pray for employment

Discussion in 'Prayer requests' started by PotatoSack, Jul 6, 2011.

1. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    That would be pretty funny!! I don't fare well in office politics...I'd be chewed up and spit out 5 days a week by career politicians!! The summer was slow for the job search, which is normal. I need to make hay between labor day and thanksgiving, which is a pretty good time to look. Thanks for your continued prayers!

2. Lee

Lee Principalities

Please know that I pray for your employment daily and MC's as well and any others on the forum who need gainful employment but I found this yesterday and it really struck a cord.
    It's from writings of Sr. Mary of the Holy Trinity (1901-1942) Jesus was speaking to her and said:
    "When you have all that is necessary, you deprive Me of the joy of taking care of you."

It showed me that I need real confidence in Christ.

3. Rain

Rain Powers

Looking for employement is SOOO stressful. I've been there, will be there again soon, so I really feel for all of you. Lee, that's quote form Sr. Mary of the Holy Trinity is comforting . . . mostly.

4. Lee

Lee Principalities

Rain, you have so been on my mind and in my prayers today, did you feel it?

The quote helps if you SURRENDER...ha...I know it's really really hard. :lol:

5. MomsCalling

MomsCalling Principalities

That quote does make you think, doesn't it?

Several very hopeful possibilities have just fallen to the curb for me again...it is so frustrating, but then other things happen to keep you going, like my wonderful daughter coming to visit this weekend. There is something still hopeful in the works for me, but it is such a longshot, I am trying to surrender and trust it to God, its hard to do though and I am not good at it yet. Thank you for your continued prayers!

6. Lee

Lee Principalities

Prayers every day, every day. God knows what He's doing...we are the ones in the dark. We walk by faith, not by sight.

7. grimisocks

grimisocks Archangels

New member here. Any news on the job front lads?

8. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

Hi Grimisocks - welcome to the forum. I've been meaning to post on this thread for a little while. Since you've brought it up to the top, I'll give everyone an update.

Unfortunately I am still in need of the prayers of everyone on this forum. The good news is I have been working a seasonal retail job since thanksgiving, and it is a good fit for me and I've enjoyed it. Since I'm not a big shopper even in good times, there were few retail jobs I would have been happy with. But this seemed to come from God, as it is a great company and sells products I enjoy and they treat you very well. I've managed to get close to 40 hours per week through the holidays, but now the hours have dropped like a stone. Even at 40 hours I barely was able to cover my bills (it takes 2 paychecks just to cover my health insurance), and now I don't make enough to break even. I'm hopeful I can stay on after the holidays (they still don't know how many seasonal employees they will be able to keep beyond February), but even if I am lucky enough to stay on, I will need to get another part time retail job to pay my bills. I have been applying for additional p/t help, so please pray that something comes through.

I am thankful for the seasonal job, but it is not the answer to my problems, as I need a real career job to recover financially and get back on my own (I have been living with family for over a year and I can't stay here forever). Since I have had problems getting a job in what I have been doing the past 15 years, I have prayerfully asked God to send me a sign for what direction I should be going in for my career. Within a week the 2 leads I had (where I knew people at the company) ended up with closed doors. So since then I have been re-positioning myself and my skillset for a similer job where I am a decent fit and should be able to get some interviews. I've connected with a recruiter who agrees with my new direction and has some good connections. She sent my resume to one of her connections with an opening that would be a very good fit for me, but I did not hear from them all week. There is another possibility at another company, but they will not finalize their hiring plans until the end of the month. I've also found some faith based business networking groups I've joined, and I have a networking event coming up this Thursday. So I have a glimmer of hope, but I'll admit to feeling pretty down that I did not hear back this week from that company with the position that I'm a good fit for.

From a prayer perspective, I've been trying very hard to feel confident that God will provide for me. On Jan 21st I will finish a 54 day rosary novena for a job (this is the 2nd 54-day rosary novena I've done since this thread started, although that novena was for a family member far from God). At about the same time I'll be completing a novena for work to Saint Josemaria Escriva. I've also done the Mary Untier of Knots novena and have been daily praying the prayer for work Padraig posted some time ago. I've also been praying to Mary Magdeline for a job for about 2 months now. I've fasted a few times (although that's hard since work is physical) and I have been bringing this cause to Jesus every week in adoration for 2 years now. For the past 2 weeks each night I've prayed the Memorare 9 times to the Virgin Mary to come to my assistance (this is something that Lee suggested doing). I'll admit I'm floored that other than this part time retail job, I have not really seen any fruit to my prayers for a job. I don't know what else to do besides ask for your prayers. I cling to what it says in Matthew about God providing for all of our needs...that God has a plan for my life that includes a future and hope...that there is no problem that can't be resolved by reciting the rosary. I cling to all this. But with my hours being dropped at the retail store and running on a negative cash flow for a few years now, I will not meet my bills in January. If Jesus does provide for all of our needs (especially if we are seeking the kingdom and rightesness), then I need Him to do this in January. I don't know if it's wrong to think this way, but I'm clinging to the promises made in the bible, and I'm trying my best to do His will and I long for the peace Our Lady speaks about in the Medj messages.

So please if you could pray for me. And you can also pray for my car, as the check engine light keeps going on and off and I can't afford a car repair at the moment.

9. Mario

Mario Powers

PotatoSack,

I have not forgotten and I will not give up! LOL! :D

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

10. padraig

padraig Powers

You faith is just amazing, PS. I will offer up my mases this week and pray to our Lady at bed time/

11. grimisocks

grimisocks Archangels

I'll pray for your intentions tonight PS. I too am having job issues, but entirely of my own making. I made a grievous error of judgement in my career last year and was dismissed. I'm in turmoil most days and when I think of my future employment prospects, terror takes hold.
    I shall be instigating a new thread for prayers for my intentions soon as to not to bush whack this one.
    Regards...

12. padraig

padraig Powers

[​IMG]

Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

It constantly reassures me and is balm for the soul when I consider the words of St Paul, that, 'For those who love God ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER UNTO THE GOOD'

God then is the great 'fixer' and in Him are no mistakes , no mistakes at all.

For someone like myself who has been a very great sinner and in prison contemplating suicide and in human terms has made a terrible mess of his life this is a great joy. For I see this promise fulfilled in my own life for I now find myself the happiest and most fulfilled person I know. There are Crossess, yes but even the Crosses, no especially the Crosses and the wonderful chance to bear them are the source of the greatest possible joy.

For where is joy except in walking with Him to Calvary for the Salvation of souls?

So now I know there are no left turns, no false paths only one true path in love to walk to thefiery furnace of the loving heart of a loving and most merciful God.

[​IMG]

13. MomsCalling

Hi Grimisocks,
    That is such a funny name! :lol:

Bushwhack away!!! This is by no means any particular person's thread, it is meant for anyone, so you can post right here. Potatosack, if I were to replace retail with substitute teaching (and take out the 2nd 54 day novena) I could almost ditto your post! I am very glad you got that retail job, as it eased your holidays I am sure. You said that you will not make bills in January. Well, I am not in that position yet so I am going to shift my prayers for employment to you until you get a job. They haven't been too fruitful for me lately, so perhaps they will help you more in unison with everyone else here.

As for me, I am still substitute teaching. It amounts to 3-4 days a week, at $70-85 a day depending on which district calls me. Not paying the bills either, but giving me great experiences and even some hugs! I have actually been slacking off on praying for a different job because I like what I am doing, but I NEED a financial answer or I too will be in your position before too long. I still have some retirement savings left. I am still living on that along with the little bit I am making teaching. Every day I have a St. Joseph coin in my pocket with an employment prayer on it which I pray (I got it at the Our Lady of Good Help Shrine). I know my mom is still praying for me too. I have not had an interview for my regular career path for many months now. I too have looked at faith-based jobs, but no opportunities have come that way either.

Last time I was at Marytown, a book was "thrown" at my feet. This is my latest miracle. It was called "Mary of Nazareth". It fell with a loud crack from a bottom shelf in the gift shop, right at my feet. I put it back. I wasn't looking for a book about Mary, I was there to have it out with God again about my vocation...my religious vocation and employment...either/or or as one. I was there to think about my franciscan stuff and to pray about my job situation. Well, the darn book smacked down to the floor a second time! So I picked it up and briefly looked at it. It looked like it was about her mysteries (joys/sorrows). I Said, "Ok, God, I'll buy it." It wasn't for several weeks after I came home that I remembered about the book, still in the bag. I thought perhaps I should get 'round to reading it since God seemed so insistant that I buy it. Well, was I in for a shock! The entire book is about VOCATIONS!!! Vocations in life, what God is calling you to do, to be, to work! It looks at vocations from the perspective of Mary's vocations, which is an extremely interesting and surprising way to look at things! Why do I not listen when God speaks to me in these ways? Anyway, it has helped me to understand things more interiorly and to slow down and try to be more contemplative about all this.

I think God is preparing me for a much lower income. I think he is teaching me to be humble. I think he is telling me that my days of marketing management for big companies is over. That it is time to put service ahead of profit. I don't know how this is going to pay my huge student and parent loans still in deferrment, but I have to trust in Him. I'm trying. It is very hard. I still have a third of the book to read...for some reason I am not reading it again. I must get back and finish it.

I am trying another avenue too. I am trying to get into the accellerated progam for professionals to become teachers. I am working with a university a few hours away. This has also been very slow and frustrating. I am hearing nothing, with the winter break in the middle of everything. They don't know if they can accept me into the program or not. So God is once again teaching me patience. A teacher's salary is a lot less than my old salary, but it would at least pay the bills. I could get by on it. So I am waiting. It will cost a LOT of money to do the summer program, and will exhaust most of the savings I have left, although my mom says she will help too, I do not want to take any more student loans out. So I pray now for God to show me if this is the way he wants me to go, or if there is another path. Patience and contemplation, very hard things to practice right now. Maybe there is more in that book...I should read it tonight now that I am thinking about it.

14. padraig

padraig Powers

I'll pray for you at mss this morning, Connie!

Watch out for flying books!! :lol: :lol:

15. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

Thanks for your continued prayers MC, Mario and Padraig! And thanks for your prayers Grimisocks. I hesitate to continue to post on this subject, because I always feel like I am whining and complaining and everyone must be tired of hearing from me on this, but I know the prayers of this forum ring loud in the heavens...so the thread continues...

Padraig - it may sound like my faith is strong, but I don't feel like it. I'm just trying to keep my head above water but the water keeps rising and no life jacket is within reach, so the result is me praying my brains out with a tremendous sense of urgency. So it's more desperation than faith :roll: But I really feel God is stripping everything away from me so that I only rely on Him. Whenever I tell Him I have no more to give and this must be rock bottom my check engine light goes on in my car or something like that :lol:

I will keep this thought and others like it close to my heart because it is statements like this that give me hope that this will end soon for me. I have to remember that all that is happening is for the betterment of my soul, and trust that God knows what is best for me. But I just wish this would end soon!

Good for you MC in making some in-roads on your vocation, etc. Wonderful to see God working in your life with the book falling at your feet :D That in and of itself should give you great hope. When I picked my saints (in the saint thread), I got a great feeling of Mary in heaven working on my problems and that made me feel much better! I pray for more little graces like that!!

Grimisocks - I'll pray for your situation. Trust me, I've made many bad decisions that have made the situation I'm in worse, so I'm not blameless at all. I recommend you do the Mary Untier of Knots novena, as the meditations will make you think deeply about mistakes along the way that have contributed to the situation or knot in your life. The way to overcome this seems to be forgiving yourself for what you have done to put yourself in this situation. That's something I'm still working on for myself. I suggest this novena to you as a great starting point.

http://www.theholyrosary.org/maryundoerknots

16. MomsCalling

Potatosack,
    Remember that God never gives us a cross that we cannot bear. That said though, it still gets desperate-feeling and even anger-inducing, doesn't it? The last two times I went to Marytown, I went there to "have it out" with God and myself. I was not going there in a happy mood, I was going there to call God out, so to speak.

Each time, I got answers, (like the Franciscan pamphlet the first time and the book this last time) but still I am not employed enough to stay out of my retirement savings. He is helping me with my spiritual vocation, but not so much with my employment vocation...the only thing I can figure out is he is helping me to elimnate possibilities and see a new path. This is frustrating and depressing though because it means throwing away what I have been doing up to now. Maybe I should do that novena you recommended too. I think God is doing that to me also, making me look hard at the mistakes I have made and the wrong choices I made for the sake of money or just to be "easier". Pray on, pray on.

17. Rain

Rain Powers

Lots of people struggling with employment these days, which doesn't make it any easier. I'm making a small offering for you today and I'm Keeping you in my prayers.