'Pope' Benedict speaks!

Discussion in 'Pope Francis' started by garabandal, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

Haha that’s for sure.

God works in mysterious ways.

upload_2020-1-15_22-12-39.jpeg

Beth B and earthtoangels like this.
  2. padraig

padraig Powers

Iget the strangest feeling the Archbishop doesn''t like Pope Francis very much.:):);)

Beth B, AED, Carol55 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Beth B, fallen saint, Tanker and 2 others like this.
  4. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

We here on the forum on the other hand love the man. Right?

View attachment 11783

5. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

If the first printing is the original book, as I understand, it will be worth something as a collector's item. I think it is the second printing that will be where the changes take place,

AED likes this.
  6. Sam

Sam Powers

424e03691acae82418b1b40fdbfe3db6543929fdbe8c8620cab931797836fd2d.jpg

:whistle:

Beth B, Carol55, josephite and 11 others like this.
  7. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

8. AED

AED Powers

There are I truly believe still some very good and holy bishops and Cardinals and priests. I know some and I am very suspicious by nature--having learned of some of this in the early 1980's--and these prelates seem to be the real deal. I dont think we can conceive of the courage it takes to stand against the corruption. And outright physical danger. Archbishop Vigano for example.
    But much prayer and sacrifice is needed.

Beth B, josephite, Dolours and 3 others like this.
  9. AED

AED Powers

Wow. Powerful. Gloves off!

Mary's child and Carol55 like this.
  10. AED

AED Powers

I thought there might have been coersion.

Beth B, HeavenlyHosts and Jo M like this.
  11. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Truly sad that this is happening. I can't stop thinking about PE Benedict. :(:cry:

12. padraig

padraig Powers

Prayers. Poor old man. He should be getting loads of Peace and Quiet. Instead....?

13. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Guest

Beth B likes this.
  14. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Guest

Beth B, Sam and BrianK like this.
  15. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Beth B and SgCatholic like this.
  16. BrianK

BrianK Guest

(It’s satire.)

https://ecclesandbosco.blogspot.com/2020/01/francis-and-benedict-agree-deal.html

Francis and Benedict agree a deal
    The scene: Emeritus Pope Benedict's apartment. Benedict is sitting at a desk, putting his finishing touches to a new manuscript "From the depths of the Joy of Love", soon to appear as a collaborative venture with Cardinals Burke and Brandmüller (I wouldn't be so sure about that). Enter Archbishop Georg Gänswein, perturbed.
    [​IMG]

A crisis in the Vatican!

Gänswein: Holy Emeritus Father, we're in a mess here. The other Holy Father is seething with rage at your book with Cardinal Sarah. He's already slapped six pilgrims today, and he's wearing boxing gloves for his audience this morning. He says Pachamama is very angry!

Benedict: But what did we do? The book simply restates traditional Catholic teaching. Oh... I see the problem...

Gänswein: The attack poodles have been deployed. The big hitters such as Ivereigh, Beans (he's been tweeting non-stop for 48 hours, having injections of gelato to keep him going), Mickens, ... not to mention the small hitters such as Rich Raho the dunce of the class.

[​IMG]

"Look, it's only Rosica who takes credit for other people's work."

Benedict: What does Sarah say?

Gänswein: What can he say? He wrote some of the book, you wrote some of the book. This is what we technically call a joint work. But the Fat Controller wants you to say that Sarah was the author, and all you did was wake up and nod occasionally as he read the book out.

Benedict: Ask the guys at Ignatius Press what really happened.

Gänswein: We did. They used Ignatian discernment (following a spot of Ignatian yoga) to determine that you really are one of the authors.

[​IMG]

"The Ignatius Press is one of my favourite yoga positions," says papal aide-de-camp Fr Jim.

Benedict: Look, I don't care. I don't need the fame or the royalties. Imagine having to do a book tour like poor Ivereigh, where only two children and a dog turn up to each lecture, and the dog won't stop howling. I'll take my name off it, on one condition.

Gänswein: Anything...

Benedict: Tell Francis to take his name off Amoris Laetitia. It could be labelled, "By Lorenzo Baldisseri in discussion with Pope Francis."

Gänswein: That could be the deal we're looking for!

Sam, AED and Don_D like this.
  17. AED

AED Powers

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

18. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Guest

Wow! Things are really heating up!

Abp Viganò denounces Benedict’s secretary for ‘abusive and systematic control’ of Pope Emeritus
    'Gänswein,' Viganò claims, 'habitually filtered information, arrogating to himself the right to judge how opportune or not it was to send it to the Holy Father.'
    Thu Jan 16, 2020 - 1:00 am EST

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/a...usive-and-systematic-control-of-pope-emeritus

+

Beth B and josephite like this.
  19. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Guest

Publisher Bucks Request to Remove Benedict’s Name From Book
    Cdl. Sarah categorically rejects accusations of deceit

https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/cdl-sarah-defends-himself
    by David Nussman • ChurchMilitant.com • January 14, 2020

VATICAN CITY (ChurchMilitant.com) - Despite backlash from theological liberals, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI will still be listed as the co-author of a book defending celibacy — at least in the English version.

Theological liberals have been pushing back against From the Depths of Our Hearts, a new book by Cdl. Robert Sarah and Benedict on the priesthood and the origins of priestly celibacy. Originally written in French, an English translation of the book will be published by Ignatius Press.

On Monday, some began casting doubt on Benedict's involvement in the book. Journalists claimed to have heard from sources close to the matter that Benedict did not intend to co-author a book — implying Cdl. Sarah had manipulated the 92-year-old retired pontiff to give the work greater credence and publicity.

Cardinal Sarah hit back by providing proof he collaborated with Benedict. Nonetheless, Benedict's personal secretary made a request to Cdl. Sarah to tell the publishers to stop listing Benedict as a co-author. After the request, Cdl. Sarah announced on Tuesday, "Considering the controversies that the publication of the book From the Depths of Our Hearts has provoked, it is decided that the author of the book for future publications will be: 'Cdl. Sarah, with the contribution of Benedict XVI.'"

"However, the full text remains absolutely unchanged," he added.

In spite of the requested change, Ignatius Press is standing firm and will continue to name Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI as a co-author.

Mark Brumley, president of Ignatius Press, said in a statement Tuesday:

Ignatius Press published the text as we received it from the French publisher Fayard. Fayard is the publisher with whom we have collaborated on three other Cdl. Sarah titles. The text we received indicates the two authors are Benedict XVI and Cdl. Sarah. That text also indicates that Benedict XVI co-authored an introduction and a conclusion with Cdl. Sarah, as well as his own chapter on the priesthood, wherein he describes how his exchanges with Cdl. Sarah gave him the strength to complete what would have gone unfinished.

Given that, according to Benedict XVI's correspondence and Cdl. Sarah's statement, the two men collaborated on this book for several months, that none of the essays have appeared elsewhere, and that a joint work as defined by the Chicago Manual of Style is "a work prepared by two or more authors with the intention that their contribution be merged into inseparable or interdependent parts of a unitary whole," Ignatius Press considers this a co-authored publication.

Church Militant asked French publishing company Fayard if Benedict will still be listed as a co-author, but received no response as of press time.

Ignatius Press considers this a co-authored publication.Tweet
    The social media controversy about Benedict's authorship began on Monday.

Eva Fernández, Vatican correspondent for a radio station owned by the Spanish Bishops' Conference, claimed a source told her Benedict XVI did not collaborate with Cdl. Sarah and did not approve the publication of the book.

The same day, a similar claim was touted on Twitter by Gerard O'Connell, Vatican correspondent for America Magazine.

Shortly afterward, Cdl. Sarah presented clear evidence that he did, in fact, collaborate with Benedict. He tweeted photographs of three letters Benedict wrote to him over the course of three months. In one of the letters, dated Nov. 25, the pope emeritus wrote to the cardinal, "As for my part, the text can be published in the form you have provided."

As blowback continued, German Abp. Georg Gänswein, Benedict XVI's personal secretary, reached out to Cdl. Sarah Tuesday morning. Gänswein told the pressthat he "asked Cdl. Robert Sarah to contact the book's publishers and request them to remove Benedict XVI's name as co-author of the book, and remove his signature from the introduction and the conclusions too."

In an official statement in French on Tuesday, Cdl. Sarah issued a clarification about the timeline of his communications with the pope emeritus. He also commented, "The controversy, which for several hours aims to soil me by insinuating that Benedict XVI was not informed of the publication of the book, is profoundly abject. I sincerely forgive all those who slander me or who want to oppose me against Pope Francis."

"My attachment to Benedict XVI remains intact," he stated, "and my filial obedience to Pope Francis, absolute."

I sincerely forgive all those who are slandering me.Tweet
    Though he asked Cdl. Sarah to change the authorship, Abp. Gänswein confirmed that Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI "knew that the cardinal was preparing a book, and he sent him a text on the priesthood, authorizing him to use it as he wanted."

"But he did not approve a project for a co-authored book, and he had not seen or authorized the cover," Gänswein added. "It is a misunderstanding that does not raise questions about Cdl. Sarah's good faith."

[​IMG]
    'From the Depths of Our Hearts'
    Along with doubts about Benedict XVI's authorship, those critical of the book accused theologically orthodox Churchmen of trying to prop up the retired pontiff as a "parallel Magisterium."

Papal biographer Austen Ivereigh tweeted, "The authority of Francis is undermined, and Benedict made to look interfering. It is intolerable."

In like manner, canon law professor Kurt Martens opined, "A former pope should not speak in public about anything at all."

Historian Massimo Faggioli, a contributor at Commonweal, remarked, "This is grotesque and obscene for anyone who cares about the dignity of the office of Peter."

Some faithful Catholics suspect the latest move — asking Cdl. Sarah to remove Benedict as co-author — was done to avoid giving fuel to the "parallel Magisterium" narrative.

Cardinal Sarah's and Benedict's defense of priestly celibacy comes in the wake of the Pan-Amazonian Synod that convened in Rome in October. One synod proposal called for allowing married men in the Amazon to be ordained to the priesthood, citing the small number of priests currently in the region.

+

20. Carol55

Carol55 Ave Maria

upload_2020-1-16_8-13-38.png
    Jan. 14, 2020
    Unpacking the Benedict XVI-Cardinal Sarah Book Fiasco
    The book’s rollout caused a backlash against Benedict appearing as co-author of the book, even though it appears the Pope Emeritus had given at least tacit prior approval for the full manuscript.
    Edward Pentin | http://www.ncregister.com/blog/edward-pentin/unpacking-the-benedict-cardinal-sarah-book-fiasco

VATICAN CITY — The controversy regarding the book on the priesthood and priestly celibacy with parts penned by Benedict XVI and Cardinal Robert Sarah has produced plenty of heat but not much light.

So what are the hard facts, as far as we know? Perhaps the first place to look is precisely what Cardinal Sarah and Benedict had previously agreed upon concerning the book entitled From the Depths of Our Hearts: Priesthood, Celibacy and the Crisis of the Catholic Church.

Beginning with Cardinal Sarah’s statement, published Jan. 14, we learn that:
    • On Sept. 5 last year, after visiting Benedict XVI at his Mater Ecclesiae residence, Cardinal Sarah wrote to the Pope Emeritus to ask him to write a text on the priesthood, especially on celibacy.
    • He told him he didn’t expect Benedict to agree because of the “polemics” that such reflections could “potentially stir in the media” but that he was “convinced the entire Church needs this gift” that could be published around Christmas.
    • On Sept. 20 Benedict replied, saying he had actually begun to write a text on the subject and Cardinal Sarah’s letter had encouraged him to finish the task.
    • On Oct. 12, Benedict gave him a “long text” and Cardinal Sarah thought it too profound and lengthy for a newspaper. He therefore “proposed to the pope the publication of a book, integrating his own texts as well as mine.”
    • Following “several exchanges in order to develop the book,” on Nov. 19 he sent a “complete manuscript” to Benedict, “as we had jointly decided, the cover, a common introduction and conclusion, the text of Benedict XVI and my own text.”
    • On Nov. 25, the Pope Emeritus expressed his “great satisfaction concerning the sections prepared in common” and wrote a key sentence: “For my part, the text can be published in the form which you have planned.”
    • On Dec. 3, he visited Benedict to explain “our book” would be printed over the Christmas holidays and released on Jan. 15 and that he would “bring him the work at the beginning of January after returning from a trip to my homeland.”
    Following the announcement of the book which first appeared in the French newspaper Le Figaro on Jan. 12, a storm of criticism ensued against the cardinal and the pope emeritus, portraying both of them as at odds with Pope Francis and criticizing the cardinal for “using” Benedict in his dotage. Cardinal Sarah, widely seen as an honest man of integrity, said in his statement: “The polemic which has aimed to tarnish me for several hours by implying that Benedict was not informed of the appearance of the book From the Depths of Our Hearts is completely despicable.” He also said he “sincerely forgive those who calumny me or who desire to put me in opposition to Pope Francis.”

“My attachment to Benedict remains intact, and my filial obedience to Pope Francis absolute,” he wrote.

In letters from Benedict to Cardinal Sarah, also published by the cardinal on Jan. 13, we have the confirmation from Benedict that prior to his letter, he had already begun “some reflections on the priesthood” but that his physical strength no longer allowed him to edit a theological text.

Noting the cardinal’s “particular attention to celibacy” he then said the cardinal’s letter prompted him to “resume my work” on the reflections and then to “pass on to you the text” once translated from German into Italian. “I leave it to you [to determine] if these notes, whose insufficiency I feel strongly, can be of any use,” he wrote.

Benedict repeated a similar sentiment in his Oct. 12 letter to the cardinal that accompanied his text, saying, “I shall leave it to you if you find any use in my poor thoughts.”

In a third letter to the cardinal on Nov. 25, Benedict expressed his heartfelt thanks for “all the work you have done” regarding the sections written in common, the introduction and conclusion.

“It touched me deeply that you understood my last intentions: I had actually written 7 pages clarifying the methodology of my text and I am truly happy to say that you were able to say the essential in half a page. So, I do not see a need to send you the 7 pages, since you have expressed the essentials in half a page,” Benedict wrote.

Then, he added: “For my part, the text can be published in the form that you have planned.”

In a tweet accompanying the letters, Cardinal Sarah commented that the attacks against him, that he and Benedict were not co-authors, “seem to imply a lie on my part,” adding that these “defamations are of exceptional gravity.”

In a further tweet on Jan. 14, he wrote: “I solemnly affirm that Benedict XVI knew our project would take the form of a book. I can say that we exchanged several proofs to make the corrections. I will issue a more detailed statement this morning to set the record straight. +RS”

A further element to this story is a commentary by Andrea Tornielli, editorial director of Vatican News, who wrote Jan. 13 that the book “bears the signatures” of both Benedict XVI and Cardinal Sarah, also for the introduction and conclusion. In a neutral piece, Tornielli noted it had been written “in filial obedience to Pope Francis” and the authors “are seeking the truth” in “a spirit of love for the unity of the Church.” He then reiterated Pope Francis’ statements on priestly celibacy.

And yet, just a few hours after Cardinal Sarah's morning statement on Jan. 14, Archbishop Georg Gänswein told the Italian news agency ANSA: “I can confirm that this morning I acted on instructions from the Pope Emeritus and I asked Cardinal Robert Sarah to contact the book’s publishers and request them to remove Benedict XVI’s name as co-author of the book and remove his signature from the introduction and the conclusions too.”

“The Pope Emeritus knew that the cardinal was preparing a book and he sent him a text on the priesthood authorizing him to use it as he wanted. But he did not approve a project for a co-authored book and he had not seen or authorized the cover,” Archbishop Gänswein continued. “It is a misunderstanding that does not raise questions about Cardinal Sarah’s good faith.”

Cardinal Sarah then tweeted: “Considering the polemics caused by the publication of the book From the Depths of Our Hearts, it was decided that the book’s author for future publications will be: ‘Cardinal Sarah, with the contribution of Benedict XVI.’ However, the full text remains absolutely unchanged. +RS.”

Judging from the letters supplied by Cardinal Sarah over the last couple days, relations between all parties seemed relatively harmonious until news of the book broke that the Pope Emeritus and Cardinal Sarah were co-authors. Two reliable sources have told the Register that Tornielli phoned Archbishop Gänswein on Jan. 13 and Jan. 14 to discuss the book.

So what then happened? Was Benedict perhaps taken aback by the furore in some quarters that his name on the book appeared to cause and so distanced himself from the project? Had Nicolas Diat, the book’s editor, perhaps been too rash to include Benedict as co-author, even though Benedict had seen the title and cover and had not expressed his prior disapproval?

Or did Archbishop Gänswein feel pressured by the backlash the book was receiving from parts of the media, the Vatican and Santa Marta (perhaps via Tornielli), and so convinced Benedict to walk back his involvement?

The Register asked both Archbishop Gänswein and Nicolas Diat for comment. Archbishop Gänswein has yet to respond, but on Jan. 15 Diat confirmed to the Register Cardinal Sarah’s summary of events, most notably stressing that the cardinal showed Benedict in person a draft copy of the cover during a private audience.

“Cardinal Sarah sent a confidential letter [to Benedict] on Nov. 19 with the full text. The proofs were complete: introduction, the two texts, and the conclusion,” Diat explained. “Then, on Dec. 3, he showed the draft cover during an audience with Benedict XVI.”

Diat also maintains that as recently as last Thursday, Jan. 9, Archbishop Gänswein spoke with Davide Cantagalli who is working on the Italian edition, and that during their conversation Archbishop Gänswein “gave his support for all the work the Italian editors were doing.” Cantagalli told the Register that Diat’s comments regarding him were “false” but would not offer further details when asked.

This article has been updated to include Nicolas Diat's comments.

Edited to add:

Pope Benedict Co-Authors New Book With Cardinal Sarah on the Priesthood
    UPDATED: The book, entitled From the Depths of Our Hearts, addresses the ‘dark time’ the Catholic priesthood is enduring because of Church scandals and ‘the constant questioning of their consecrated celibacy.’
    Jan. 12, 2020 | Edward Pentin | https://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/pope-emeritus-benedict-and-cardinal-sarah-collaborate

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020