1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Please pray for me and Conversion of sinners and My family

Discussion in 'Prayer requests' started by sponsa Christi, Jan 7, 2017.

1. sponsa Christi

sponsa Christi Sponsa Christi Catholic with Baptism of desire

Please I try to pray The Liturgy of The Hours. But I keeop failing. I try to pray the Angelus but Im not waking up.

I tried to rise at 4 AM to just say a prayer.

I have some OCD please pray for me.

Please pray more for me. God bless

Praetorian, Beth B, Sanctus and 2 others like this.
  2. soldier of christ

soldier of christ Principalities

Sponsa Christi,
    You sound like you are a recent convert. My advise to you is to go slow but steady. If you jump all in and try to do everything all at once you will quickly burn out and become discouraged. Focus on a couple things that are very dear to you and try to be as faithful as you can to these things. Add something new to your pray life each week or so, and then it won't seem like such a huge task instead of an encounter with Jesus your friend who you long to be with and talk to. Jesus could have built his church perfectly right from the start, but unfortunately he knew we his members are not always the smartest and faithful and he knew we would stumble.

3. I will ask my little sister Therese to help you ;) If you haven't read St Therese's dark night of the soul I would encourage you to do so, her little way in approaching faith and duty is highly recommended..:)

Jeanne and Praetorian like this.
  4. sponsa Christi

sponsa Christi Sponsa Christi Catholic with Baptism of desire

amen

Praetorian likes this.
  5. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I suggest that you talk to a priest, tell him that you have OCD issues and ask his advice.

Prayer isn't meant to make us anxious or afraid of failure. A priest once told us that what we call "fear" of God would more properly be translated as "awe". That makes sense to me because God doesn't want us to be terrified of Him. God is love and he wants us to love Him. He is all powerful and just but he is also merciful and never cruel.

Nobody is required to wake up at 4 a.m. to pray unless they are members of a consecrated religious community with rules of obedience that include praying at set times. Get your normal night's sleep and start your morning by thanking God for your blessings, offering to Him all your thoughts, words and deeds of the day and then say whichever prayers you feel comfortable praying within the time available before starting your day. The usual times for praying the Angelus are 6 a.m., 12 noon and 6 p.m. but it's a good prayer at any time of the day so it's ok to include it in your morning prayers at 7, 8, or 9 a.m. if that's when you wake up.

Ever since I was a child, I have the habit of praying what the Nuns called "aspirations" throughout the day. They are little one-line silent prayers that keep me in touch with God. Examples are: "Jesus I trust in you"; "Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in you"; "O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to you"; "My Jesus Mercy"; or the Fatima prayer "O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell and lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Your mercy". I don't say them all, just whichever one pops into my head.

Jesus taught us to pray the Our Father. Our Lady asked that we pray the Rosary which includes the Our Father, the Hail Mary and the Glory Be to the Father. Even one decade of the Rosary is better than none at all and there are no set times for praying it. The best time for me is at night when I'm less inclined to rush through it because I'm in a hurry to go somewhere.

It's good to read the Bible but don't feel a need to get through a set number of passages. Maybe read a Psalm or two which is also praying.

God bless you. Stop worrying and have a chat with a priest.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  6. heyshepard

heyshepard Principalities

Please take your time and believe it or not enjoy your prayers. Not at specific time but when you are awake. Pray always and be joyous of God's mercy. I tried to believe that God wanted me to be a deacon. It wasn't until I understood that God's plans are different for all and that my calling was to be the best father and protector of my family I could be. I'm not saying that your is not to be a bride of Christ. I respect your calling very much but it has to feel like it comes naturally. I felt bad that I wasn't going to be a deacon but I'm ok now that I understand I can still do everything to bring the word of God to the world.

Praetorian, josephite and Dolours like this.
  7. heyshepard

heyshepard Principalities

Sponsa if you want to pm me we can talk. God bless.

8. Clare A

Clare A Archangels

The great Abbot John Chapman had some wonderful advice which was intended for all, monks and lay alike, pray as you can and not as you can't.

Start with, say, five minutes of prayer. Any kind of prayer. As St John Paul said, pray as your mother taught you, pray in whatever way you find easiest, but the important thing is that you do pray. Ask Mary and your guardian angel to teach you to pray.

There is a booklet called Magnificat which is produced monthly and contains some of the Divine Office for every day. It's simpler and has some lovely devotional commentary as well.

Start simple and slow and build it up gradually.

Praetorian, josephite and Dolours like this.
  9. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

These are all great answers :)
    I have a little OCD too Sponsa, it sounds like that is a big part of the problem.
    Follow the advice above, especially about talking to a priest and you will get on the right track.

Dolours likes this.