1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Pius XII himself said he was the "last Pope"

Discussion in 'Positive Critique' started by SgCatholic, Nov 15, 2017.

1. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

I only heard/ read about MDM after joining this MOG forum. I gathered then that her messages were condemned by the Church.
    I haven't really read her messages, only snippets mentioned by members here.
    Even when dismissing her messages, I believe that PF cannot be 'Peter the Roman" that was prophesied by St Malachy. Just my humble opinion.

2. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

I have read somewhere that some people believe Pope Francis fulfills St Malachy’s prophesy of Peter the Roman in that Jorge Bergoglio’s father is Italian (his mother is Argentine) and St Francis of Assisi whose name he took was born Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone. So the Roman fulfilled by his half Italian and Peter by St Francis’ full name. This method of thinking was done for one of the other popes as well I believe.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  3. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

There are problems with the pedigree of the list of Popes attributed to St. Malachy, but even if one accepts it as accurate we know that it does not predict all of the Popes until the end of time as there are prophecies approved by the Church that mention Popes in the future. It has long been thought that the list only includes all of the Popes until the end of the age, not the true end of time. Most likely the end of the same 5th age as predicted by Venerable Bartholomew Holzhauser. Some scholars say there most likely could be an interregnum after the final Pope listed and the entry of "Peter the Roman" who will be the last Pope. Or maybe that entry is just St. Peter coming back to collect the Church at the end of time or some such.

In either case, if Pope Francis is not on the list it doesn't matter much because neither are the rest of the Popes who will reign during and after the Chastisement. If this is a real list then most likely all it tells us is that we have arrived at the end of the list and the end of the Popes of this age.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  4. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I have heard this and I can see it is far better than PF not being a Pope. He is the Pope.
    St. Malachy did indeed use some codes and descriptive puns on the names of the individual popes. Thanks for the post, DM.
    Thanks also for your clarification, Prae.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  5. Richard67

Richard67 Powers

I would be very careful with this alleged St. Malachy prophecy, especially since it is unapproved and is of dubious origins:

In the late 16th century there was a prophecy published that supposedly contained what The Prophecy of the Popes; this prophecy was supposedly linked to an Irish Bishop, Saint Malachy, who lived in the 12th century.

Here's the deal:

1. The prophecy contains a list of the names of 112 popes, beginning with Pope Celestine II who reigned over the church in the 12th century.
    2. The list ends with a pope by the mysterious name of Petrus Romanus, 'Peter the Roman.'
    3. When you count out all the popes, Pope Benedict XVI is supposed to be the last pope before 'Peter the Roman' is elected
    4. When 'Peter the Roman' is the pope, Rome will be destroyed and the Apocalypse will begin
    5. So basically, the prophecy states that the next pope elected will be the last pope the Catholic Church will ever have and the world will end during his pontificate.
    This is definitely not a teaching of the Catholic Church. It's true that plenty of saints have been granted visions, and God is constantly revealing things to his prophets and apostles all through the Bible.

However, there are two big obstacles that stand in the way of being able to label this 'prophecy' as anything close to legit.

The Historical Facts

First, while the prophecy is supposed to have been written down by Saint Malachy in the 12th century, it was never spoken of even once before it surprisingly appeared out of nowhere at the very end of the 16th century. For a prophecy that supposedly predicts the Apocalypse in great detail, that's an amazing fact! Would a true prophecy really go more than 400 years without being mentioned even a single time? I don't think so.

Second, while the prophecy proves to be rather accurate about all the popes before the 16th century, it is extremely vague and inaccurate for the popes who came after.

Basically what that means is this:

• The 'prophecy' was written at the end of the 16th century
    • So, whoever originally wrote it could simply look at the history of who had been pope, and be extremely accurate up to his own day
    • For the list of the popes who would come after, it was just an elaborate and imaginative prediction of what would happen...
    https://lifeteen.com/blog/the-last-pope-ever-the-truth-about-the-st-malachy-prophecy/

HeavenlyHosts and Praetorian like this.
  6. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

Thanks Richard, like you I've researched the pedigree of this prophecy and so I definitely don't put it in my rock-solid category. In fact I tend to shy away from it. I will say one thing for it though, it did predict the last century's Popes fairly well. In addition I find it quite stunning that the list of Popes it predicts ends at this particular time. One can't simply shift that off to one side easily. If whoever wrote these prophecies was just shooting blindly at a target they hit a bullseye as far as timing goes ;)

To be fair, the statement in your above post that these prophecies predict the end time happening in some particular way that contradicts Catholic teaching does not seem accurate. All they really say is that there will be a certain number of Popes and at some point there will come a final Pope who will reign during the final tribulations.

"In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End."

As far as I can see this does not go against the Church teaching on the matter. In fact they are even cited in the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia and Cornelius a Lapide even referenced them in several of his works and tried to tabulate the approximate time period the list would terminate in.

I would agree though there is a lot of room for guessing as to their veracity.

7. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

For those who are interested here is a list of some of the 19th and 20th century Popes on the list, the Latin name given to them in list, the English translation of the Latin, and the suspected possible correlation they have to the Pontiff who reigned at the time.

256 Gregory XVI (1831-1846) 100 De balneis hetruriæ
    (bath of Etruria)
    Hist.: prior to his election he was member of an order founded by Saint Romuald, at Balneo, in Etruria, present day Toscany.

257 Pius IX (1846-1878) 101 Crux de cruce
    (Cross of Crosses)
    Hist.: Pius XI was the last Pope to reign over the Papal States (the middle third of what is today Italy). He ended up being a prisoner of the Vatican, never venturing outside Vatican City. A much heavier burden than his predecessors.

258 Leo XIII (1878-1903) 102 Lumen in cælo
    (Light in the Heavens)
    Hist.: Leo XIII wrote encyclicals on Catholic social teaching that were still being digested 100 years later. He added considerably to theology.

259 St. Pius X (1903-1914) 103 Ignis ardens
    (ardent fire)
    Hist.: The Pope had great personal piety and achieved a number of important reforms in the devotional and liturgical life of priests and laypeople.

260 Benedict XV (1914-1922) 104 Religio depopulata
    (Religion laid waste)
    Hist.: This Pope reigned during the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia which store the establishment of Communism.

261 Pius XI (1922-1939) 105 Fides intrepida
    (Intrepid faith)
    Hist.: This Pope stood up to Fascist and Communist forces lining up against him in the lead up to World War II.

262 Pius XII (1939-1958) 106 Pastor angelicus
    (Angelic Shepherd)
    Hist.: This Pope was very mystical, and is believed to have received visions. People would kneel when they received telephone calls from him. His encyclicals add enormously to the understanding of Catholic beliefs (even if they are now overlooked because of focus on the Second Vatican Council, which occurred so soon after his reign).

263 John XXIII (1958-1963) 107 Pastor et Nauta
    (pastor and marine)
    Hist.: prior to his election he was patriarch of Venice, a marine city, home of the gondolas

264 Paul VI (1963-1978) 108 Flos florum
    (flower of flowers)
    Hist.: his arms displayed three lilies.

265 John Paul I (1978) 109 De medietate Lunæ
    (of the half of the moon)
    Hist.: Albino Luciani, born in Canale d'Agardo, diocese of Belluno, (beautiful moon) Elected pope on August 26, his reign lasted about a month, from half a moon to the next half...

266 John Paul II (1978-2005) 110 De labore Solis
    (of the eclipse of the sun, or from the labour of the sun)
    Hist.: Karol Wojtyla was born on May 18, 1920 during a solar eclipse. He also comes from behind the former Iron Curtain (the East, where the Sun rises). He might also be seen to be the fruit of the intercession of the Woman Clothed with the Sun labouring in Revelation 12 (because of his devotion to the Virgin Mary). His Funeral occurred on 8 April, 2005 when there was a solar eclipse visible in the Americas.

267 Benedict XVI (2005-) 111 Gloria olivæ
    The Benedictine order traditionally said this Pope would come from their order, since a branch of the Benedictine order is called the Olivetans. St Benedict is said to have prophesied that before the end of the world, a member of his order would be Pope and would triumphantly lead the Church in its fight against evil. While the Holy Father chose the name "Benedict", this does not seem enough to fulfil the prophecy. Nor is it clear how Benedict XVI (a Bavarian) is "Glory of the Olives". Since he is said to have remarked in the Conclave after saying he would take the name Benedict that it was partly to honour Benedict XV, a pope of peace and reconciliation, perhaps Benedict XVI will be a peacemaker in the Church or in the World, and thus carry the olive branch.

The Final Pope
    In persecutione extrema S.R.E. sedebit Petrus Romanus, qui pascet oves in multis tribulationibus: quibus transactis civitas septicollis diruetur, & Judex tremêdus judicabit populum suum. Finis.
    (In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge his people. The End.)

8. ComeSoon!

ComeSoon! Mercy & Discernment

referring to my previous post: "Peter the Roman” is St. Peter himself, who will pasture the Church directly from the Heavens during the final persecution of the Catholic Church by the enemies that have taken their seat at the highest echelons of the Church hierarchy"
    My intention was more to call attention to St Malachy and efforts of others to interpret or clarify his prophecies. This makes sense given the great infiltration of Masons everywhere. That is not to directly state who and where.

One thing I will give credit to our current pope for is his attracting some of those fallen away back to the Church. My prayer is for those who return, they return based on the encouragement and teachings of the conservative body of Christ. May they be properly influenced and re-taught by right minded people.