1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Pilgrimage to Lough Derg

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Adoremus, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I really need to do Lough Derg. I have been meaning to do it for years but people keep putting me off, telling me I wouldn't be able for it yet apart from a dodgy back and being disgracefully lazy, I'm quite healthy.

Would it be cheating to drive up early and spend a night in a B&B near the island before doing the pilgrimage?

josephite and Julia like this.
  2. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

Another little coincidence came up at New Year and it reminded me of Lough Derg.

When I was there, it turned out one of the penitential beds was from Saint Brendan. Well I don't really know anything about Saint Brendan, except I think the Dubliners sang a song about a saint all the women used to try and temp away from his monastic choice.

Anyway, when I saw the saints name, and did the prescribed prayers. I had a little word with Saint Brendan. I told him I knew a man since our youth named after him, and knew he was a heathen. I asked Saint Brendan to pray for that person that God convert him and save his soul; because you can bet your bottom dollar that mans mammy prayed for his soul like all Irish mothers.

On New Years day that man died, and I heard he had been ill with cancer for about the last 18 months before he died. He must have been ill when I prayed for him in Lough Derg. And I pray Saint Brendan got his prayer mat out and saved that old acquaintance for eternity.
    Merciful Jesus, please cover the holy souls in Purgatory with Your most precious Blood, that You may cool down their scorching flames. Amen.

josephite likes this.
  3. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

If I win the lotto this week Josephite I will send you the fare and you will go to the ball.....well Lough Derg anyway.:ROFLMAO:

josephite and Amazing Grace like this.
  4. Border collie

Border collie Powers

Hi Dolours, of course it would not be cheating! People from the local area have the privilege of a good nights sleep prior to doing it. Lough Derg though is Lough Derg and I feel it doesn't matter if you have a good sleep or not beforehand, it will test you ;)! In doing it you will find your weaknesses but also your strengths!

5. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Good to know. Thanks. I prefer to drive than travel by bus and don't fancy being under pressure finding my way there in time to catch the boat.

Do they have some kind of visitor centre on the island where newbies can learn the procedures?

6. Border collie

Border collie Powers

Yes they have plenty of info to help, there is not a lot to it, only that it's repetitious! You will be doing it in your sleep when you come home lol!

Julia likes this.
  7. Border collie

Border collie Powers

Hi Guys, the 3 day pilgrimage commences on June the first! Hopefully a few members from here will go with the intention of reparation... I hope to go more than once if my health allows.
    Form an orderly queue now....:D Hopefully we can do it together!

8. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Lough Derg is top of my list for this Summer. I had planned to do a dry run up to Pettigo in May to check out the route and the time it takes to drive there. Then I sustained a bit of an injury - nothing serious but enough to prevent me doing Lough Derg until I get it sorted. All going well I'm still on target for June but maybe later in June and will go by bus instead. Someone said there's a bus goes from Parnell Square in Dublin. Do you know anything about that or where I might get some more info on it?

9. Border collie

Border collie Powers

Sorry you injured yourself Dolours, hopefully you will be recovered soon. I don't know anything about a bus going from Dublin but somebody here might! I would generally drive myself.

Dolours likes this.
  10. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Archangels

There is loads of details of different tours to Lough Derg on the website - I pasted the details below from the webpage:
    http://www.loughderg.org/join-a-group-pilgrimage-or-retreat

St Oliver Plunkett Three Day Pilgrimage to Lough Derg on the following dates;
    • Friday 3rd to Sunday 5th June 2016
    • Friday 22nd to Sunday 24th July 2016
    • Friday 12th to Sunday 14th August 2016
    For further information and bookings contact Miriam Delaney on 01 4941171 (after 6pm) or 086 3853027

11. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Thank you Bartimaeus, especially for the link. I had checked out the website last year but didn't find it particularly helpful. Maybe it's me or maybe they have updated the website, but there seems to be more information now and my questions are answered. It's great that individual pilgrims don't have to book in advance so I can just show up during a spell of dry weather.

12. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Archangels

Glad to help - some aspects of their website aren't intuitive so it can take a while to find what you're looking for! Maybe see you there 7th - 10th July?

Dolours likes this.
  13. Ed Kleese

Ed Kleese Servant

I hope you recover soon Dolours and will keep you in prayer. Ed

Dolours likes this.
  14. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Thank you Ed. I only get an occasional twinge of pain now so there's no reason I can't go in June as planned.

15. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I have a few commitments in July and August that make those months awkward for me. I want to go as soon as possible in June to make sure that Lough Derg isn't put on the long finger yet again. Depending on how I get on this year, I'm hoping to make it an annual pilgrimage.

Bartimaeus likes this.
  16. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I drove up to Lough Derg to check out the route. It was an easy drive in glorious weather. I got a bit confused in Enniskillen on the way up, driving via Irvinestown rather than direct to Kesh. With no checkpoints, it took me a while to realise when I had crossed the border. I need to check the default speed limit in the North. I got some oatcakes in Pettigo. Whoever decided to call them cakes must have been having hallucinations. There was a group of teenage boys headed for the ferry to the island and I could see the people on the island waiting to leave.

They told me at reception that I can arrive any time up to 3 p.m. when the last ferry leaves so at least I can have a bit of a lie in on the first day. I'm good to go as soon as we have another spell of good weather.

Bartimaeus and Ed Kleese like this.
  17. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Archangels

Dip the cakes in your over-sweetened black coffee - bliss! At least its bliss when you're on the island....

18. Border collie

Border collie Powers

I am doing Lough Derg in reparation for Ireland this Thursday 9th June, and the good news is another member from here has decided to join me, perhaps more will hop on board!!

Sam and PotatoSack like this.
  19. Border collie

Border collie Powers

Just back from Lough Derg, had brill time as usual!!:D

padraig, PotatoSack and Sam like this.
  20. Scolaire Bocht

Scolaire Bocht Principalities

I was having a great time, minded my knees which gave me so much trouble the last time, until about 5.50am during the Vigil when I hit the proverbial wall.

Anyway I survived and am glad I did it and thankful to Border Collie for organising it.

You know its worth going on, in case anybody is interested. Its only 70 euro to do it and you don't have to book in advance or anything. Yes it is difficult but the guy in the bed beside me was about 85 years of age so like if he can do it...

PotatoSack, Border collie and Sam like this.