1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Pc Help

Discussion in 'PC Help.' started by "Quis ut Deus", Jun 4, 2013.

1. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" Powers Staff Member

Maybe Padraig and co could put this thread into a techy help category..

PC Maintenance
    I’ve been working with computers for over 25 years in my previous job I use to build them from scratch, before the recession hit I was self employed as a call out technician for the home user, In my experience the biggest issue with home computers is the numerous complaints “my pc is so so slow”
    I will list a few simple steps on how to rectify that problem and help keep your pc in tip top shape…

Number one overheating
    Your pc is a small vacuum cleaner fact!when you switch on your pc your internal fans start to spin to keep the pc and its processor cool which is all good, the negative of this is when fans spins they suck air so in doing so they will suck all the dust from your home into the computer, as heat builds it is a magnet for static and dust to collect and clog the fans and any metal object that is warm, this creates an insulation layer on top of any part that gets warm, the more dust the more layers the hotter every component gets thus leading to slower response time and eventually overheating.
    The solution is quite simple open the pc (all power leads disconnected) and blow all the dust away clean the fans and pay special attention to the fan and heat sink on the processor these are easily removed and cleaned, you can either use a small paint brush and vacuum or you can buy a small tin of compressed air from a local diy shop, if you are using compressed air please note take the pc outside as the dust will go everywhere..Some before and after pics of what a pc should look like inside…
    before.jpg before 2.jpg after cleaning.jpg

Number two temp files and defragmenting..
    Hard drives in pc’s get clogged up over the years with a lot of stuff we don’t need they also write and rewrite over the space on them which can cause slow response time ..the solution is to defrag the hard drive at least every 6 months and to clean all those temp files a very handy bit of software that I use is temp file cleaner available for free here (http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/) .

Number three security and virus protection..
    I have used three pieces of software for the past 8 years or so and frankly with these three on your pc you won’t need anything else in my opinion the big named software companies are rubbish and in fact corrupt so get rid of them .. links to the software that I trust and use below they are all free
    http://www.avira.com/en/index (antivirus)
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?gclid=COv2ha2dyrcCFWfItAodv30Agw (malware)
    http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html (spyware)

Number four last but not least…

As mentioned before flush the dns so that old web pages bookmarks are refreshed,,
    Open a command box and type ipconfig/flushdns
    Close the command box by typing exit..

All of this in my opinion will keep your pc in tip top condition, any questions just ask..

Carmel333 likes this.
  2. Carmel333

Carmel333 Archangels

Thanks so much!!:)

3. Miriam

Miriam Archangels

That is very helpful, thank you so much for the heads up - appreciate it! :)

4. padraig

padraig New Member

Thanks John I will put this in its own place when I get time. :)

5. padraig

padraig New Member

There I have created a new forum on computer help and moved John thread.

I am some kinda genius.;)

6. HOPE

HOPE Guest

Yes, you are a genius, Padraig. Can someone answer me this please?
    Suddenly on this forum, when a video is being posted I am just getting a black screen and I can't figure out why. I can see videos on Utube for instance, but not here.

7. jerry

jerry Guest

Hope, I sympathize from experience! 5 months ago this suddenly happened to me with my tablet. I was released from this 'bug' a few weeks ago when for other reasons I finally allowed FireFox (my default browser on my tablet ) to install the latest version.

So perhaps you are using an out of date browser version. And its out of dateness has caught up with you.

"Quis ut Deus" likes this.
  8. "Quis ut Deus"

Hi Hope it could be a number of reasons, without knowing what browser you use its hard to suggest a fix, sometimes videos don’t play on forums because the original video on youtube has been deleted or moved,in that case it will never play..

Here are a few suggestions

If you have or had real player installed on your pc I would suggest re installing it..

If you access the motherofgod web site via a bookmark I would suggest accessing the site via a google search and then bookmarking it again, sometimes when sites are upgraded old cache files are left in users bookmarks..

Clear all your temporary files and history in your browser…

As I said it’s hard to know exactly a solution for you until I would know what browser and operating system you are using ..
    John

9. HOPE

HOPE Guest

My computer crashed a few months ago and my son put in Internet Explorer 8 which I checked to upgrade and they said I was using the latest browser I E 8 for windows XP. I installed Real Player and am still getting black screens for the videos on this site. This site only, I can watch videos on all other sites. It must have to do with the upgrade that Padraig said they were doing to this site, because it just happened in the last few days on this site. It's a Dell computer. Maybe I'm blacklisted:LOL:

10. "Quis ut Deus"

did you clear the history and temp files,cookies etc in internet explorer ..???? step by step here...http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/delcache.htm

I would untick the preserve favourites website data if it is ticked..:sneaky:

11. HOPE

HOPE Guest

I cleared history, temp files, cookies ect., ran spybot, reggistry cleaner{eusing} defrager, still nothing in videos but a black screen. Don't know how to untick? the fav website, but someone else has favs on it so I best not do that. I just will have to live with no videos on this site, I guess, till I can get a visit from some one to look at it. Thank you for all your help!:)

12. "Quis ut Deus"

No Problem Hope but from what you describe I am convinced that this site is saved in your bookmarks/Favourites and that's what the problem is, there are no restrictions on watching videos from your online profile on this site unless Padraig has a button that he can switch on or off ..It would do no harm to install firefox and try that instead of using explorer

13. HOPE

HOPE Guest

Thank you again, installed firefox and now can see videos.:)

14. I have a simple question. How do I talk to someone privately (me and them) only. I used to know how to do it, but I forgot...duh....:cool:

15. jerry

jerry Guest

Ah ha! I've got you now :):) : you are not the one eyed mother superior that you would have us believe you are!

HOPE likes this.
  16. HOPE

HOPE Guest

:ROFLMAO:Yes, having a son does do away with that myth.

Thank you again, installed firefox and now can see videos.:) Hmmm, the person who owns the computer was not happy with the change, ssooo, had to get rid of firefox:oops: so I shall have to be videoless on this site, ah well, some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you:LOL:

17. HOPE

HOPE Guest

To pm someone on this site? Just pass your mouse over the inbox at the top of the screen and a box-conversations- will show up. It says- start a conversation, click on it and when you get it, type in the person's name that you want to start a conversation with and start talking:)

mothersuperior7 likes this.
  18. jerry

jerry Guest

Hey, act the mother superior you want to be :). And explain to the owner of the pc, there is no reason for there not to be BOTH on the pc.(I have the full set: IE - which i hate and can think that no one who has used any of the other browsers would ever return to , Firefox, Google Crome, and Opera!

As concession to owner let IE8 be the default browser untill you can teach (him) the error of his ways.
    All you need is to have the Firefox icon on your desktop for YOU to click on.