1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

North Korea and Iran Threat Updates

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by Carol55, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Steve79

Steve79 Angels

Carol55 likes this.
  2. BrianK

BrianK Resident Kook, Crank, Curmudgeon - & Mod Staff Member

Kim Jong Un's weak voice signals possible kidney problem, expert claims
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/0...ls-possible-kidney-problem-expert-claims.html
    Katherine Lam2 hours ago
    Kim Jong Un rings in the New Year with a new threat
    North Korean leader says nuclear button is always on his desk; Kitty Logan reports from London.

Kim Jong Un may have delivered a defiant New Year’s Day address railing against the United States, but his weak voice during the speech may show the despot is suffering from “a kidney problem,” an audio forensic expert said Tuesday.

Chungnam State University professor Cho Dong-uk said he scrutinized Kim’s voice for “energy” and tremors, Korea Times reported. Based on the data, Cho said the leader may have kidney issues.

"At least, the samples show that his kidneys are weaker than other organs," Cho said, according to the Korea Times.

Kidney disorders can cause fluid to build up in a person’s body and cause organs to swell. Cho cited Kim’s rotund stature and his drinking and smoking as possible issues.

Kim Jong Un delivered a New Year's Day address talking about the Winter Olympics and his nuclear button. (KCNA via Reuters)

Kim’s diet and health is often a topic of speculation because the secretive regime releases little information about the leader -- including when his birthday is. Kim reportedly turned 34 Monday, but North Korea’s official calendar did not mark the day as an official holiday.

A North Korean defector previously told The Mirror that Kim fancied “extremely rare delicacies,” including $2,700 bird’s nest soup and other imported dishes. He would often have schoolgirls serve him the food at his Pyongyang home.

Katherine Lam is a breaking and trending news digital producer for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter at @bykatherinelam

3. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

This is some good news that I almost forgot to post,

U.S. hails Korea talks, despite North's rejection of denuclearization
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-rejection-of-denuclearization-idUSKBN1EX2CW

Christine Kim, David Brunnstrom January 8, 2018

SEOUL/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - North and South Korea held their first talks in over two years on Tuesday, which Washington welcomed as a first step to solving the North Korean nuclear weapons crisis, even though Pyongyang said those were aimed only at the United States and not up for discussion.

The U.S. State Department said Washington would be interested in joining future talks, but stuck to its insistence that they must be aimed at denuclearization, showing that a diplomatic breakthrough remains far off.

In a joint statement after 11 hours of talks, North and South Korea said they had agreed to hold military to military talks and that North Korea would send a large delegation to next month’s Winter Olympics in South Korea.

However, North Korea made a “strong complaint” after Seoul proposed talks to denuclearize the Korean peninsula.

“Clearly this is a positive development,” a spokesman for the U.S. State Department, Steve Goldstein, said of the joint statement, while adding: “We would like nuclear talks to occur; we want denuclearization of the Korean peninsula. This is a good first step in that process.”

North and South Korea said they agreed to meet again to resolve problems and avert accidental conflict, amid high tension over North Korea’s program to develop nuclear missiles capable of hitting the United States.

“All our weapons, including atomic bombs, hydrogen bombs and ballistic missiles, are only aimed at the United States, not our brethren, nor China and Russia,” Pyongyang’s chief negotiator, Ri Son Gwon, said.

“This is not a matter between North and South Korea, and to bring up this issue would cause negative consequences and risks turning all of today’s good achievement into nothing,” Ri said in closing remarks.

The White House and State Department did not respond to requests for comment on the United States being the only potential target of North Korea’s nuclear weapons.

U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un have exchanged threats and insults in the past year, raising fears of a new war on the peninsula.

The United States, which has 28,500 troops stationed in South Korea as a legacy of the 1950-1953 Korean War, initially responded coolly to the idea of inter-Korean meetings, but Trump later called them “a good thing” and said he would be willing to speak to Kim.

“At the appropriate time, we’ll get involved,” Trump said on Saturday, although U.S.-North Korean talks appear unlikely any time soon, given entrenched positions on both sides.

The United States has warned that all options, including military ones, are on the table in dealing with North Korea.

Washington agreed with Seoul last week to postpone joint military exercises that Pyongyang denounces as rehearsals for invasion until after the Olympics, but the North-South thaw has not altered the U.S. intelligence assessment of North Korea’s weapons programs.

The consensus, according to U.S. officials familiar with the classified analysis, is that Kim remains convinced the United States is determined to overthrow him and that only a nuclear arsenal that threatens America can deter that.

One official said the North-South talks were likely to follow the pattern of past diplomatic efforts, in which the North has benefited from additional food and other aid without making any concessions on the weapons front.

The additional danger now, said a second official, was that Kim would seek to use the talks to take advantage of Trump’s sometimes bellicose rhetoric to try to drive a wedge between Washington and Seoul.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres welcomed the talks, particularly the agreement to hold military-to-military talks, calling this “critical to lowering the risk of miscalculation”.

He also welcomed North Korea’s decision to send a delegation to the Olympics and said he hoped for the resumption of dialogue leading to denuclearization.

[​IMG]
    South and North Korean delegations attend their meeting at the truce village of Panmunjom in the demilitarised zone separating the two Koreas, South Korea, January 9, 2018. Yonhap via REUTERS

In spite of the North Korean negotiator’s remarks, South Korea’s Unification Ministry said it believed Tuesday’s talks could lead to discussion of a “fundamental resolution” of the nuclear issue.

“We will closely coordinate with the United States, China, Japan and other neighbors in this process,” it said, adding that Seoul had asked Pyongyang to halt acts that stoke tension.

Tuesday’s meeting followed a year of ramped-up North Korean missile test launches, some of them over Japanese territory, and its sixth and most powerful nuclear test, which prompted a U.S.-led campaign to toughen U.N. sanctions.

The U.S. State Department said later in the day that it had approved the sale of anti-ballistic missiles to Japan to defend itself.

North Korea-South Korea talks: tmsnrt.rs/2Ar8lUu

North Korea revealed:
    reut.rs/2z4KDPt

Steve79 likes this.
  4. Steve79

Steve79 Angels

Sugar bread and whip seems to work (y)

5. Fatima

Fatima Powers

It is highly probable the False Prophet is an antipope in the future. The Antichrist will need this man (the False Prophet) in order to execute the abomination of desolation of Daniel 11. Mohammad or the Islamic religion will have no impact on removing the sacrifice of the mass, which the end game of the Antichrist. It will come from within the apostate Church at a very high level.

6. Richard67

Richard67 Powers

The Church fathers and early writers made it clear that both the False Prophet and Antichrist would be Jewish and will minister to Israel. The false prophet will come in the mold of the Jewish sorcerer Simon Magus. The Antichrist will be Jewish but comes in the mold of a great military commander like Antiochus Epiphanes.

7. Byron

Byron Archangels

I agree. But that Antichrist is at the end of the world. He will be thrown to the pit where the False Prophet and beast are. I believe that the False Prophet and beast are still on earth.

8. Byron

Byron Archangels

The False Prophet and beast are thrown first to the pit. It's not till later that the Antichrist at the end of the world joins them.

9. Fatima

Fatima Powers

If the Antichrist comes at the end of the world, can you please explain how Satan, the Antichrist and the False Prophet of Revelations 19:20 and 20:1-5 are thrown into hell for 1000 years and Satan let out one more time for a short period prior to the end of the world (remember the Satan, the False Prophet and the Antichrist are all locked up in hell for 1000 years). Then comes the return of Christ in the flesh at the end of the world for the general judgement of the world 1000 years after the reign of the Antichrist and False Prophet according to scripture and prophecy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  10. Byron

Byron Archangels

Rev 19:20 - Happens before the 1,000 years. I believe this occurs after the Intermediate coming (Warning), that both the False Prophet and beast are thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. The beast refers to the empire the False Prophet controls. This to me means Islam and its Islamic countries. Christ disposes both of them. But locks away for 1,000 years the Dragon/Satan, who preserves the Man of sin for the final rebellion. The final Antichrist is the devil incarnate, who is led out for a short time after the 1,000 years.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  11. Byron

Byron Archangels

Rev 20:10 - "and the devil who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the False Prophet HAD BEEN thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever."
    The beast and the False Prophet were thrown in early, before Satan and his man of sin, THE ANTICHRIST. And this Antichrist may be Jewish as prophecy mentions.

12. Fatima

Fatima Powers

And then there is this article by Michael Brown back in 2012 on James Wilburn Chauncey who at 9 years of age had a NDE from spinal meningitis in 1946, which he explains in a book he wrote in 2011 called Eyewitness to Heaven. Among many other details of what he was shown the following is in harmony with what Natan was shown in his NDE, as it pertains to Israel remaining unaffected by a two week global war from Russia and China while the rest of Europe and the Middle East is being defeated by them, until they finally turn on Israel and wipe them out in 2 day's. Here is what he had to say on this as it was shown to him.

"Then they showed me what would happen to me and the earth and this consumed allot of the time, We went to the edge of paradise, like a cliff and you could see the blue earth hanging there and when you wanted you could just zoom in on various places on earth. I could smell smoke and heard booming noises and it was like I was seeing over the Northeast toward Europe and I could see these armies moving from Russia over Syria and continuing southwest and southeast, bypassing Israel. They conquered all of Africa and Asia except for China. Then they started across the rest of Europe and across to England. The English fought very hard. After England was decimated, I saw missiles lobbed from boats at New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Atlanta and and some other places, but at this point they weren't nuclear. That was followed by a landing of troops and I looked toward the other side of America when I heard some huge blasts and I looked toward Mexico and South America and they were Islamic. I kept getting that Russia has a pact with the Islamic countries. After this, there were nuclear blasts. Atomic bombs started falling".

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  13. Byron

Byron Archangels

It's a fearful scenario. I still believe the False Prophet spoken in the Bible is Islamic. Turkey is where our base of nuclear weapons is located. Any day now.

14. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

Donald Trump Signals Openness to North Korea Diplomacy in Interview
    President cites a positive relationship with nation’s leader; also accuses Steve Bannon of betrayal
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald...north-korea-diplomacy-in-interview-1515705497
    By Michael C. Bender, Louise Radnofsky, Peter Nicholas and Rebecca Ballhaus
    Updated Jan. 11, 2018 8:21 p.m. ET 322 COMMENTS

WASHINGTON—President Donald Trump said he believes he has developed a positive relationship with North Korea’s leader despite their mutual public insults, suggesting he is open to diplomacy after months of escalating tensions over Pyongyang’s nuclear-weapons program.

“I probably have a very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, ” Mr. Trump said in an interview Thursday with The Wall Street Journal. “I have relationships with people. I think you people are surprised.”

Asked if he has spoken with Mr. Kim, Mr. Trump said: “I don’t want to comment on it. I’m not saying I have or haven’t. I just don’t want to comment.”

Mr. Trump’s remarks on North Korea, with which the U.S. has no formal diplomatic relations, came in a wide-ranging, 45-minute interview in the Oval Office about the first year of his presidency.

As with North Korea, Mr. Trump offered some optimistic words about his efforts to remake the North American Free Trade Agreement with Mexico and Canada.

Related
    “We’ve made a lot of headway. We’re moving along nicely,” Mr. Trump said of the Nafta negotiations. That was a more positive portrayal than has previously been offered by his chief trade negotiator, who has regularly criticized the other countries for responding to U.S. demands with what he considers intransigence.

While negotiators have officially set a March deadline to rewrite the continental pact, Mr. Trump said he didn’t have any timetable and was “a little flexible,” taking into account Mexico’s July 1 presidential and legislative elections.

Mr. Trump did repeat, in the interview, his longstanding threat to pull out of the pact if he wasn’t happy with the results of the talks, saying: “If we don’t make the right deal, I will terminate Nafta, OK.”

And after repeatedly calling for Mexico to pay for a border wall, Mr. Trump said for the first time that the Nafta talks might yield, in effect, the funding for construction of the wall.

“They can pay for it indirectly through Nafta,” he said. “We make a good deal on Nafta, and, say, I’m going to take a small percentage of that money and it’s going toward the wall. Guess what? Mexico’s paying.”

Mr. Trump also accused former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon of betrayal after Mr. Bannon’s extensive contributions to “Fire and Fury,” Michael Wolff’s new book that paints an unflattering picture of Mr. Trump. He declined to say whether his relationship with Mr. Bannon is broken beyond repair, however: “I don’t know what the word permanent means,” he said.

Mr. Wolff’s book, which focuses on the early months of the Trump administration, offers a harsh view of Mr. Trump’s family and of a White House riven with infighting. Mr. Bannon saw his relationship with Mr. Trump, as well as billionaire benefactors Robert Mercer and Rebekah Mercer, unravel last week because of his quotes in the book, including questioning daughter Ivanka Trump’s intelligence and calling a 2016 meeting held by son Donald Trump Jr. with Russian officials “treasonous.”

On legislative priorities following last month’s passage of the Republican tax overhaul, Mr. Trump identified plans for new infrastructure spending as the top item on the White House’s legislative to-do list. He said finding a federal government investment of $200 billion to jump-start spending on new roads and bridges should be easy, but declined to elaborate on specific sources.

Mr. Trump claimed that his firing last year of then-Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey should have elicited grateful applause from across Washington. His dismissal of Mr. Comey prompted the appointment of special counsel Robert Mueller, who has been investigating alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and any collusion by the Trump team with Russia. Mr. Trump denies any collusion and Russia has denied meddling.

Mr. Trump also said that messages traded between a pair of FBI employees who had been involved in the Mueller investigation amounted to treason. Agent Peter Strzok was removed from his post by Mr. Mueller last year after the disclosure that Mr. Strzok had sent text messages in the summer of 2016 critical of Mr. Trump to FBI lawyer Lisa Page, who also worked temporarily for the special counsel. The texts surfaced as part of an internal Justice Department investigation. The department didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Mr. Trump offered an unsolicited rebuttal to “Fire and Fury,” saying it showed the need for new libel laws. But he acknowledged that was unlikely to happen, saying the Republican-controlled Congress doesn’t have the “guts” for that debate.

Libel claims are a matter of state rather than federal law, buttressed by constitutional protections.

continued...

15. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

continued from above...

On North Korea, Mr. Trump has called the nation’s leader a “maniac,” a “bad dude,” mocked him as “short and fat,” and referred to him repeatedly as “rocket man.” For his part, Mr. Kim has warned that he would “tame the mentally deranged U.S. dotard with fire,” referring to Mr. Trump.

Mr. Trump framed his own comments as part of a broader strategy.

“You’ll see that a lot with me,” he said about his combative tweets, “and then all of the sudden somebody’s my best friend. I could give you 20 examples. You could give me 30. I’m a very flexible person.”

It has been a decade since the U.S. engaged in formal talks with North Koreas. Those “six-party talks” over Pyongyang’s nuclear ambitions, which included South Korea, Japan, China and Russia, stalled in 2009 over disputes about North Korea’s nuclear and missile activities.

Since then, diplomats say, there have been messages transmitted back and forth through unofficial channels, including “Track 2” talks in which former U.S. officials and Korea experts have met informally with North Korean officials. But those talks don’t amount to official diplomatic communications. In October, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said, without elaborating, that “we have lines of communication to Pyongyang—we’re not in a dark situation, a blackout.”

Mr. Trump has vacillated between seeming open to—and even eager for—diplomacy with North Korea, and dismissing the need or value for it. Soon after taking office, he said in a Bloomberg News interview last May that he would be “honored” to meet with Mr. Kim. One top former U.S. official said afterward that Mr. Trump’s statement came in response to pleas from China that he open the door to diplomacy with the young North Korean leader.

But since then, Mr. Trump has also seemed to dismiss the value of direct talks with North Korea and its leader. In October, he appeared to undercut Mr. Tillerson when the secretary referred to lines of communication to North Korea and said the administration was “probing” for diplomatic openings. In response, Mr. Trump said on Twitter that Mr. Tillerson is “wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man.”

In the interview, Mr. Trump praised China for its help in trying to pressure North Korea to end its nuclear program, while adding “they can do much more.” Some U.S. and allied officials have feared that the recent North Korean opening to talks with South Korea, and the resulting talks that began this week, were designed to drive a wedge between the U.S. and South Korea by opening a diplomatic channel that precluded Washington.

That step, some thought, might have been designed to lower tensions with South Korea in hopes the government in Seoul would, in turn, close the door to any potential military moves against its nuclear and missile facilities by the U.S.

South Korea and the U.S. recently agreed to postpone additional military exercises until after the Olympics next month in Seoul, a move that Mr. Trump said “sends a good message to North Korea.”

Mr. Trump encouraged North Korea’s participation in those games, and acknowledged that Pyongyang might be trying to separate Washington and Seoul. “If I were them, I would try,” he said. “The difference is I’m president, other people aren’t,” Mr. Trump said. “And I know more about wedges than any human being that’s lived.”

Appeared in the January 12, 2018, print edition as 'Trump Hints at Pyongyang Outreach.'

In comparison Fox News chose to put more focus on the mutual public insults, http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...h-korea-from-rocket-man-to-fire-and-fury.html ,
    hopefully this will truly become old news.

16. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

White House praises China reduction in North Korea trade
    January 12, 2018 https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-reduction-in-north-korea-trade-idUSKBN1F121R

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House praised China’s moves to reduce its trade with North Korea on Friday, saying it will help the U.S.-led effort to apply maximum pressure on Pyongyang over its nuclear program.

[​IMG]
    Trucks cross Friendship Bridge (L) from China's Dandong, Liaoning province (foreground), to North Korea's Sinuiju September 12, 2016. REUTERS/Thomas Peter
    “The Donald J. Trump Administration is pleased that China is sharply reducing its trade with North Korea,” the White House press secretary said in a statement. “This action supports the United States-led global effort to apply maximum pressure until the North Korean regime ends its illicit programs, changes its behavior, and moves toward denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.”

Reporting by Doina Chiacu

17. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

Iran nuclear deal: Trump to extend sanctions waiver - reports
    January 12, 2018 http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42657313
    [​IMG]
    A timeline of what Trump has said about the Iran deal

US President Donald Trump will continue to suspend key sanctions on Iran, and so avoiding jeopardising the 2015 nuclear agreement, US officials say.

But Mr Trump is expected to set a deadline for Congress and European allies to improve the deal or the US will abandon it, the officials say.

He is also likely to impose a new set of sanctions targeting Iranian firms and individuals, a top aide has said.

Mr Trump has strongly criticised the deal, which helped end a long crisis.

European powers say that the accord is vital for international security.

The agreement between six global powers and Iran saw decades of international and US nuclear-related sanctions suspended when Iran agreed to limit its nuclear programme.

The US still maintains separate sanctions on Iran related to matters such as terrorism, human rights and ballistic missile development.

The White House is due to make an official announcement on Friday.

What does Mr Trump want to change in the Iran deal?

The US president declared in October that the agreement was "one of the worst and most one-sided transactions the United States has ever entered into", and warned that within a few years Iran would be able to "sprint towards a rapid nuclear weapons breakout".

He accused Iran of committing "multiple violations" and promised to work with Congress to "address the deal's many serious flaws".

Mr Trump said they included the deal's "sunset clauses", one of which allows for the lifting of restrictions on Iran's uranium enrichment programme after 2025.

He also wants to give the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) access to Iranian military sites, and for the deal to cover Iran's ballistic missile programme.

In its most recent quarterly review, the IAEA, the global nuclear body, said Iran was complying with treaty.

[​IMG]
    Media captionBoris Johnson on Iran nuclear deal: 'I don't think anybody has come up with a better idea'

Critics of the deal in the US Congress have also proposed amending legislation to ensure that sanctions would "snap back" automatically if Iran carried out certain actions.

The sanctions, which were suspended in 2016, had cut Iran's central bank out of the international financial system and imposed penalties for buying Iranian oil.

Why does Europe back the nuclear deal?

The foreign ministers of Britain, France, Germany and the European Union met their Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif in Brussels on Thursday to reaffirm their commitment to the accord, which was also backed by China and Russia.

At a news conference afterwards, representatives of the EU, the UK, France and Germany reiterated their support for the nuclear deal they helped negotiate.

"The deal is working; it is delivering on its main goal, which means keeping the Iranian nuclear programme in check and under close surveillance," EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said.

"The unity of the international community is essential to preserve a deal that is working, that is making the world safer and that is preventing a potential nuclear arms race in the region. And we expect all parties to continue to fully implement this agreement."

UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson insisted the deal was preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, and challenged Washington to come up with a better alternative.

He described the deal, which is known formally as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), as a "considerable diplomatic accomplishment".
    Mr Zarif warned that Iran's continued compliance depended on Washington honouring the deal.

He said the Brussels meeting had shown a "strong consensus" that Iran was complying with the pact, had the right to enjoy its economic benefits and that any move that undermined it was "unacceptable".

Why is Iran's missile programme controversial?

The US and EU say Iranian ballistic missile tests conducted in the past year have violated UN Security Council resolution 2231, which endorsed the nuclear deal.

The resolution calls upon Iran not to "undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles designed to be capable of delivering nuclear weapons, including launches using such ballistic missile technology".

[​IMG]
    Image copyright AFP Image caption Iran rejects US assertions that its ballistic missiles are designed to carry nuclear warheads

Iran says the missiles it has tested are not designed to carry nuclear warheads and insists its nuclear programme is entirely peaceful.

The European ministers expressed serious concern about Iran's ballistic missile programme, as well as its alleged transfer of missiles and assistance to non-state entities in the Middle East. But they said the issue should be kept separate from the nuclear deal.

18. Fatima

Fatima Powers

I don't feel the False Prophet is Islamic, as he may well be an anti-pope. What we do know is he will work with the Antichrist to establish a false church and bring about the abomination of desolation or essentially accepting the protestant liturgy, which is absent the sacrifice of the mass. I agree with you, any day now.

19. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Could this be the moment that St. Paul warned us about?

Saint Paul To The Thessalonians Chapter 5 [1] But of the times and moments, brethren, you need not, that we should write to you; [2] For yourselves know perfectly, that the day of the Lord shall so come, as a thief in the night. [3] For when they shall say, peace and security; then shall sudden destruction come upon them, as the pains upon her that is with child, and they shall not escape. [4] But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. [5] For all you are the children of light, and children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

BrianK likes this.
  20. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

Hawaii emergency officials say ballistic missile threat alert was a mistake
    By Kathleen Joyce, Nicole Darrah | Fox News

Hawaiians receive a false alarm of incoming missile
    Rep. Tulsi Gabbard says push alert sent to phones was a false alarm.

Hawaii emergency officials confirmed Saturday that an alert warning that a ballistic missile was inbound to the island was a mistake.

Earlier Saturday, Hawaiian citizens reported receiving an emergency alert on their phone that stated: “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.”

House Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, tweeted in regard to the alert: “HAWAII – THIS IS A FALSE ALARM. THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE TO HAWAII. I HAVE CONFIRMED WITH OFFICIALS THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE.”

Hawaii Emergency Management Agency tweeted that there was “NO missile threat” to the state.

Hawaii Emergency Management agency spokesman Richard Repoza said the alert was a false alarm. He said the agency was working to determine what happened.

The alert created panic for residents on the island and across social media.

Fox News' Chad Pergram said he spoke to two people on the Kona side of the island who said they were told to stay in their hotel room and that there was a missile incoming.

Cdr. Dave Benham, a spokesman for U.S. Pacific Command, told Fox News they have "detected no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii. Earlier message was sent in error. State of Hawaii will send out a correction message as soon as possible."

Sen. Brian Schatz, D-Hawaii, tweeted “it was a false alarm based on human error. There is nothing more important to Hawaii than professionalizing and fool-proofing this process."

Schatz wrote in a separate tweet that what happened was "totally inexcusable."

"The whole state was terrified. There needs to be tough and quick accountability and a fixed process," the senator wrote.

The second alert sent by Hawaii’s Emergency Management Agency telling citizens there was no threat arrived approximately 38 minutes after the ballistic warning threat.

Sen. Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, tweeted that she would work to find out what occurred.

“Today’s alert was a false alarm,” Hirono wrote. “At a time of heightened tensions, we need to make sure all information released to the community is accurate. We need to get to the bottom of what happened and make sure it never happens again.”

[​IMG]Video
    Gordon Chang: Was Hawaii's warning system hacked?

A White House official said President Trump, who is spending the weekend in Florida, has been briefed on the incident, which they said "was purely a state exercise."

Hawaii Gov. David Ige said in a statement that "While I am thankful this morning’s alert was a false alarm, the public must have confidence in our emergency alert system. I am working to get to the bottom of this so we can prevent an error of this type in the future."

The statement noted Ige is meeting with top officials from the State Department of Defense and the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency "to determine what caused this morning's false alarm and to prevent it from happening again."

Fox News' Jennifer Bowman, Lee Ross, Lucas Tomlinson and Chad Pergram and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Hawaii sends out missile alert by mistake
    January 13, 2018 http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42677604

[​IMG]
    Image copyright Twitter Image caption The message Hawaiians saw on their phones

People across the US state of Hawaii received a text on Saturday morning, warning of an impending missile strike.

It was declared a false alarm shortly afterwards, but not before panic started to spread.

"Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill," read the message, all in capital letters.

Hawaii Emergency Management Agency later confirmed there was no threat.

In an online statement, Honolulu Police Department said: "State Warning Point has issued a Missile Alert in ERROR! There is NO threat to the State of Hawaii!"

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser said emergency officials had mistakenly sent the message out by text at 08:07 (18:07 GMT) before correcting the error some 20 minutes later. It was unclear how the mistake was made.

[​IMG]
    The siren has a different tone from a natural disaster warning siren

In December, Hawaii tested its nuclear warning siren for the first time since the end of the Cold War.

It came amid a growing threat from North Korea's missile and nuclear programme. Hawaii is the closest state to North Korea.

In September Pyongyang carried out its sixth nuclear test.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    BrianK likes this.