1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Nat Hentoff, 1925-2017

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by DeGaulle, Jan 8, 2017.

1. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

The writer/critic Nat Hentoff died, aged 91, on Saturday. He was a life-long Jewish atheist who spent many years, right up to near the end, campaigning articulately and passionately against abortion and euthanasia. His atheism confused and enraged opponents who could not blithely accuse him of 'religious fundamentalism'. His was a powerful witness.

I pray that his death has led him to a very pleasant Surprise. May The Lord have mercy on his soul (I'd gamble He will).

AED, Jeanne, Beth B and 6 others like this.
  2. garabandal

garabandal Powers

"Whatever you do onto the least of these my brethern you do unto me".

Those who defend the life of the unborn are on the side of God, for God is the author of life.

Jeanne, Beth B, Clare A and 3 others like this.
  3. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Amen!....pray that Gods grace entered his soul at the end!

DeGaulle and Jeanne like this.
  4. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

May our Holy Mother welcome him in her loving arms.

If only some in the Barque of Peter (incluindo many at the very top) were as clear and outspoken about these issues as he was...

DeGaulle, Beth B and Mac like this.
  5. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Update: Came across this intriguing piece, dated 3-3-17. Unfortunately, the writer is so narrow-minded as to devote most of the rest to a diatribe against Donald Trump and misses the real story.

https://www.thenation.com/article/a-memorial-for-nat-hentoff/

" The celebration of the journalist Nat Hentoff’s life, last Friday, began on an unexpected note. His daughter Miranda and granddaughter Ruby performed a song about a dream—actually, three recurring dreams—that he had as his health was declining last fall. Each dream was the same: God visited Nat in his kitchen and told him that, although he was a good person, he could get into heaven only if he believed. The dreams, Miranda said, were “a little puzzling” to her father, whom she called an “avowed and proud life-long atheist.” "

God was pulling out all the stops here.

Let us pray that, in his final days, Nat came to believe.

Jeanne, Beth B, HeavenlyHosts and 3 others like this.
  6. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

[QUOTE="DeGaulle, post: 167511, God was pulling out all the stops here. [/QUOTE]
    No kidding!
    Stories like this just reinforce my belief in The Divine Mercy message delivered to St Faustina by Our Lord! .... and Scriptures such as: More joy in Heaven over the one lost sheep vs the not lost 99 or Prodigal Son vs the almost forgotten message of the not lost brother .... or late vs early vineyard workers.
    Let us pray that Nat and other avowed non-believers have not so "Hardened Their Hearts" that they will not respond to "The Last Call"!!

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!!

Jeanne, Beth B and DeGaulle like this.
  7. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

No kidding!
    Stories like this just reinforce my belief in The Divine Mercy message delivered to St Faustina by Our Lord! .... and Scriptures such as: More joy in Heaven over the one lost sheep vs the not lost 99 or Prodigal Son vs the almost forgotten message of the not lost brother .... or late vs early vineyard workers.
    Let us pray that Nat and other avowed non-believers have not so "Hardened Their Hearts" that they will not respond to "The Last Call"!!

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!![/QUOTE]

Nat may have been a stubborn atheist, but his heart was not so hard. I think that is why he got 'special treatment'.

Jeanne and Beth B like this.
  8. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Thank God that He is so merciful! Nat was ProLife....praying that God showed extra mercy to him!

Jeanne and DeGaulle like this.
  9. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

It would appear that God has given him every chance. Getting to the specifics, God was actually talking to him about getting 'into heaven'. Perhaps it was all about whether Nat was going to Purgatory or becoming a saint.

[My original post included my praying that his death might lead him to a very pleasant surprise. Apparently, he was already being surprised before this point].

Beth B likes this.