1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Mortification

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by garabandal, Feb 13, 2018.

1. garabandal

garabandal Powers

As we approach Lent we think of mortification of the senses in order to die to selfish needs.

Here is some teaching on self denial in the link below -- there is just too much information to digest all at once so practically -- take one idea from it and practise over Lent!

http://www.catholictradition.org/Saints/virtue3.htm

Frank Markus likes this.
  2. Frank Markus

Frank Markus Angels

Thank you for posting this. I found the link really interesting and learned a lot.

As you said, one has to take just one or two ideas from it, which I did. I took the idea that I will use Lent to put my spirit over my lower desires and thus grow in virtue and self discipline and to grow closer to the Lord.

I admit some of the more extreme mortification practices seem a bit over the top for me. However, in principle, through your link I've come to realise that I am in need of mortifying my desires and amplifying my prayer life.

This is my plan for this Lent, my ninth Lents a Catholic. I want to finally carry through with my fasting and promises and not fall again as in the previous Lents.

I am also hoping for some direction from Christ and perhaps a miracle in terms of my work and property aspects. I'm not sure if this is appropriate.

Thank you again for the insights. I am determined this time, for example to pray the full Catena Legionis of the Legion of Mary every day so that they will accept me as an auxiliary member.

God bless all here,

Frank

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

Frank Markus and Don_D like this.