1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'PC Help.' started by BrianK, Dec 12, 2017.

1. BrianK

BrianK Resident Kook, Crank, Curmudgeon - & Mod Staff Member

Ok, folks, I just bought a new-to-me, used MacBook Pro. Though I've been using an iPad and iPhone for several years, this is my first Apple computer. What apps are most useful to you? Any other advice?

Praetorian likes this.
  2. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

I have one. It tends to get hot so I use a cooling pad underneath it. If it is more than a few years old you might consider changing the thermal paste on the CPU to help with the overheating. Nice computers though.

gracia likes this.
  3. BrianK

It’s a reconditioned late 2011 model. I bought it on the advice of a friend fairly knowledgeable about them. It was a very good model then, with a fast processor, 4mb RAM and a decent sized hard drive, with a built in DVD drive. So far I’m really happy with it.

He has a cooling pad too. I’ll check them out at the local Best Buy. I want to get a BlueTooth mouse and keyboard for it too.

gracia and Praetorian like this.
  4. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

I think you'll like it. You can easily upgrade the RAM too if you want, which is cheap and gives it a lot more power.

BrianK likes this.
  5. BrianK

Thanks. I upgraded to 16mb RAM today and picked up a Magic Mouse and a Magic Keyboard (smaller one, without the separate numbers keyboard.) I really like both so far. This new mouse makes everything easier than using the mousepad on the laptop.

HeavenlyHosts and Praetorian like this.
  6. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

That's a lot of RAM!
    You should be flying now :)

BrianK likes this.
  7. BrianK

I figured I'd just max it out and be done with it. Yeah, it sped it up a good bit.

Praetorian likes this.
  8. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

16 RAM is like having a Ferrari :)

BrianK likes this.
  9. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

Also remember if you ever sell the computer you can keep some of those RAM and put them in your new one as long as they are compatible.

BrianK likes this.
  10. BrianK

Yeah, I've never had a "fast" computer so I went ahead and splurged. And I'm going to be downloading and learning some AutoCAD compatible app, probably TurboCAD, so I figured the added RAM wouldn't hurt.

Praetorian and Ed Kleese like this.
  11. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

No RAM is never something you can have too much of :)

BrianK likes this.
  12. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I thought of this thread tonight, Brian, when I was looking for a website with the daily prayers of the Church and found this: http://universalis.com/index.htm

They have an ap for the daily Mass readings and the Liturgy of the Hours.

BrianK likes this.
  13. BrianK

Yes, I had that on my iPhone in the past. I currently have the apps iBreviary, iMissal, iPieta, Mary (from the Marian Fathers at the Divine Mercy Shrine in Stockbridge MA) and Laudate.

HeavenlyHosts and Dolours like this.
  14. Dean

Dean Archangels

The magic mouse is AMAZING!!!!

BrianK likes this.