1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Lourdes water.

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Mac, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

This is only a question, thus the thread it is under.Q&A.Nothing too serious:)
    Since my wife has just been to Lourdes and Fatima I now have a good quantity of water to share with parishioners.
    I was taught[by mother] that if a bottle of Lourdes water got down to 50% it could be refilled with tap water and you would have 100% Lourdes water.
    So her own supply never extinguished after many decades.
    Sounds fair enough to me ,
    Any thoughts?

Rose and Leroy miranda like this.
  2. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Yes, I am envious! :)

It also sounds fair to me as well. I wonder if there is any kind of official teaching on such a thing?

Mac likes this.
  3. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

This is what they do at the Rhoda Wise house in Ohio. These apparitions are not officially approved yet, but Rhoda's spiritual advisor priest told them to distribute 2/3 of the jug of water that was supposedly blessed by Jesus, and then refill with tap water so as to maintain the original blessing.

So your mother is in the good company of a priest. (y)

Mac and gracia like this.
  4. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

Unfortunately you cannot make more Lourdes Water by adding regular water to it. In fact mixing Lourdes Water with normal water may even make the supply you have lose efficacy.

http://www.lourdescenter.org/faq.html

Sorry :(
    I don't like having to contradict your mother :eek:

It makes sense though. If the water could just be mixed to produce more then there would be no reason to spend all the money shipping it around the world as they do. They could just send one quantity to each country and mix it there to produce more.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  5. Rose

Rose New Member

I think Macs mother is correct. My sister gave me salt blessed by Fr. Bertone and she said that it was OK to add it to other salt and to do the same with blessed oil and holy water. I can't imagine that anything blessed could lose its blessing. She told me this just after a service with Fr.Bertone,i got the impression that he had said this.

6. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

Lourdes Water is not blessed in the same way other things are. It is not Holy Water. In any case the link I gave was to the website of the priests who distribute it and they said it can't be added to other water to make it last longer.
    Here it is again:
    http://www.lourdescenter.org/faq.html

People can do what they like with that information.

Rose likes this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

Priests say that the Eucharist should be used as close to the mass it was transubstantiated as possible. If not it is said not to be as efficacious.

I would say the same for watering down Sacramentals.
    Better not to do so.

gracia likes this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

I think because Sacramental are composed with natural substances they would be governed to some extent by natural laws.

9. padraig

padraig New Member

It is the same with holy Water, I prefer Easter Water to other Holy Water. I also prefer to go to a really holy old priest to do blessings. There seems to be a kind of hierarchy of holiness to Sacramentals. The holier priest or liturgy making the holier sacramental

The Easter liturgy of course being tops

HeavenlyHosts, AED and gracia like this.
  10. Mac

Well thats a bit of a wet blanket P.
    But I have to accept this.
    I will be sure not to water down our water:).
    Thanks for the link.

11. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

12. Mac

Not at all, thank you for giving me the truth of the matter.(y)
    It would have been a waste if I had ruined my supply.

Mary's child, Don_D and Praetorian like this.