1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Keep the Faith

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Sep 9, 2009.

1. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

I agree this is all conjectural now. But one does wonder which way the Church will go.
    I hope and pray and believe that our Blessed Mother will clearly lead the way for us, her children.

2. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

Padraig, This is the only place that I could find the following prophecy on the forum,

Merlin (7th century): There will come a German Anti-Pope. Italy and Germany will be sorely troubled. A French King will restore the true Pope (Culleton, p. 132).

I just found this prophecy and I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it, especially in light of all the discussions on the 2 popes currently on the forum.

Thank you.

ref. 1st edition was written in 1941, http://ia800200.us.archive.org/2/items/TheProphetsAndOurTimes/TheProphetsAndOurTimes.pdf

3. padraig

padraig New Member

There are so many Prophecies out there, even strictly Catholic ones if you cut them down to those coming from saints or mystics generally considered authentic you would probably bury yourself in them. One thing strikes you after a while is that many of them are mutually exclusive. In other words if one prophecy is true then another has to be not true. In otherwords they can cancel each other out. If for instance St Jane proclaims that there will be a long period of Peace in France whilst St John says France will be engaged in a long period of wars you know both cannot be true.

Also even great Saints get things badly wrong. For instance Saint Catherine of Sienna had a very famous apparition of the Blessed Virgin in which she most strongly emphasised the she was NOT the Immaculate Conception. St Bernard of Clarivaux declared that the Third Crusade would be a huge success whereas it was a complete disaster.

So what you need in Prophecy or the examination of any mystical phenomena is a Discernment Process. As indeed scripture advises:

[​IMG]

gracia likes this.
  4. padraig

padraig New Member

Mac likes this.
  5. padraig

padraig New Member

In a way you could see a Discernment Process as a little bit like a menu for cooking. It is a set menu of instructions of how to go about doing things. It may contain two main strands, the purely human criteria and the Mystical or supernatural.

If for instance Madam B informs us that an asteroid in about to hit the world next week the human tests we might put are:

Is Madam B on drugs?

Has Madam B some form of mental illness?

Has Madam B a history of story telling?

..and so...on and on.

Then turning to the Spiritual we might ask basic questions like :

Is Madam B a catholic in good standing with the Church?

Does Madam B attend Church regularly?

Does Madam B pray much , does she seem Holy?

..and so on and on.

Don_D and gracia like this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

Now if I apply the first human test to Merlin I might ask the evidential question, did Merlin really actually exist ? Is their historical evidence that he actually lived at all? The answer is, no, not really, he falls at the very first hurdle.

Try discerning someone like Nostradamus for instance and see how quickly he falls to this kind of Process. He also falls at pretty much the very first questions. You could think of it as multiple filtering if you look. You are seeking Evidential Proof.

Be rigorous. This is one case where the head must rule the heart rather than the heart the head.

http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/Discernment/Discernment_002.htm

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    gracia and Don_D like this.
  7. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Wow, I read this last night before bed. A Pretty frightful tale, and one that shows how easily deceived we can be when we are getting what we want. I was happy to read that she was able to be freed and repented. What an incredible ordeal to go through.

8. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

Padraig, Thank you for responding.

I still find it very interesting and I find his prophecies believable, although some are very difficult to figure out. Obviously, I don't believe that Pope Benedict is knowingly setting himself up as an anti-pope but he is being thought of by many people as the Pope when he is not. In addition, I believe that the timing appears to be right. I think it is smart to look at almost everything and then discern about it. This is something that others here may be interested in or at the very least should be aware of. Of course, no one is obligated to believe in any prophecies whether they are approved or not.

From Rev. Culleton's book p. 50,

The selection of the true Pope. according to the prophets, will be: a) almost miraculous; b) soon after the terrible war and revolutions; c) the selectors will assemble under many difficulties; d) some prophets foretell the intervention of Saints Peter and Paul and angels (hence his name?); e) some say he will have temporal power over Rome itself; f) some say he will be a French pope; g) the Pope of unity and he will eradicate schisms and heresies.

The following prophecy that I bolded below from Merlin states a French King will restore the true Pope. Other prophecies state that the Pope and some cardinals will flee Rome take refuge in an unknown location when Rome has been attacked and the Pope will die a cruel death. Therefore, IMHO Merlin's prophecies seem quite probable. It also appears that when the Pope and some cardinals flee Rome soon after a terrible war and revolutions that they will be the selectors of a new Pope while they are in hiding. The world will probably still be a very unstable place and the true pope will need the aid of the French King to rightly take the Chair of Saint Peter.

The following is everything Culleton's book has from Merlin the Bard:

72a. Merlin (7th century)
    "There will come a German Anti-Pope. Italy and Germany will be sorely troubled. A French King will restore the true Pope."

72b. After destruction of England by seven kings there "shall come a dreadful dead man, and with him a Royal Great Monarch of the best blood in the world and he shall set England on the right way and put out all heresies. He shall be the last King over England. ​

"When the tail of Virgo shall enter Leo, and Scorpio shall ascend the back of Sagittarius, the northern kingdoms shall be wasted by reapers; the southern principalities shall end in lust; and the powers of the Island Monarchies shall be harnessed.

"Cruel wars shall be scattered by the wind-whose beginning were by a staff; their growth and continuance by bastards-and gulled by a revengeful hail.

"The sun itself shall play on the tinterell, clad with a vermillion coat, and the moon with dun-buskins (brown-symbol of tragedy) shall amble to the fair.

"Those on whom these things shall come, for grief and sorrow shall pine away. A prince of royal stock shall come forth, crowned from the northern parts-to his own people unexpected, but desired by foreigners-who, because he shall bear a 'rampant lion' shall therefore be called a Lion. He shall advance his conquering armies against his enemies and by woeful successes shall harass the territories of neighbor Princes. He shall exceed Alexander the Great in virtue and Cyrus in success. He shall cross the sea and be saluted Emperor by many kings. A certain ancient city he shall lay level with the ground.

"In the meanwhile a powerful Prince out of the East shall provoke him to battle. Against whom the Lion shall march with all his forces and pitching his camp on this side (west) of the Euphrates, shall await him. If the Prince shall come over the river the Lion shall be overcome; but he (Lion) shall cross the river with his army and give his enemy a bloody defeat and be master of all the East.

"Whilst these things are happening, divers petty kings from India shall break into Syria with mighty armies. Provided for battle, they shall wait for the Lion about the Valley of Jehosaphat, where they shall, by him, be all wholly cut off. Not long afterwards the Lion himself will die in eminent piety, after having established the Kingdom of the Fugitives ('transfugarum'-Jews?) .
    I also found the following about Merlin,

The legendary Celtic magus Merlin Ambrosius supposedly brought the stones of Stonehenge from Ireland to Salisbury Plain by magical levitation, and counseled King Arthur. He has had over 100 pseudo-epigraphic Latin and vernacular texts attributed to him. Most of those texts were produced in Italy. The best representation of such writings is Les Prophecies de Merlin, composed in Venice by an anti-imperialist Franciscan circa 1275. The ascribed prophecies were proscribed by the Council of Trent.
    All of these prophecies, those in Culleton's book and the following prophecies are contained in the book Le Prophecies de Merlin, 1275,

"There will be a Pope who will not dare so much as look at Rome. Similarly, one thing the Romans must understand, among others, is that before the death of the Pope, our Lord will make him suffer such disgrace that there will be nothing to compare with it. It is likewise necessary that the Romans know, among other things, that from that time on will begin their destruction, step by step, and that it will be because of their sins...

"Merlin saith that in England shall be seen many strange things, as preaching of traitors, great rain and wind, great hunger among the common people, great oppression of blood, great imprisonment of many men and great battle; so that there will be few or no quiet places to abide in; the Prince shall forsake men of the Church, Lords shall forsake righteousness... Religious men shall be thrust out of their houses; the common people for fear shall not know which way to turn; parents shall be hated by their children; men of worship shall have no reverence of their inferiors; chastity will be broken by maids, wives and widows, religious men and virgins, with more ill than I can tell of, from the which God will defend us."
    This was briefly discussed here, https://www.cathinfo.com/crisis-in-the-church/does-anyone-know-of/

9. padraig

padraig New Member

Anther set of
    What the Ancient writers did was to take the names of famous and important people as a sell for their writings. They did not mean to cheat by doing this it was just a literary form. So we have pseudo Dionysius (St Denis the followers of St Paul) who was no really of course St Denis but someone using the name as a flag.

Merlin would be I suspect another psuedo writer the real one being anonymous.

The thing is it is really difficult to Discern an anonymous writer like this.

gracia likes this.
  10. padraig

padraig New Member

Funny magic tricksters say Scientists and the learned are the easiest fooled. Children are the most difficult.

Magdelena knew how to press all the right buttons.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  11. sterph

sterph Principalities

Merlin is also a title and not always a proper name. So that needs to be taken into account.

12. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

I did a little more research on him and found the following on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin ,

"Geoffrey combined existing stories of Myrddin Wyllt (Merlinus Caledonensis), a North Brythonic prophet and madman with no connection to King Arthur, with tales of the Romano-British war leader Ambrosius Aurelianus to form the composite figure he called Merlin Ambrosius (Welsh: Myrddin Emrys)".
    If this is true, I think that the prophecies must have come from the former as opposed to the latter person described above. I am even more intrigued about him since he is referred to as a madman but I don't plan on doing much more research about him. I am going to assume that his prophecies are worthy of some consideration or they would not have been included in Culleton's book. That, of course, does not guarantee their accuracy or validity.

I recently watched a movie about Merlin and King Arthur, it was good but none of his prophecies were mentioned, :(.

13. padraig

padraig New Member

My mother used to say, 'if you believe all you hear , you will eat all you see'. The traditional understanding of Merlin (if he ever existed at all which I very much doubt) is that of a kind of super Harry Potter magician. One who did magic. In other words the very opposite of Christian.

But I shall write no more on Merlin. Enough said. You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

However I did so enjoy it when he fought the witch Madam Mim in Walt Disney, wonderful.

14. Don_D

Don_D Powers

I was listening to a book on tape recently that spoke about Fatima and in it the writer spoke about the Russian Rasputin. I often wondered if he was not something akin to the fabled Merlin because he was able to worm his way into the very intimate personal lives of the Russian nobility shortly before they were all murdered and Russia fell to Bolshevism. He was in fact murdered as well. Not that he was responsible, Russia was awash in mysticism when he appeared there. He was certainly in the right place at the right time.

gracia likes this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

Yes, I think like many others like Hitler and Stalin he was under Demonic influence and protection. The manner of Rasputin's death indicates to me that the demons were actually trying to preserve his life so he could do more evil in the world.

AED, Don_D and gracia like this.
  16. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Its an interesting story to be sure. Considering that after this the rise of Bolshevism washed over the nation and it fell with such little fight against it. I wonder if the dictates of communism in relation to an insistence on there being no God were not in part precisely because of the Czars families involvement in the occult mysticism. Giving rise to an outcry of the small segment of people supporting the bolsheviks against all things spiritual as a result.

17. padraig

padraig New Member

As far as I recall the Orthodox canonised the Czar's family (bad idea I think). I am not sure how guilty they might have been I think they were more duped than anything else.
    I suspect Rasputin had powers but they came from hell rather than heaven. But he must really have seen on the surface some kind of wild saint.

gracia and Don_D like this.
  18. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Yes a bad idea for sure. Considering that so many knew the influence that Rasputin had within this family this would just further enrage and embroil people against the Church. Those who of course had the spirit of atheism of course. I am sure that many Orthodox were under no illusion.

I pray that Russia has truly learned from the errors of her past.

19. padraig

padraig New Member

The Orthodox like the Anglicans are State Churches in all but name. Bad mistake.

Don_D and gracia like this.
  20. padraig

padraig New Member

I listened with rapt attention to a homily from a very young American priest at the Traditional Latin Mass this afternoon. The hairs on the back of my neck rose a little as I realised it was my first sermon attacking Amoris Laetitia from the pulpit. I looked for the young man after mass ot thank him and to drop a hint that the Bishop in this Diocese is the Liberal of Liberals and would be after him with a shotgun if he knew.:) But the young Yank had vamoosed.

Interesting times.:)

I think he belong to these gentlemen.

https://www.fssp.org/en/

What are we? A few figures...
    Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter (FSSP)
    Statistics as of October 24, 2016

[​IMG]Brief history
    • 18 July 1988: Founded as a clerical society of apostolic life
    Liturgical books used: Roman Missal, Ritual, Pontifical, Martyrology and Breviary in force in 1962
    • July 1988: Private audiences with Pope John Paul II and Cardinal Ratzinger
    • 18 October 1988: Erected as an institute of pontifical right by the Holy See
    • Easter 1990: Cardinal Ratzinger visits the motherhouse (in Wigratzbad, Bavaria) and offers Mass in the Traditional rite
    • 1995: first personal parish entrusted to the FSSP
    • 12 September 1999: Pope John Paul II blesses the corner stones and crucifixes for the two new FSSP seminaries in Europe and in America
    8 October 1999; 20 October 2001: the Superior General delivers an address at the Synods of Bishops in Rome
    • December 2000; June 2002; June 2005; May 2008: Cardinal Castrillon-Hoyos, President of the Ecclesia Dei Commission and Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy, comes to bless the new Saint Peter Seminary and to ordain FSSP priests
    29 June 2003: Definitive approval of the Constitutions by the Holy See
    22 February 2007: Foundation of the Confraternity of Saint Peter, a society which gathers those who are attached to the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter and who wish to support its charism through prayers and sacrifices
    • March 2008: The Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter is granted a personal parish in Rome
    • 6 July 2009: Private audiences with Pope Benedict XVI

[​IMG]Members today

• Total: 425 (incl. 277 incardinated)

• Priests: 270
    o 254 incardinated
    o 10 incorporated ad annum
    o 4 associated
    o 2 postulants
    • Deacons: 23
    • Non-deacons seminarians (including postulants): 132

• Average age of members: 37 years
    • Deceased members: 8

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Nationalities

[​IMG]
    All members

[​IMG]
    Incardinated members

[​IMG]
    Seminarians

[​IMG]Increase and ordinations
    • Number of members (as of Jan. 1 each year)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Priestly ordinations in the FSSP over the last 12 years

Year

2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
    Average

Total

7 14 8 12 9 12 8 11 11 12 15 16 11
    [​IMG]
    Number of seminarians (excluding deacons and including postulants)

[​IMG]Confraternity of Saint Peter
    • Total members: 5231
    o French speakers : 871
    o German speakers: 856
    o English speakers: 3504

[​IMG]Locations
    • Dioceses served: 124
    • Mass centers: 226 locations
    • Personal parishes: 38

[​IMG]
    Dioceses served by countries

[​IMG]
    Dioceses served
    by districts and regions

[​IMG]
    Sunday Mass centers
    by districts and regions

• Number of houses: 117
    • Number of erected houses : 82

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Number of houses (as of Jan. 1 each year)

[Source: General House FSSP; www.fssp.org]

Praetorian, Booklady, AED and 3 others like this.