1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Jesus was born on 25 December

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Inis Eoghain, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Inis Eoghain

Inis Eoghain New Member

My teenage daughter came home from school yesterday, her head filled with all this nonsense about Christians taking over pagan festivals and replacing them with Christian feasts, like the very date of Christmas itself being a way to supress celebrations of Saturnalia/Yule/Winter Solstice, and so on.
    I'm sure you have all heard these kind of claims.
    I am utterly grieved that my daughter, who was raised a Catholic but, sadly, no longer practises the faith, is prepared to give credence to this sort of mumbo jumbo.
    I am asking for help: could anyone here point me in the direction of a pithy article which refutes this belief? I also once saw an amazing video which tracked the appearance of the Star of Bethlehem to exactly ... 25 December. Does anyone know how to find it?
    I would sincerely appreciate help with this. It is just distressing to be battling with this a few days before we celebrate the birth of Our Lord.
    Thanks.
    Also, Padraig, if you read this, thank you from the bottom of my heart for providing this Forum.
    God bless everyone here and Merry Christmas!:)

2. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

(intro version)
    (this may be the full length version, not certain, I was surprised to find it on Youtube).

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  3. Inis Eoghain

Inis Eoghain New Member

Carol, you are a star! Thank you so much:)

Carol55 likes this.
  4. It is very good, we don't know that Jesus was born on the 25th of December. What we know from the Star of Bethlehem research is that the first Christmas was celebrated by the wise men on the 25th of December according to the astral records. That is what I understand from the videos.

Carol55 likes this.
  5. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

Thank you. If only that were true!

6. Malachi

Malachi Principalities

Go on to the Catholic education resource centre and there you will find a number of helpful articles by Father William Saunders and others

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  7. Malachi

Malachi Principalities

8. Malachi

Malachi Principalities

9. CrewDog

CrewDog Powers

Inis, I think that early Christian Missionaries did weave pagan beliefs into the Christian Truth in order to make the Message of Christ easier to follow ..... and make it less likely to lose one's head in the process. We must have some St Patrick experts here that might help me out here?
    GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!
    141001xmas.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    fallen saint and Inis Eoghain like this.
  10. Malachi

Malachi Principalities

11. Malachi

Malachi Principalities

Here is one you might like CD:
    http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/the-tree-of-the-christ-child.html

Inis Eoghain and CrewDog like this.
  12. Inis Eoghain

Inis Eoghain New Member

Malachi, thank you for this. It almost made me weep. My mum, from Donegal, always used to place a candle in the window at Christmas time. As a child, I thought it was lovely and pretty, but never gave it a lot of thought, and - to my shame - never asked her why she did it.
    Thank God for our forefathers (and mothers ;)) who kept the Faith.

Mario, fallen saint and Malachi like this.
  13. Dean

Dean Archangels

Early church has a few dates used for Jesus birthday. Dec 25 being one of them but we honestly don't know for sure. There may be some truth that the church took over a pagan holiday. Probably not but the theory is there. The big thing is, so what if they did. How awesome for God to take something pagan and make it holy and great! God always uses evil for good

Jeanne likes this.
  14. CathyG

CathyG Angels

This just came into my inbox. Taylor Marshall is a Catholic apologist and usually does educational podcasts. I haven't viewed it but the title is: "Was Christ born on December 25? Yes!

http://taylormarshall.com/2016/12/catholic-webinar-christ-born-dec-25-yes.html

I should add that this hasn't been broadcast yet and you have to register to listen. It is supposed to be free but he is heavy on the advertising in my opinion.

Inis Eoghain likes this.
  15. Inis Eoghain

Inis Eoghain New Member

Sam likes this.
  16. CrewDog

CrewDog Powers

I don't think that Jesus was born on 25 Dec but I do believe The Magi showed up on 25 Dec when Jesus was 18 months old or so. The Star of Bethlehem presentation convinced me of that :) Anyway ... on to more important matters! LtCol Peters is Right-On in the below ... but if you only watch LameStream Media or listen to NPR you would think that evil Christian Crusaders had been resurrected and loosed upon the Earth in instead of Islamic Demons!!

"Ralph Peters: The Feast of Stephen 2016: We are living in a new age of Christian martyrs"

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016...w-age-christian-martyrs.html?cmpid=NL_opinion

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!! & Happy Feast of Stephen & Merry 2nd Day of Christmas ;-)

141001xmas.jpg

17. MMM

MMM Principalities

I don't think whether Jesus was born on Dec. 25th (too funny when our current calendar wasn't invented yet) or born in June is even important at all. Also I also believe some Christian celebrations were likely tied into pagan timelines as part of the conversion process. It's not relevant to the big picture truth of Christ.

Like my son, your daughter may be open to anything that atheists use to justify Christ being a myth and to justify lack of faith as the truthful avenue. Don't get caught up in wasting your time arguing with her over things that aren't important. My son, now almost 22 has swung back to fully believing in God and believing Jesus was real. For a couple years he was full on in his attempts to convert us from the "myth" of Catholicism. He was very aggressive at times and pulled everything you can find on the internet at us. We stood firm in our faith and he matured. We told him even if Jesus was a myth we are still standing for Him and with Him. What is the worst case if wrong? He still argues the personal Savior part a little bit but with continued prayers and open, respectful discussions God will, in His time, bring him and your daughter to the truth. Being patient is the hardest part so continue to implore God for her protection and to bring her to the truth. God won't stop pursuing her and your faith and prayers will be heard. Don't put your expectations on God though, He will work things in His way and His timing. I see how He allowed my son to exhaust himself in these false beliefs and in his search for the true meaning of life, the truth always stands firm. God is slowly working on his conversion back, it's almost miraculous the change so far. He may never be a full on catholic but i feel my job is to save his soul, I simply won't allow him to be lost in the end and surely God knows this and won't allow it either.

sorry to ramble.

Domenica, Denise P, Booklady and 3 others like this.
  18. Mario

Mario Powers

IE,

My great-grandfather, Edward O'Loughlin and his wife, Rose Moran, originally from Donegal, came to the States in 1870. We still light candles in our "Christmas windows" to this day!:)

Safe in the Refuge of the Immaculate Heart!

19. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Tomorrow being what's known here as Little Christmas, our candle is lighting in the window.

Do you Americans have the same tradition of not taking down the Christmas decorations before the 6th January? We have been cheating the last couple of years, taking down the tree and most of the decorations except the crib about a week after Christmas.

20. CrewDog

CrewDog Powers

I'm one of the few Americans, these days, that leave my decorations up through 6 Jan. I grew up in a family that always kept the Nativity up through Epiphany.
    GOD SAVE ALL HERE!! .... & Merry 12th Day of Christmas :)

Carol55 and Jeanne like this.