I have an odd issue with gluttony

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by RosaryWielder, Jan 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Founder of Claritas

Last Saturday, I went to confession and made a very firm resolve to die to my dead past and live purely as a child of God and Mary. I have made a lot of success since then, (I also credit @Xavier and the prayers he provided with, thank you very much.) and while I am struggling with temptations right now, I am confident that this time I have a good hold on Our Blessed Mother and that She will protect me as long as I don’t let go.

However, earlier this week I had an appointment with my new doctor and did a quick check-up. He told me that everything was good except for one thing, I’m slightly obese. This is a sin that’s lurked in the background while I’ve been struggling with anger and sexual perversion. I’ve always considered it a minor weakness because, when I fast, normally I’m really good at staying course and eating very little. However, when I’m not fasting, that seems to be when gluttony becomes a problem and I tend to eat extra when an opportunity arises.

Does anyone have any advice on how to control my eating when I’m not fasting?

Xavier and DesertStar7 like this.
  2. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Guest

This is also an issue I sometimes deal with.

I have a tendency to overeat if a) I'm very happy [usually an out-of-town getaway] or b) nervous or c) sad about family.

For instance, the Coronavirus news today had me wanting to eat half a carton of ice cream (I didn't). Nervous.

The way I best control those times is to drink a tall glass of milk (fat free or 1%), or eat a large carrot, AND also reinforce that I'll feel crummy about myself if I give in.

The flip side to this is anorexia. From 2010 to 2013, I (unbelievably!) struggled with anorexia. Never before in my life, and due to a series of harsh and unexpected setbacks and disappointments. It developed suddenly, and was another way of focusing on food in relation to emotions. At one point I decided two eggs and two pieces of toast (breakfast) should become one egg and one piece of toast. I refused to take in more than 600 calories per day, and aimed for 500 calories. o_O At lowest point, I hated having to eat.

I almost NOW can't believe I went through that. :X3:

Thank the Lord, I finally snapped out of it. Regained weight and became "food friendly" again.

So the moral of this little ramble is: Don't beat yourself up...milk and fresh veggies if you must snack...an awareness that emotions can drive eating...a fondness for food can turn into an avoidance of food...and if you absolutely cannot resist another helping of your favorite food, take a half helping AND resolve to a 10 minute brisk walk after.

Julia, RosaryWielder, Sam and 3 others like this.
  3. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Sorry you are going through this. It is possible that fasting could lead to an increase in the stress hormone, cortisol, which can lead to overeating. DesertStar7 is right, when you feel hungry have a healthy snack. Have some high protein food on hand. They sell individually portioned cheese and nuts that are quite filling. Greek yogurt is high in protein, and another great choice. Frequent small snacks and plenty of water can ward off a binge.

Julia, RosaryWielder and Xavier like this.
  4. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Happy to hear you overcame anorexia, it is a devastating and dangerous illness. My oldest daughter had a terrible battle with anorexia for over 10 years, and we nearly lost her. She was so bad she was on a feeding tube, and hospitalized for several months at a time. We are very blessed that she recovered, and now has a beautiful family. The power of prayer never ceases to amaze me.

5. Fatima

Fatima Powers

For me, I keep things around that are good and good for you to snack on, like: nuts, fruit, beef sticks, sugar free candy and drink lots of water. Lay off the sugars/starches and you will do fine.

Julia, RosaryWielder and Xavier like this.
  6. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Archangels

The current thinking seems to say that snacking is the worst thing you can do.
    Fasting is becoming a massive secular movement
    This is an interesting talk on fasting:

7. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Archangels

Even Fr Mike has an angle:

RosaryWielder likes this.
  8. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Founder of Claritas

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I'm considering all your advice, I don't eat snacks, but I am considering maybe having milk and carrots and the like with my meals to fill me up. I am also considering having smaller lunches or skipping them altogether, I'll have to consider all this more.

DesertStar7 likes this.
  9. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Guest

I am so glad your daughter has recovered.

I have once seen a woman (years ago, in a relative's church) truly emaciated by anorexia; it was difficult to pretend not to notice. I've sometimes wondered if she overcame it or not. :unsure: Would be impossible to find out, being over 30 years ago now; relative is deceased after moving away from that town/church shortly after.

I only mentioned it as a "flip side" to troubles with enjoying eating. If it could happen to *me*, it could happen to others. And in my 40s!

Life can throw us some real zingers. :unsure:

RosaryWielder and Jo M like this.