1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

How to gain plenary indulgences

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by Joe Crozier 2, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Thank you A Wee One for starting this thread.

DivineMercy likes this.
  2. Amen. Amen, Joe. After attending a retreat on purgatory many years ago, I ordered and read the entire Enchiridion of Indulgences. I was amazed to discover how truly easy it is to gain both partial and plenary indulgences with but a little effort to remember to intend to do so, which I usually do in conjunction with my Morning Offering, while fulfilling the "conditions" and "work" for gaining them.

I have no idea how to start a new thread on these forums but here's the info you suggested posting. Perhaps you can copy and paste it into a new thread. Acknowledgement and thanks to the Fish Eaters' site for both the naming of possibilities for indulgences and the bed rock of accompanying catechesis: https://www.fisheaters.com/indulgences.html
    Gaining Indulgences

First we must understand what indulgences are so we don't lapse into superstition. To do this, basic concepts must be understood, but before we get to that, let's get a basic definition: "An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian who is duly disposed gains under certain prescribed conditions through the action of the Church which, as the minister of redemption, dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfactions of Christ and the saints." (1983 Catechism ¶ 1471)
    And here is what indulgences are not: they are not permission to commit sins in the future; they are not "get out of Hell free" cards; they are not the forgiveness of the guilt of sin. They have nothing to do with eternal salvation; they are only for the temporal effects of sins that have already been forgiven through Penance (or a perfect Act of Contrition, as the case may be).

OK, let's move on to the concepts involved here:

DivineMercy likes this.
  3. Gaining Indulgences (continued)
    A: Sin has two different types of effects -- eternal and temporal

Sin has both eternal consequences and temporal consequences. As an example, if I were to take an innocent life, an objectively gravely sinful matter (one of the three conditions for mortal sin), under the subjective conditions of mortal sin (full knowledge, full consent of the will), and died unrepentant, I would go to Hell. My going to Hell would be the eternal consequence of my sin.

The temporal consequences of that sin range from the death of the innocent person; the suffering of my family who endured the shame and ramifications of my arrest and incarceration or enduring capital punishment; the effects of the loss of the innocent person on the family of the innocent person; the costs to the community of the loss of the innocent person; the costs to the community of litigation; the spiritual effects on the weaker members of the community whose view of the world and God's Justice and Mercy could be affected knowing that innocent life can be taken so easily; the tarnishing of the image of the Body of Christ and the bringing of scandal upon the Church; the loss of grace in my soul and the predisposition to sin again as sin can become habitual, penance I would have to do to pay for the effects of my sin (this includes penance given to me during Confession, personal penance, and the penance assigned to me by God to be paid on earth and/or in Purgatory), etc.

If I were to repent and receive forgiveness through the Sacrament of Penance, the eternal consequences -- satisfied for by Christ at Calvary -- are no longer an issue (Deo gratias!) because I receive the effects of His atoning Sacrifice (I will have been justified) when I reconcile with the Church through a good Confession. But I still have to pay for the temporal consequences of my sin because God is not only merciful, He is just. An example I use in the Apologetics area of this site is that of a child who steals a candy bar and then then tearfully, with true contrition, confesses his crime to his parent. The parent, being loving and good and merciful, as our Father in Heaven is, will forgive that child and allow the child back in the parent's "good graces" -- but he will also still expect the child to pay back the store from which he stole. Another example is the common one of, say, an imprisoned murderer repenting and coming to know Christ -- but who still must serve out his time in prison or give up his life as punishment.

The temporal effects of repented sins that are not paid for in life through the effects of natural law, personal penance, penance given by the priest at Confession, or mystical penances given to me by God, are paid for in Purgatory. St. Augustine, in City of God (A.D. 419), sums up Catholic thinking on such things:

Temporal punishments are suffered by some in this life only, by some after death, by some both here and hereafter, but all of them before that last and strictest judgment [i.e. when Christ comes again to judge the living and the dead]. But not all who suffer temporal punishments after death will come to eternal punishments, which are to follow after that judgment.

Purgation -- the process of making satisfaction for debt caused by sin so that we may become perfect, divinized, and enter Heaven -- is quite Scriptural, of course. Allusions to purgation are found all over the Bible; but it is summed up most clearly in the following two verses:

Matthew 5:25-26
    Be at agreement with thy adversary betimes, whilst thou art in the way with him: lest perhaps the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. Amen I say to thee, thou shalt not go out from thence till thou repay the last farthing.

1 Corinthians 3:12-15
    Now, if any man build upon this foundation, gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble: Every man's work shall be manifest. For the day of the Lord shall declare it, because it shall be revealed in fire. And the fire shall try every man's work, of what sort it is. If any man's work abide, which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any mans work burn, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

B: The temporal effects of sin affect others not only in natural, but in mystical ways

As far back as the Old Testament, it is made clear that the temporal effects of sin affect others who may not have committed personal sin. The greatest and first example is that of the sin of Adam and Eve which resulted in the fall of man from grace and in his propensity for corruption and personal sin which we call "original sin."

The Pentateuch (i.e. Torah, the first five Books of the Bible) also speaks of the sins of the fathers being visited upon the children:

Exodus 20:5 ...I am the Lord thy God, mighty, jealous, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me.

I Corinthians 12:26 demonstrates that what affects one member of the Body affects another:

And if one member suffer any thing, all the members suffer with it: or if one member glory, all the members rejoice with it.

These concepts seem foreign to those who live in the modern Western world's radically individualistic culture, but they are Scriptural fact. They may seem "unfair" (as though life with our fallen nature is supposed to be fair), but that it is true is obvious by looking at the often sad lives of the poor children of "crack-whores," or the parents of those who tend to end up in and out of Juvenile Hall, etc. This is not to say that those who suffer the consequences of their ancestors' sins are doomed! No! All are called to Christ and His Church, and Jesus will judge us as individuals by looking at our hearts, wills, deeds, and intellect, taking into consideration factors which mitigate culpability. Nonetheless, the basic idea that our sins affect others not only in obvious temporal ways, but in mystical ways, is Bibilical.

All of these temporal punishments, though painful, are merciful. Without discipline and punishment from God, we would continue in our ways, remain unrepentant, and then suffer the eternal consequences of doing so. A father who does not discipline his children is a bad father who is setting up his child for greater troubles down the road. God, though, is a good Father:

Hebrews 12:5-11 And have you forgotten the consolation which speaketh to you, as unto children saying: My son, neglect not the discipline of the Lord: neither be thou wearied whilst thou art rebuked by Him. For whom the Lord loveth, He chastiseth: and He scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. But if you be without chastisement, whereof alll are made partakers, then are you bastards, not sons. Moreover, we have had fathers of our flesh for instructors, and we reverenced them. Shall we not much more obey the Father of spirits and live? And they indeed for a few days, according to their own pleasure, instructed us: but He, for our profit, that we might receive His sanctification. Now all chastisement for the present indeed seemeth not to bring with it joy but sorrow: but afterwards it will yield to them that are exercised by it the most peaceable fruit of justice.

Last edited: 18 minutes ago
    a wee one, 28 minutes ago Report
    #22 Like Reply

DivineMercy likes this.
  4. Gaining Indulgences (continued)
    C: Grace and good works affect others in the same way

Continue reading the Exodus 20 Torah portion mentioned above:

Exodus 20:5-6 ...I am the Lord thy God, mighty, jealous, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me. And shewing mercy unto thousands to them that love me, and keep my commandments.

The good we do, by the grace of Christ, ripples out into the universe and builds up His Body:

Colossians 1:23-24 If so ye continue in the faith, grounded and settled, and immoveable from the hope of the gospel which you have heard, which is preached in all the creation that is under heaven: whereof I Paul am made a minister. Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for his body, which is the church...

When we cooperate with grace -- when we pray, give alms, fast, offer up our sufferings, etc. -- we literally strengthen the Body of Christ in a mystical way! Christ Himself and all the Saints of 2,000 years (by the grace of Christ) have built up His Mystical Body and laid up a "treasury of merit" or "spiritual treasury," as it is also called. In the same way we or others detract from the Body of Christ through sin, we and others add to this treasury -- and receive the fruits thereof when we receive an indulgence, for we are one in the Body of Christ:

Romans 7:5 We being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another

And read once again I Corinthians 12:26: And if one member suffer any thing, all the members suffer with it: or if one member glory, all the members rejoice with it.

D: The Church was given the power to bind and loose

To Peter was given the Keys to the Kingdom (Matthew 16) and the power of binding and loosing (forbidding/permitting, condemning/acquitting). In exercising this power of the Keys, the Church has the authority to determine certain practices which help us to to benefit from the treasury of merit and alleviate the temporal effects of sins we've confessed and are already forgiven for. This is an indulgence.

That the Church was given the power to forgive the eternal effects of sin through the Sacrament of Penance makes it easier to understand how the Church also has the power to alleviate the lesser, temporal effects of sin. The Church whose priests were given the authority by Christ to forgive the guilt of sin and thereby, by the Blood of Christ, eliminate the eternal punishments for sin, surely also has the authority to pardon the temporal punishments of sin.

To refer again to the analogy of the child who steals a candy bar and repents:

The Good parent and child

Holy Mother Church and child

the parent forgives the child for stealing and allows the child back into his good graces

the Church forgives the guilt through the Sacrament of Confession, thereby eliminating the eternal consequences by the grace of Christ, and restoring the penitent from being a "dead member" of the Church to a "living member" of the Church

the child desires to pay back the store ("make satisfaction" for his debt)

the faithful desires to make satisfaction for his debt to God which he incurred through sin

the child turns to his parent for help in making satisfaction for his debt to the store. The child doesn't have the money to pay back the store, but to the parent, the cost of the candy bar is nothing

Holy Mother Church was given the power of the Keys and, therefore, the authority to make ways for the penitent to make satisfaction for his debts to God by tapping into the treasury of merits of Christ and the Saints

the good parent says that if the child is truly contrite and truly desires to make satisfaction for the debt, he can earn enough to pay for some of the candy bar if he does X, or enough to pay for all of the candy bar if he does Y

Holy Mother Church sets out certain prayers and works to be offered under certain conditions which will either pay for some of the debt owed to God (partial indulgence) or all of the debt owed to God (plenary indulgence)

the child does X or Y

the faithful performs the prescribed actions, under the prescribed conditions, to gain an indulgence

the good parent follows through on his promise, helping the child pay for his crime by opening his wallet and giving the child some or all of the money to pay back the store.

the Church mitigates punishment incurred (temporal penalties) by opening the treasury of merit and applying those merits to the faithful.

Now, suppose there are two children. One child steals the candy bar and then dies. The other child -- his brother, say -- wants to help pay his dead brother's debt, so he pays back the store in the name of his dead brother.

In this way, the Catholic can offer the benefits of the indulgence to the souls in Purgatory. Indulgences can only be applied to oneself or to a soul in Purgatory, not to another living person. When applied to the souls in Purgatory, it is done only by petition to God, for those no longer of the Church Militant (the living members of the Church on Earth) are not subject to the Church hierarchs who've been given the authority to grant indulgences.

Last edited: 19 minutes ago
    a wee one, 26 minutes ago Report
    #23 Like Reply

DivineMercy likes this.
  5. Gaining Indulgences (continued)
    E: Indulgences are either Partial or Plenary
    An indulgence can be either partial, which remits only some of the temporal punishment due to sin, or plenary, which remits all temporal punishment due to sin.

Partial Indulgences:
    Partial indulgences can be acquired as often as one desires. To gain a partial indulgence, one must do the following. These are "the usual conditions" for receiving a partial indulgence:
    • be in a state of grace (free of mortal sin). A good Confession isn't otherwise necessary, but a contrite heart for even venial sin is.
    • intend to receive the indulgence
    • perform the prescribed action of the indulgence
    There are three General Grants of partial indulgences and many Special Grants.

The General Grants:
    • First General Grant:
      A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful who, in the performance of their duties and in bearing the trials of life, raise their mind with humble confidence to God, adding - even if only mentally - some pious invocation.
    • Second General Grant:
      A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who in a spirit of faith and mercy give of themselves or of their goods to serve their brothers in need.
    • Third General Grant:
      A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who in a spirit of penance voluntarily deprive themselves of what is licit and pleasing to them.
    Special Grants:
    Plenary Indulgences:
    Plenary Indulgences can be acquired only once each day for the same work (unless one is at the moment before death, in which case he may acquire another. Another exception is on All Souls Day -- November 2 -- when the faithful may gain a plenary indulgence, only for the souls in Purgatory, as often as they want). Plenary indulgences are much more demanding than partial indulgnces, for they require one to do the following. These are "the usual conditions" for receiving a plenary indulgence:
    • have the intention of gaining the indulgence
    • receive the Sacrament of Penance (within several days before or after the prescribed action of the indulgence, though the same day is best, if possible)
    • receive the Eucharist (within several days before or after the prescribed action of the indulgence, though the same day is best, if possible)
    • pray 6 Paters (Our Fathers), 6 Aves (Hail Marys), and 6 Glorias (Glory Bes) for the intentions of the Holy Father (within several days before or after the prescribed action of the indulgence, though the same day is best, if possible). The most recent Enchiridion prescribes at least one of each, but 6 is the traditional number.
    • perform the prescribed action of the indulgence. If the prescribed action of the indulgence requires a visit to a church or oratory, one must visit devoutly and recite 1 Our Father and the Creed. This doesn't refer to any visits to a church for Confession or the Eucharist in order to fulfill the requirements listed above; it refers to such indulgences as those granted to the faithful for visiting a church on the day of its consecration, visiting their parochial church on its titular feast day, visiting the stational churches of Rome, etc.
    • be free from all attachment to venial sin
    This last is most difficult, but if it can't be fulfilled, a partial indulgence will be gained.

Some examples of ways to gain a plenary indulgence:
    • Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament for at least one hour
    • Making the Way of the Cross or, if unable to get to a church, the pious meditation and reading on the Passion and Death of Our Lord for a half an hour
    • Public recitation of five decades of the Rosary. This must be done vocally, continuously, and with the Mysteries announced out loud and meditated on.
    • A plenary indulgence is granted on each Friday of Lent to the faithful who after Communion piously recite before an image of Christ crucified the prayer: "Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus." On the other days of the year the indulgence is partial.
    • A plenary indulgence is granted to the faithful who renew their baptismal promises in the liturgy of the Easter Vigil
    • A plenary indulgence is granted when an Act of Consecration is publicly recited on the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
    • A plenary indulgence is received by those who publicly make the Act of Consecration of the Human Race to the Sacred Heart on the Feast of Christ the King (last Sunday in October per the traditional calendar, last Sunday of Pentecost per the Novus Ordo calendar)
    • A pious visit to a church, a public or chapel on All Souls' Day (November 2) with the prayers of one Our Father and the Creed; this indulgence is applicable only to the Souls in Purgatory.
    • A devout visit to a cemetery with a prayer, even if only mental, for the departed souls, from the first to the eighth day of November.
    With any of these indulgences, one's confessor (i.e., the priest one goes to for the Sacrament of Penance, not just any priest) may commute the work or conditions of receiving them if there is hardship.

The complete list of indulgenced prayers and works are contained in a book called the "Raccolta" or the "Enchiridion" (pronounced "en-ki-RID-ee-un" and which means "handbook" or "manual.") There are other enchiridia for other purposes, but if one speaks of "the Enchiridion" with no qualifiers, one generally means the Raccolta.

When looking at an old Enchiridion, or when reading old prayer books, one might see a period of time attached to a partial indulgence, e.g. "indulgence of 100 days." This number indicates an amount of time of penance one was given in the early Church after a Confession, i.e., the priest would give someone a penance of a certain amount of time before he could be fully re-admitted into the Church (penances were much harsher back then!). After 1968, the indication of days in such a manner was done away with because it was not clear to some uneducated persons that the days did not refer to "time in Purgatory" Some were under the very mistaken impression that, say, "indulgence of 100 days" meant that one would spend 100 fewer days in Purgatory instead of its true meaning: that performing the prescribed action amounts to doing a penance of 100 days.

a wee one, 25 minutes ago Report
    #24 Like Reply
    Sam likes this.

6. wow. Thanks AWO. what a great start - any more from anyone else - the more the merrier. Any specific prayers or devotions that you know?

DivineMercy likes this.
  7. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

Personally I like the "Prayer before a Crucifix" that becomes an indulgence when prayed before a crucifix after Holy Communion (under usual conditions). I find it easy to go to confession, followed by Mass with communion, and then this prayer while on my knees, though I usually pray the Anima Christi first. :)

Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus
    while before Your face I humbly kneel and with burning soul,
    pray and beseech You
    to fix deep in my heart lively sentiments
    of faith, hope, and charity;
    true contrition for my sins,
    and a firm purpose of amendment.
    While I contemplate,
    with great love and tender pity,
    Your five most precious wounds,
    pondering over them within me
    and calling to mind the words which David, Your prophet, said to You, my Jesus:
    "They have pierced My hands and My feet,
    they have numbered all My bones."

Joe Crozier 2 likes this.
  8. LittleVoice

LittleVoice WOE WOE WOE

Jesus about indulgences:
    ―There are two indulgences which are the greatest—plenary. And they come from God, from Me, the eternal Pontiff. That of Love, which covers a multitude of sins. It destroys them in the fire. Those who love with all their strength consume their human imperfections moment by moment. Those who love commit nothing more than imperfections. The second plenary indulgence, granted by God, is that of a resigned death, of whatever kind it may be, a death willing to offer a final act of obedience to God.
    ―Death is always a calvary. Great or small, it is always a calvary. And it is always ‗great,‘ even if it apparently has nothing making it seem to be so, for it is adjusted by God to the strength of each (I am speaking here of my children, not of those who are children of Satan), to the strength which God increases in the measure of the death that is the destiny of his creature; and it is great because, if fulfilled in a holy way, it takes on the greatness of what is holy. Every holy death, then, is glory rendered to God.

9. Thank you little voice and yes I agree we are always wonderfully indulged by God's love. But I was thinking more of the ways that we are graced by His Church by way of such things as prayers, practices, devotions etc that carry indulgence. Your comment made me think of one old prayer that I was given as a child but I can't remember if it carries a specified indulgence:
    "Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul,
    Jesus, Mary and Joseph, assist me in my last agony,
    Jesus, Mary and Joseph, may I breath forth my soul in peace with you. Amen."

DivineMercy and LittleVoice like this.
  10. LittleVoice

LittleVoice WOE WOE WOE

I have old latin book Enchiridion indulgentarium, Typis polyglottis Vaticanis MCMLII, and your prayer to Holy family seems to be abreviation and translation of preces 275 - Indulgentia trium annorum ( 3 years )

Joe Crozier 2 likes this.
  11. ASK FATHER: Do indulgences listed in the old ‘Raccolta’ still apply today?
    Posted on 4 March 2014 by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
    [​IMG]From a reader…

QUAERITUR:

I was wondering whether or not old indulgences granted under the old rules, for example, in the Raccolta, expire or are superseded by the new rules of the Enchiridion Indulgentarium. That is, it is my private belief that I can still get a plenary indulgence attached to an old devotion, so long as it was stated and no official pronouncement said anything to the contrary.

Given the generally lax nature of the new rules, am I correct in holding this view? For example, the new rules say nothing about certain old pronouncements, nor about superseding old collections of indulgences. Am I then free to assume that the old rules still bind with the authority of Peter?

I am glad that you are interested in gaining indulgences. All Catholics should be!

Pope Paul VI’s Apostolic Constitution 1967 Indulgentiam Doctrina, by which indulgences were revised, states,

“Indulgences attached to the use of religious objects which are not mentioned above cease three months after the date of publication of this constitution in the Acta Apostolicae Sedis.

Acta Apostolica Sedis is the Holy See’s usual official instrument of promulgation of law.

There were certain other indulgences – privileges of certain religious orders, for example, that required revision. Of these, the Holy Father states,

“The revisions mentioned in n. 14 and 15 must be submitted to the Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary within a year. Two years after the date of this constitution, indulgences which have not been confirmed will become null and void.”

That pretty much clears things up.

All the indulgenced prayers and devotions of the old Raccolta, except for those that have been carried over into the new Enchiridion, are null and void.

Peter binds and Peter loosens.

The old indulgenced prayers and devotions are still of great spiritual merit. However, unless they been re-confirmed in the Enchiridion or perhaps by a grant from the Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary, the indulgence attached to them no longer applies.

On that note, if you see in some older work that an indulgence of X number of days, months or, as we are on the verge of Lent, quarantines, are indicated, you can be pretty sure that that indulgence no longer applies. Today the Church applies either partial or plenary indulgences. That’s it.

So, friends, get out there during Lent and be indulgence indulgent. Gain those indulgences!

And GO TO CONFESSION!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Share/Bookmark
    [​IMG]
    About Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
    Fr. Z is the guy who runs this blog. o{]:¬)
    View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
    This entry was posted in "How To..." - Practical Notes, ASK FATHER Question Box, Our Catholic Identity and tagged Enchiridion Indulgentiarum, indulgences, Raccolta. Bookmark the permalink.

a wee one and Sam like this.
  12. a wee one

a wee one Angels

Sam and Joe Crozier 2 like this.
  13. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

I found this today at the following :

http://www.catholic.org/prayers/indulgw.php

Issued by the Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary, 1968
    + Joseph Cardinal Ferretto,
    Titular Bishop of the Suburban Church
    of Sabina and Poggio Mirteto,

Originally published by Liberia Editrice Vatican,
    Vatican City, 1968

This is a digest of the works and prayers listed in the Enchiridion of Indulgences. The Enchiridion recites each indulgenced prayer in full. Because most are recognizable they will only be listed by name. The un- translated Enchiridion lists each work and prayer in alphabetical order by their Latin names. The order shall remain the same in this listing. The descriptions of the works and details regarding obtaining the indulgence will be edited and abreviated in this listing. The following is not represented to be an exact reprint of the Enchiridion but an accurate digest of what constitutes an approved indulgenced work by the Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary.

In all but the plenary indulgence of In Articulo Mortis, at the moment of death, a plenary indulgence mentioned below MUST be accompanied by the three prerequisites of a plenary indulgence.

1. Sacramental Confession,

2. Communion, and

3. Prayer for the intention of the Holy Father, all to be performed within days of each other if not at the same time.
    Thus the formula for obtaining a plenary indulgence are the three constants mentioned above plus any one of the variable works mentioned below as being worthy of a plenary indulgence.

1. Direct, we beg you, O Lord.(Prayer from Roman Ritual) Partial indulgence.

2. Acts of the Theological Virtues and of Contrition. A partial indulgence is granted to those who devoutly recite, according to any legitimate formula, the acts of faith, hope, charity, and contrition.

3. ADORATION OF THE MOST BLESSED SACRAMENT. A PLENARY INDULGENCE is granted to those who visit the Most Blessed Sacrament for at least one half hour (together with the three prerequisites (constants) of a plenary indulgence. A partial indulgence is granted to those who visit and adore the Most Blessed Sacrament without the three constants or for any period less than one half hour.

4. Hidden God (Adoro te devote) -- hymn, partial indulgence.

5. We have come (Adsumus) -- prayer, partial indulgence.

6. To you, O blessed Joseph (Ad te, beate Ioseph) --- prayer, partial indulgence.

7. We Give You Thanks ---- prayer from Roman Breviary, partial indulgence

8. Angel Of God --- prayer, partial indulgence.

9. The Angel Of The Lord --- prayer, partial indulgence.

10. Soul of Christ (Anima Christi) --- prayer, partial indulgence.

Joe Crozier 2 and a wee one like this.
  14. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

Continued.....

1. Visit to the Patriarchal Basilicas in Rome. A PLENARY INDULGENCE to those who devoutly visit one of the Patriarchal Basilicas in Rome and recite one Our Father and the Creed,
      1. On the titular feast of the Basilica;

2. On any Holy Day of Obligation;

3. Once a year on any other day of one's choice. (Remember the three constants are also required to obtain ANY plenary indulgence.)
    2. PAPAL BLESSING. A PLENARY INDULGENCE is granted to those who "piously and devoutly" receive, even by radio, the Blessing of the Pope when imparted to Rome and the world (Urbi et Orbi). (3 constants.)

3. Visit to a Cemetery. Only applicable to the souls in Purgatory when one devoutly visits and prays for the departed. A PLENARY INDULGENCE is bestowed for this work each day between November 1 and November 8.

4. Visit to a "Catacomb" (early Christian cemetery.) Partial indulgence.

5. Act of spiritual Communion according to any pious formula -- partial indulgence.

6. Recitation of the Apostles Creed or the Nicene-Constantinopolian Creed -- partial indulgence.

7. ADORATION OF THE CROSS. A PLENARY INDULGENCE to those who in solemn liturgical action of Good Friday devoutly assist in at the adoration of the Cross and kiss it.

8. Office of the dead. A partial indulgence to those who devoutly recite Lauds or Vespers of the Office of the Dead.

9. "Out of the Depths" (De profundis). Psalm 129. Partial indulgence to those who recite.

10. Christian Doctrine. Partial indulgence to those who take part in teaching or learning christian doctrine.

11. "Lord God Almighty." (Roman Breviary.) Partial indulgence.

12. "Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus." "Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus, while before your face I humbly kneel, and with burning soul pray and beseech you to fix deep in my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity, true contrition for my sins, and a firm purpose of amendment, while I contemplate with great love and tender pity your five wounds, pondering over them within me, calling to mind the words which David, your prophet, said of you, my good Jesus: "They have pierced my hands and my feet; they have numbered all my bones." PLENARY INDULGENCE when recited on a Friday in Lent and Passiontide, when recited after Communion before an image of Christ crucified. On any other day the indulgence is partial.

13. Eucharistic Congress. PLENARY INDULGENCE to those who devoutly participate in the customary solemn eucharistic rite at the close of a Eucharistic Congress.

14. "Hear Us" (Roman Ritual) -- partial indulgence.

15. RETREAT. (Exercitia spiritualia). PLENARY INDULGENCE to those who spend at least three (3) whole days in the spiritual excercises of a retreat.

16. "Most sweet Jesus --Act of Reparation" PLENARY INDULGENCE when this prayer is publicly recited on the feast of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. Otherwise the indulgence is partial.

17. "Most sweet Jesus, Redeemer -- Act of Dedication of the Human Race to Jesus Christ King." PLENARY INDULGENCE when this prayer is publicly recited on the feast of our Lord Jesus Christ King. Otherwise the indulgence is partial.

18. The Moment of Death (In articulo mortis). PLENARY INDULGENCE. EXCEPTION TO THE THREE CONSTANTS. (Verbatim recitation of the grant follows:) "To the faithful in danger of death, who cannot be assisted by a priest to bring them the sacraments and impart the Apostolic Blessing with its plenary indulgence (see can. 468, Sec.2 of Code of Canon Law), Holy Mother Church nevertheless grants a plenary indulgence to be acquired at the point of death, provided they are properly disposed and have been in the habit of reciting some prayers during their lifetime. The use of a crucifix or a cross to gain this indulgence is praiseworthy." The condition: 'provided they have been in the habit of reciting some prayers during their lifetime' supplies in such cases for the three usual conditions required for the gaining of a plenary indulgence." The plenary indulgence at the point of death can be acquired by the faithful, even if they have already obtained another plenary indulgence on the same day."

19. Litanies. Partial indulgence to those who recite the following litanies: the litany of the Most Holy Name of Jesus; The litany of The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus; The litany of the Most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ; The litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary; The litany of St. Joseph; and the litany of All Saints.

20. "The Magnificat". Partial indulgence.

21. "Mary, Mother of Grace." (Roman Ritual) Partial indulgence.

22. "The Memorare." (Remember, O Most gracious Virgin Mary.) Partial Indulgence.

23. "The Miserere" (Have mercy of me.) Psalm 50. Partial indulgence.

24. Novena Devotions. Partial indulgence to those who participate in a public novena before the feast of Christmas or Pentecost, or the Immaculate Conception.

25. Use of Articles of Devotion. (Verbatim follows:) "The faithful, who devoutly use an article of devotion (crucifix or cross, rosary, scapular or medal) properly blessed by any priest, obtain a partial indulgence. "But if the article of devotion has been blessed by the Sovereign Pontiff or by any Bishop, the faithful, using it, can also gain a PLENARY INDULGENCE on the feast of the Holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, provided they also make a profession of faith according to any legitimate formula."

26. Little Offices. The following Little Offices are each enriched with a partial indulgence: the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Joseph.

27. Prayer for Sacerdotal or Religious Vocations. Partial indulgence is granted to those who recite a prayer approved by ecclesiastical Authority for the above intention.

28. Mental Prayer. Partial indulgence to those who spend some time in pious mental prayer.

29. "Let us pray for our Sovereign Pontiff" (Roman Breviary) Partial Indulgence.

30. "O Sacred Banquet" (Roman Breviary) Partial indulgence.

31. Assistance as Sacred Preaching. PLENARY INDULGENCE is granted to those who attend a Mission, hear some of the sermons and are present for the solemn close of the Mission. A partial indulgence is granted to those who assist with devotion and attention at the sacred preaching of the Word of God.

32. FIRST COMMUNION. PLENARY INDULGENCE is granted to those who receive Communion for the first time or to those who ASSIST at the sacred ceremonies of a First Communion.

33. First Mass of a Newly Ordained Priest. PLENARY INDULGENCE granted to the priest and to the faithful who devoutly assist at the same Mass.

34. "Prayer for Unity of the Church." Partial indulgence.

35. Monthly Recollection. Partial indulgence to those who take part in a monthly retreat.

36. "Eternal Rest." A partial indulgence only to the souls in purgatory. "Eternal rest grant to them, O Lord, and let the perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace."

37. "May it Please you, O Lord." Partial indulgence. "May it please you, O Lord, to reward with eternal life all those who do good to us for your Name's sake. Amen."

38. RECITATION OF THE MARIAN ROSARY. (The following is verbatim.) "A PLENARY INDULGENCE is granted, if the Rosary is recited IN A CHURCH OR PUBLIC ORATORY OR IN A FAMILY GROUP, A RELIGIOUS COMMUNITY OR PIOUS ASSOCIATION; a partial indulgence is granted in other circumstances. "Now the Rosary is a certain formula of prayer, which is made up of fifteen decades of 'Hail Marys' with an 'Our Father' before each decade, and in which the recitation of each decade is accompanied by pious meditation on a particular mystery of our Redemption. "The name 'Rosary,' however, is commonly used in reference to only a third of the fifteen decades. "The gaining of the plenary indulgence is regulated by the following norms: "
      1. The recitation of a third part only of the Rosary suffices; but the five decades must be recited continuously. "

2. The vocal recitation MUST be accompanied by pious meditation on the mysteries. "

3. In public recitation the mysteries must be announced in the manner customary in the place; for private recitation, however, it suffices if the vocal recitation is accompanied by meditation on the mysteries. "

4. For those belonging to the Oriental rites, amongst whom this devotion is not practiced, the Patriarchs can determine some other prayers in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary (for those of the Byzantine rite, for example, the Hymn 'Akathistos' or the Office 'Paraclisis'); to the prayers thus determined are accorded the same indulgences as for the Rosary."
    39. Jubilees of Sacerdotal Ordination. A PLENARY INDULGENCE is granted to a priest on the 25th, 50th and 60th anniversaries of his ordination when he renews before God his resolve to faithfully fulfill the duties of his vocation. If the priest celebrates a jubilee Mass, the faithful who assist at it can acquire a Plenary Indulgence

15. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

Sorry the numbering did some auto correct thing above. :confused:
    Anyway, that's not all that's listed, the link lists 70 indulgenced prayers and actions

16. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

I had no idea that there was a partial indulgence for singing "Adoro Te Devote"! I sing that hymn in choir at Mass every so often and have been missing out! o_O

17. a wee one

a wee one Angels

Nice work, DM. Thank you. You obviously found a great online resource and I like your comment concerning the hymn, "Adoro Te Devote." When I first read the Manual of Indulgences, I was amazed at how easy it is to garner the indulgences for the Holy Souls.

I had mentioned earlier (I don't know what I did to cause my reply to the excellent article Joe posted to just fold up.) the resource I have is a manual published specifically for the United States by the Bishops Conference here. That leads me to believe there must be manuals published by the major Bishop Conferences throughout the world.

I typed from the book today and will repost now in hopes it doesn't fold, making it easier to read. I started with the norms because they are instructive. Good stuff to think about when setting out to gain the indulgences. A highlight from the article that Joe posted which is noteworthy is that new editions replace old ones. Therefore, it's important to consult the most recent edition for a resource.

OK. The repost:

Excellent find, Joe. Thank you for clearing up an important point with this article. I've got my Manual of Indulgences in hand. This edition is the most current one and was first printed in 2006 by the USCCB (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops).

The manual begins with listing the Norms on Indulgences. ( AWO says: They provide important understandings.)

N1. An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punsihment for sins, whose guilt is forgiven, which a properly disposed member of the Christian faithful obtains under certain and clearly defined conditions through the intervention of the Church, which, as the minister of Redemption, dispenses and applies authoritatively the treasury of the expiatory works of Christ and the saints.

N2. An indulgence is partial or plenary according to whether it removes either part or all of the temporal punishment due sin.

N3. The faithful can obtain partial or plenary indulgences for themselves, or they can apply them to the dead by way of suffrage.

N4. The faithful who perform with at least inward contrition an action to which a partial indulgence is attached obtain, in addition to the remission of temporal punishment acquired by the action itself, an equal remission of punishment through the intervention of the Church.

N13. If a liturgical celebration or its external solemnity is lawfully transferred, it is understood thta an indulgence attached to that liturgical celebration is likewise transferred to the same day.

N14. If a visit to a church or an oratory is required to obtain an indulgence attached to a particular day, this may be accomplished from noon of the preceding day until midnight of the particular day.

N15. The faithful can acquire an indulgence if they use devoutly on of the following properly blessed pious objects, namely: a crucifix or cross, rosary, scapular or medal.

N16. ... 1. Indulgences attached to visiting a church or oratory do not cease if the church is totally destroyed and then rebuilt within fifty years in the same or almost same place and under the same title.
    ... 2. An indulgence attached to the use of an article of devotion ceases only if the article is destroyed or sold.

N17. ... 1. In order to be capable of gaining indulgences one must be baptized, not excommunicated and in the state of grace at least at the completion of the prescribed works.
    ... 2. To gain an indulgence, one must have at least the general intention of doing so and must carry out the enjoined works at the stated time and in due fashion, according to the sense of the grant.

N18. ... 1. A plenary indulgence can be acquired only once in the course of a day; a partial indulgence can be acquired multip0le times.
    ... 2. The faithful however can obtain the plenary indulgence at the hour of death even if they have already gained on on the same day.

N19. The work prescribed for acquiring a plenary indulgence connected with a church or oratory consists of a devout visit during which an Our Father and the Creed are recited, unless other directives have been laid down.

N20. ... 1. To gain a plenary indulgence, in addition to excluding all attachment to sin, even venial sin, (AWO's confessor of 30 + years, who is a canon lawyer, says this condition is too easily overlooked and is a critical condition for which to strive.) it is necessary to perform the indulgenced work and fulfill the following three conditions: sacramental confession, Eucharistic Communion, and prayer for theintention of the Sovereign Pontiff.
    ... 2. A single sacramental confession suffices for gaining several plenary indulgences; but Holy Communion must be received and prayer for the intention of the Holy Father must be recited for the gaining of each plenary indulgence.
    ... 3. The three conditions may be fulfilled several days before or after the performance of the prescribed work; it is, however, fitting that Communion be received and the prayer for the intention of the Holy Father be said on the same day the work is performed.
    ... 4. If the full disposition is lacking, or if the work and the three prescribed conditions are not fulfilled, saving the provisions given in Norm 24 and Norm 25 regarding those who are "impeded," the indulgence will only be partial.
    ... 5. The condition of praying for the intention of the Holy Father is fully satisfied by by reciting one Our Father and one Hail Mary; nevertheless, one has the option of reciting any other prayer according to individual piety and devotion, if recited for this intention.

DivineMercy and Joe Crozier 2 like this.
  18. a wee one

a wee one Angels

Joe, this prayer, referred to as an "invocation" is included in the most recent Manual of Indulgences as well. There are SO many we all use and most are not aware these simple prayers have value as a partial indulgence, such as:

All holy men and women of God, pray for us.

Blessed be the Holy Trinity.

Christ conquers! Christ reigns! Christ rules!

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.

Hail, O Cross, our only hope.

Heart of Jesus, all for you.

Heart of Jesus, in you I trust.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for me.

Jesus, gentle and humble of heart, make my heart like unto yours.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph

Lord, increase our faith.

Lord, send laborers into your harvest.

May the most Blessed Sacrament be praised now and forevermore.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on me.

My God and my all

My Lord and my God!

My Mother, my trust

O God, be merciful to me a sinner.

O Queen conceived without original sin, pray for us.

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Remain with us, O Lord.

You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.

We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you, because by your Holy Cross you have redeemed the world.

DivineMercy likes this.
  19. I like the wee short indulgence prayers - more bang for your buck!

DivineMercy and a wee one like this.
  20. Thank you for all your work on this DM. Good job!

DivineMercy and a wee one like this.