1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

how British cardinal fixed conclave for his friend Pope Francis

Discussion in 'Church Critique' started by BrianK, Sep 5, 2017.

1. BrianK

BrianK Resident Kook, Crank, Curmudgeon - & Mod Staff Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/03/revealed-british-cardinal-fixed-vatican-conclave-friend-pope/

Revealed: how British cardinal fixed Vatican conclave for his friend Pope Francis
    [​IMG]
    Pope Francis in St Peter's Square in August 2017 Credit: Giuseppe C/PacificPress/Barcroft
    It is a tale every bit as intriguing as the plot of Conclave, Robert Harris’s best-selling thriller set during a fictitious papal election.

For it has emerged that Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor, the former Catholic archbishop of Westminster who died last week, intervened in the last Conclave to ensure his friend was elected Pope Francis.

In the days before the 2013 vote, Murphy-O’Connor co-hosted a reception at the British embassy in Rome to lobby support for Cardinal Bergoglio, the then progressive archbishop of Buenos Aires.

According to a new book, Murphy-O’Connor invited cardinals from the Commonwealth but deliberately left off the invitation list two powerful but conservative clerics - Cardinal Ouellet from Canada, who had been a frontrunner, and Cardinal Pell from Australia.

The plan, which succeeded, was to persuade the cardinals of the need for a liberal pope without interference from the senior conservatives.

The book by Catherine Pepinster, the former editor of The Tablet, details how embassy officials left the room to allow Murphy-O’Connor time to persuade the cardinals of the importance of voting for Bergoglio.

[​IMG]Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor dies aged 85 01:15
    Murphy-O’Connor had been dismayed when Pope Benedict XVI was elected at the previous conclave and was determined to avoid another conservative Pope.

Ms Pepinster, whose book The Keys and The Kingdom: Britain and the Papacy from John Paul II to Francis is published next month, said: “Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor was a popular, genial man but beneath his jovial exterior was someone of great canniness who knew exactly how the Vatican worked.

“And that canniness meant he ensured his friend was elected Pope Francis - a pope who has made a huge impact on the Catholic Church and the world. There have been kingmakers in history; Cormac Murphy-O’Connor turned out to be a popemaker.”

Pope Francis was elected on March 13 2013, the second day of the conclave, on the fifth ballot. He need two-thirds of the 115 votes to win. It is thought the votes delivered by Murphy-O’Connor were instrumental. The two men became close friends after meeting for the first time when they were made cardinals on the same day by Pope John Paul II.

In 2013, Murphy-O’Connor was too old to vote under Vatican rules, but he travelled to Rome, like many other elderly non-voting cardinals, to participate in talks, called congregations, before the conclave.

Shortly after his elevation, Pope Francis was overheard telling Murphy-O’Connor: “Tuo e colpevole”, translated as “you’re to blame”.

2. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Archangels

He's probably part of the blame all right.
    How very strange that he has passed away at this particular time before the book is released.

3. garabandal

garabandal Powers

He will have to give account for all of his actions to the living God.

Tanker and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  4. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

Gods plan...everything returns to good.

Brother al

Tanker likes this.
  5. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Archangels

Fail to see the good here?

BrianK likes this.
  6. indaiatubano

indaiatubano New Member

I ashamed that he shares my first name.:notworthy:o_O

BrianK and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

Perhaps I am wrong but my understanding under Canon Law is that you are forbidden to canvas for a candidate for Pope outside the conclave under pain of excomunication. Also how did the British Embassy , a secular power become involved?

Sigh. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

By the way it is a basic principle of Moral Theology we were taught as children that you don't attain a good end by a bad act.

That's 101, kids grasp this at once, I know I did.

Don_D and BrianK like this.
  8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Archangels

Graphic video!

9. Jarg

Jarg Archangels

JOHN PAUL II
    SUPREME PONTIFF
    APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTION
    UNIVERSI DOMINICI GREGIS
    ON THE VACANCY
    OF THE APOSTOLIC SEE
    AND THE ELECTION
    OF THE ROMAN PONTIFF

79. Confirming the prescriptions of my Predecessors, I likewise forbid anyone, even if he is a Cardinal, during the Pope's lifetime and without having consulted him, to make plans concerning the election of his successor, or to promise votes, or to make decisions in this regard in private gatherings.

80. In the same way, I wish to confirm the provisions made by my Predecessors for the purpose of excluding any external interference in the election of the Supreme Pontiff. Therefore, in virtue of holy obedience and under pain of excommunication latae sententiae, I again forbid each and every Cardinal elector, present and future, as also the Secretary of the College of Cardinals and all other persons taking part in the preparation and carrying out of everything necessary for the election, to accept under any pretext whatsoever, from any civil authority whatsoever, the task of proposing the veto or the so-called exclusiva, even under the guise of a simple desire, or to reveal such either to the entire electoral body assembled together or to individual electors, in writing or by word of mouth, either directly and personally or indirectly and through others, both before the election begins and for its duration. I intend this prohibition to include all possible forms of interference, opposition and suggestion whereby secular authorities of whatever order and degree, or any individual or group, might attempt to exercise influence on the election of the Pope.

81. The Cardinal electors shall further abstain from any form of pact, agreement, promise or other commitment of any kind which could oblige them to give or deny their vote to a person or persons. If this were in fact done, even under oath, I decree that such a commitment shall be null and void and that no one shall be bound to observe it; and I hereby impose the penalty of excommunication latae sententiae upon those who violate this prohibition. It is not my intention however to forbid, during the period in which the See is vacant, the exchange of views concerning the election.

82. I likewise forbid the Cardinals before the election to enter into any stipulations, committing themselves of common accord to a certain course of action should one of them be elevated to the Pontificate. These promises too, should any in fact be made, even under oath, I also declare null and void.

83. With the same insistence shown by my Predecessors, I earnestly exhort the Cardinal electors not to allow themselves to be guided, in choosing the Pope, by friendship or aversion, or to be influenced by favour or personal relationships towards anyone, or to be constrained by the interference of persons in authority or by pressure groups, by the suggestions of the mass media, or by force, fear or the pursuit of popularity. Rather, having before their eyes solely the glory of God and the good of the Church, and having prayed for divine assistance, they shall give their vote to the person, even outside the College of Cardinals, who in their judgment is most suited to govern the universal Church in a fruitful and beneficial way.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-p...ii_apc_22021996_universi-dominici-gregis.html

HeavenlyHosts and BrianK like this.
  10. fallen saint

That is why our little tiny mind is not God.

Peace my Brother and Sisters in Christ. God has a plan to allow souls to join him. It's greater then one pope or 1000 years.

:)

11. padraig

padraig New Member

Granted we have not the 'Mind of God'. I can go along with this. Very insightful.:D:D:D:D
    ..yes

'.God has a plan for us to join Him. ' Well err yes on the button again.:D:D

'It's greater then one pope or 1000 years.' mmm of course.

I don't want to be sarcastic, Fallen saint . All this is very,very,very obviously true....but well, have you anything to say that is not totally . entirely and overwhelmingly obvious, banal and trite ? ;)

:rolleyes::censored::cry:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    BrianK likes this.
  12. fallen saint

It's not easy being...Brother al

13. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

Well! If Bro Al is saying that Almighty God is "In-Control" though news, events & people turn "Dark" .... it sounds reasonable to me. Thinking about the "Dark" without God is .... well ... unthinkable!:( All Here have a part to play in what's here ... NOW ... you have what you need for your "role". Do your best and I'm guessing your best will be good enough. :)

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!