1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

How best to side step a Eucharistic Minister

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by paddymclovin40, Jul 12, 2017.

1. paddymclovin40

paddymclovin40 New Member

:(Several times as I made my way up to the priest to receive communion these Eucharistic Ministers cut in front of me and expect me to receive Holy communion from them. With a shake of the head and a fast side step I move past them and make it to the priest. The last guy was so shocked by me that as he returned to the alter he dropped the remaining communion hosts. Just back from Lough Derg afford up prayers for all here feel better with sleep. Question how do we deal with these people in a respectful thank God for the Latin mass, during mass on lough Derg I would not stand during the santus ( spelling ?) and I guy poked me as he
    though I a fallen asleep annoying:(

Pray4peace likes this.
  2. Shae

Shae Angels

Paddy, I am an EMHC but I have never witnessed what you describe. In my experience as an EMHC, when I am serving Holy Communion at Mass, it is clear to me those who would prefer to receive from our Priest, as they stay in his line. When my line is finished, I simply return to the altar, respecting their desire to receive from the hands of the Priest, rather than from me. I have no problem with that at all, and I certainly would never cut in front as you describe. Your gesture of a headshake should be enough of a signal to the Eucharistic Minister (it would be clear enough for me). I don't know what else you could do. Perhaps someone else could offer another solution.

AED, gracia, sterph and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tanker

Tanker Principalities

Eucharistic ministers shouldn't be forcing themselves on anyone. They are there to serve and nothing more. They probably think they just helping out the lines. I think side stepping them is the way to go. You can talk to the pastor about it but I think what you are doing should be clear enough.

heyshepard, AED, gracia and 3 others like this.
  4. heyshepard

heyshepard Principalities

I also am an EM. I'm there to assist the priest in his administration of the Precious Body and Blood. I feel it's an honor to serve but I have never interjected myself into the priest's line or tried to give to anyone the Host that didn't appear to want It. The Holy Eucharist is the same, (One Bread, One Body) as what is being administered by the priest, so A.T. you're correct, it is clearly a preference.

Seagrace and Anthonys Truth. like this.
  5. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

There are several of us that prefer to receive from the priest because he has consecrated hands. There is a local N.O. parish that only allows the priest and deacon to distribute the Eucharist (that's rare where I live) and the EMs distribute the Precious Blood. It's up to the priest to decide.

I also receive directly on the tongue and not in my hands because I don't feel worthy to touch the Body of Christ. That however is my own personal opinion, and in no way is meant to disparage or reflect on the many faith filled and holy EMs who truly just want to serve God.

When it comes to the Eucharist, one can never be too reverent or respectful. So even though the Eucharist is the same whether received in the hands or on the tongue from the priest, for some of us, the level of reverence in how one receives it is very different.

6. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Just be grateful you aren't coeliac. The priest told me to give myself Communion from the chalice and wasn't best pleased when I said I'd rather not do that.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  7. sterph

sterph Principalities

More time to give thanks after Holy Communion does not seem to me to be a bad thing.

AED and Pray4peace like this.
  8. heyshepard

heyshepard Principalities

Thank you Pray4peace, I do not hold it against anyone that goes to the Priest's line. I see it as in the Luke's gospel, "Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her". I distribute the Blessed Eucharist and or Precious Blood with awe. As a servant of God, I take on the task with great reverence & love.

AED, Dolours and Pray4peace like this.