1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Holy Door rules and sites in Ireland

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Scolaire Bocht, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Scolaire Bocht

Scolaire Bocht Principalities

We only have a few months left in the Year of Mercy so I thought I would try and explain the Holy Door Indulgence here and list the sites in Ireland where it can be availed of. Maybe those that go to mass everyday might like to go to these locations, at least for the few months left, and avail of the Indulgence while there?

The Holy Door Indulgence during the Year of Mercy

First of all a definition: an Indulgence is the remission before God of temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, a Plenary Indulgence heals all such effects of ones sins while a Partial Indulgence heals part of the effects.

Unfortunately all sins, even those forgiven, leave a stain on the soul which after death will need to be wiped away in purgatory, presuming that the given soul is going there and not to hell. But the fires of purgatory are said to be nearly as hot as the latter place, the saying is that a second suffering in purgatory is as bad as a 100 years suffering on earth, hence any attempt to relieve that suffering - which is what the indulgence does - is a major gift.

So the Church traditionally has used its keys, the right to change things on earth which are echoed in heaven, as Our Lord promised, to grant these indulgences under certain conditions. Obviously well known cases are where the Church sometimes 'sold' indulgences prior to the Reformation, much to Martin Luther's disgust, by promising less time in purgatory in return for donations to church building funds etc. These abuses were however stamped out in the Counter Reformation and in this reformed state indulgences remain very much a part of Church doctrine.

Since 1300, building on older, in fact Old Testament, traditions, the Church has inaugurated a Jubilee Year, with an accompanying Indulgence, at first every 100 years and now every 25 years, which typically involve many pilgrims coming to Rome and taking advantage of the Indulgence by passing through the Holy Doors in the Eternal City. Also there have been a number of Extraordinary Jubilees, called out of that 25 year sequence by the Popes for various reasons. The last ordinary Jubilee was in the year 2000 centred on Rome and the Holy Land and now the Holy Father has called an Extraordinary Jubilee - which began on December 8th 2015 and will end on November 20th 2016 - centred on the theme of God's Mercy.

Somewhat typically! he has also broken with tradition in this Jubilee by expanding the idea of the Holy Doors out of Rome into the wider world and even opened the first Door in Bangui in the Central African Republic. So hence everybody can take advantage of this Jubilee and its Indulgences, you can now make a pilgrimage to your local diocesan Holy Door and do not have to go to Rome to pass through the famous Doors there.
    [​IMG]

Of course there is a lot else involved with this Jubilee and the Holy Father particularly wants the Catholic faithful to use this year in contemplation of God's Mercy and even with practical and spiritual acts that flow from this but in this article I hope to describe the Holy Door Indulgence specifically.

Since this is the first year that these Doors have been used worldwide (although the 2000 Jubilee did envisage pilgrims going to their local Cathedrals) the rules attached to this Indulgence are slightly unclear - and seem to vary a little in their interpretation across the dioceses - but can be nonetheless clarified if you follow the Catechism rules on indulgences in general, the traditional rules attached to the Jubilee Holy Doors in Rome, Pope Francis' letter announcing the Year of Mercy and various Vatican documents on the subject. Probably the best summary of what is involved with this Indulgence is provided by Pope Francis:
    What follows here is a suggested summary of these rules to be followed at the Holy Door and which we hope will gain you the Indulgence:

2. Scolaire Bocht

1) You go to confession. It is better if you can get confession on the day itself, because you need to be not only free of mortal sin but if possible also of serious venial sins, when you travel through the Door and this might be a lot easier if you were coming straight out of confession. Technically though you don't need confession on the day, you could go any time about 20 days either side of going through the Door (as is true of receiving Communion) but you might also need to be a saint to be so free of sin for that time! Also you need to try and be removed from the attachment to sin as you go through the Door, which in practice might mean a special effort to maintain that 'firm purpose of amendment' your catechism teacher taught you about confession all those years ago.

2) You need to receive Holy Communion and at that moment dedicate that Eucharist to this process of going through the Holy Door and also contemplate of God's Mercy, as Pope Francis has called for. Unlike confession it is one Communion for each passage through the Door.

3) Then after entering the Holy Door you need to say some prayers for the Pope's intentions, maybe an Our Father and Hail Mary. The Vatican document describing the Indulgence ('Useful information regarding the implementation of the Jubilee') asks that the prayer for the Pope's intentions should be "at least an Our Father" and "it is suggested that pilgrims recite the lovely prayer of Pope Francis for the Jubilee, and that they conclude...with...'Merciful Jesus I trust in You.'" So some prayers for the Pope are compulsory and optionally you might like to recite the Pope's prayer:
    4) You need to add some other prayers of your own and these must include a Creed, so hence maybe recite an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Apostles Creed. Also you can dedicate the Plenary Indulgence either to some deceased person you know or yourself but not to any other living person. If the Indulgence succeeds you will have freed that person - or yourself, when you die obviously! - from purgatory, if not you do at least gain a Partial Indulgence.

It only remains to say that the Plenary Indulgence is possible to a maximum of one per day, but a Partial Indulgence could be gained if the requirements are met more than once per day. What follows is a list of Irish sites where these Doors have been opened but bear in mind they are usually not the main doors of these buildings, frequently you need to walk around a bit to find some side or internal door advertised as such.

Maybe readers should make a conscious effort to turn this into a year of such pilgrimages, as Pope Francis envisages?

djmoforegon, SgCatholic, Sam and 3 others like this.
  3. Scolaire Bocht

Province of Armagh
    Ardagh and Clonmacnoise
    St Mel's Cathedral, Longford, Co. Longford.
    St Mary's Church, Athlone, Co. Westmeath.
    Armagh
    St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh, Co. Armagh.
    St Peter's Church, West St., Drogheda, Co. Louth.
    Clogher
    St Macartan's Cathedral, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan.
    St Patrick's Basilica, Lough Derg, Co. Donegal.
    Derry
    St Eugene's Cathedral, Derry, Co. Derry.
    Down and Connor
    Clonard Monastery, Belfast, Co. Antrim.
    St Patrick's Church, Donegal Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim.
    Dromore
    St Patrick and St Colman's Cathedral, Newry, Co. Down.
    Kilmore
    Cathedral of St. Patrick and St. Felim, Cavan, Co. Cavan.
    St. Anne's Church, Bailieboro, Co. Cavan.
    St. Patrick's Church, Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim.
    St. Clare's Church, Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim.
    Meath
    Cathedral of Christ the King, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath.
    St Mary's Church, Navan, Co. Meath.
    Raphoe
    Cathedral of Sts. Eunan and Colmcille, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal.
    Ards Capuchin Friary, Creeslough, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal.
    Rossnowlagh Franciscan Friary, near Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal.

Province of Cashel and Emly
    Cashel and Emly
    S.S. Joseph and Brigid Cathedral, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
    HolyCross Abbey, near Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
    Cloyne
    St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh, Co. Cork.
    Cork and Ross
    St Francis' Church, Cork, Co. Cork.
    Kerry
    St Mary's Cathedral, Killarney, Co. Kerry.
    Killaloe
    Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul, Ennis, Co. Clare.
    Mount St Joseph Cistercian Abbey, near Roscrea, Co. Offaly.
    Limerick
    Cathedral of John the Baptist, Limerick, Co. Limerick.
    Waterford and Lismore
    Most Holy Trinity Cathedral, Waterford, Co. Waterford.
    Sts. Peter's and Paul's Church, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.
    St. Mary's Church, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford.

Province of Dublin
    Dublin
    St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Marlborough St., Dublin, Co. Dublin.
    Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Sean McDermott St., Dublin, Co. Dublin.
    St Francis Xavier Church, Gardiner St., Dublin, Co. Dublin.
    House of Mercy (founded by Catherine McAuley), Baggot St., Dublin, Co. Dublin.
    Sts. Peter and Mary Church, Arklow, Co. Wicklow.
    (A temporary Holy Door was also created during the Divine Mercy Conference, 19th-21st February 2016, in the RDS, Dublin, Co. Dublin.)
    Ferns
    St Aidan's Cathedral, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.
    St Michael's Church, Gorey, Co. Wexford.
    St Mary's and St Michael's Church, New Ross, Co. Wexford.
    Church of the Assumption (yet to be formally opened?), Our Lady's Island (near Rosslare), Co. Wexford.
    Church of the Assumption, Bride St., Wexford, Co. Wexford.
    Kildare and Leighlin
    Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow, Co. Carlow.
    Duiske Abbey (from September 11), Graiguenamanagh, Co. Kilkenny.
    St. Brigid's Church, Kildare, Co. Kildare.
    St Fintan's Church, Mountrath, Co. Laois.
    Ossory
    St Mary's Cathedral, James St., Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny.

Province of Tuam
    Achonry
    Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Nathy, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon.
    Clonfert
    St. Brendan's Cathedral, Loughrea, Co. Galway.
    Emmanuel House of Prayer (Eddie Stones), Clonfert, Co. Galway.
    Elphin
    Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Sligo, Co. Sligo.
    Galway and Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora
    Cathedral of Our Lady Assumed into heaven and St Nicholas, Galway, Co. Galway.
    Killala
    St. Muredach's Cathedral, Ballina, Co. Mayo.
    Tuam
    Cathedral of the Assumption, Tuam, Co. Galway.
    Our Lady of Knock Basilica, Knock, Co. Mayo.

4. josephite

josephite Powers

Thank you Scolaire Bocht.

Florida Panther, Julia and Indy like this.
  5. Florida Panther

Florida Panther Jesus through Mary

Thank you for starting this thread. Being from the Sunshine state- I thought Id take your lead and post the locations of the Holy doors here in Florida.

FLORIDA

Booklady and Julia like this.
  6. Scolaire Bocht

Many thanks for your likes and compliments and great work Florida Panther.

Anyway I know you will all be decamping off to these cathedrals every morning for these next three months so you will need to get up a bit earlier and hence Ii wont delay you here!

Florida Panther likes this.
  7. Thanks for posting the guidelines SB, there is quite a lot of confusion surrounding the prayers and actions. For example, the prayers required in Knock greatly differ from those in Navan.

8. Scolaire Bocht

Yes and they are different again in the Pro Cathedral I notice but hopefully the essentials are clear enough.

Some dioceses also vary the time limit within which you must go to confession and take Holy Communion either side of going through the door, some say 10 days and some 20! As I say the confusion is because this is the first time they did this in the Cathedrals across the world.

But I think its a very good thing and three cheers for Pope Francis for democratising it like this for us!

Sam and Border collie like this.
  9. Florida Panther

Florida Panther Jesus through Mary

Always hoped to make it back to Ireland one day, even more now since my conversion. I went there on my honeymoon in 1989, did the self drive tour with the bed and breakfasts. With how far we drove, we could of gone through a lot of doors on the list! My wife's family came from Cork, my side was from the North :whistle:

Border collie likes this.
  10. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Excellent - thankyou for this!

11. Scolaire Bocht

I am pleased to be able to say that a few weeks ago in the Diocese of Meath they opened another Holy Door in Oldcastle Church:
    [​IMG]

Pray4peace likes this.
  12. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

Pardon my ignorance, that isn't the sanctuary right?

13. Scolaire Bocht

Its a side altar just a little to the left, as you face it, of the main altar. The altar houses a relic, a femur bone, of St Oliver Plunkett who is a native of the parish.

SgCatholic likes this.
  14. Scolaire Bocht

When they opened it there was a great occasion with a packed Church, numerous priests and big confessional queus.

15. Does anyone know if there is a holy door still open in the Dublin area?

16. Marie-Lou

Marie-Lou Angels

I
    I'm not sure Border Collie if they all closed on the same day. I know the Holy Door in Clonard monastery closed on Sunday past. I felt quite sad walking in today with the beautiful plaques and garlands removed from the doors. Have the cathedrals or churches in the Dublin area that had been given the Holy Door not got a website you could check? The closing of the Holy Door at Clonard took me by surprise I honestly thought I had another week or two and rushed the family down on saturday past before it closed. Hopefully some are still open

17. Marie-Lou

Marie-Lou Angels

I have just read that whist nov 20th is the official closure of the Holy Door at St Peter's basilica in Rome, around d 10,000 Holy Doors closed in Sunday 13th November around the world. That was when Clonard monastery in Belfast closed their holy door too. Quite sad to see it close though I must try to make more frequent confession.

Border collie and Joe Crozier 2 like this.
  18. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

The good news is that the church has always been merciful. A plenary indulgence can still be obtained by the Faithful all year round any day of the year.

Border collie, Denise P and Marie-Lou like this.
  19. Scolaire Bocht

Well the Holy Doors in Mullingar and Oldcastle in the Diocese of Meath are still open so I suspect BC that the Dublin ones are still open as well. Navan is closed though.

This is the last day folks for people to go through them because they certainly all close tomorrow, the 20th of November, worldwide!

20. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Looks like you're too late.

Notice on the Diocesan website:

CLOSE OF HOLY DOOR http://litmus.dublindiocese.ie/2016/11/close-of-holy-door/

Please note that as the Jubilee Year of Mercy comes to an end, Holy Doors that have been opened will close around the world. Archbishop Diarmuid Martin will close the Holy Door of Mercy in St. Mary’s Pro Cathedral on Sunday before 11am Mass on Sunday 13th November. You are invited to cross the Holy Door at the Pro Cathedral any day between now and November 13th The door chosen by Archbishop Martin [an entrance to the left of the main door on Marlborough Street] leads into an area of the Pro-Cathedral that has two confessionals, and a statue memorial to Venerable Matt Talbot, whose life was healed from addiction when he encountered God’s mercy. The Door also looks to the altar of St Laurence O’Toole, patron of the Archdiocese, celebrated as a man of mercy. Holy Doors of Mercy will also close on that date in Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Sean Mc Dermott Street, Dublin, where the remains of Venerable Matt Talbot lie; the Church of St. Francis Xavier in Gardiner Street, which holds the Cross of Venerable John Sullivan; the Parish Church of Sts. Peter and Mary in Arklow; and also at the House of Mercy in Baggot Street, established in 1827 by Catherine Mc Auley, foundress of the Sisters of Mercy. It was Pope Francis’ desire that anyone passing through a “Door of Mercy” would experience the love of God who consoles, pardons and instils hope.