1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone read The Ways of Mental Prayer by Vitalis Lehodey??

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by Don_D, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Don_D

Don_D Powers

I recently began thinking about meditation due to a video I watched on Sensus with Fr Ripperger who suggests it.

I only know meditation as simply pondering the things which are God's. We do this when we pray the Rosary and at other times as well like Mass. Sometimes while doing other mundane things also.

That said, like many I have probably a better knowledge of eastern meditation if only because I was raised in a very "open" new age family and it has so penetrated our society here in the West.

I am wondering if this book is a good read for the novice person attending RCIA? If not would anyone have any suggestions as to a good starting point for one wishing to understand and practice meditation on God's mysteries?

gracia likes this.
  2. Carmel333

Carmel333 Archangels

I just looked it up and it looks good. I am a 3rd Order Carmelite so part of our rule is to practice 1/2 hour of contemplative prayer per day. I would also highly recommend Father Dubay's "The Fire Within" which talks about they ways of contemplative prayer and how God communicates with us by several supernatural means that we may never have really noticed. There are "touches" from God, all they way up to "Locutions or hearing His voice in words" and even "Levitation" which has happened to great saints who have achieved complete Union with God. This book is written for beginners in prayer so very easy to understand. One of the things I found that had happened to me since I was a child was a deep desire for something that I did not know what nor could I seem to fill. This desire is for God and is given to us by God. One thing we have to understand is the difference between prayer and other meditations or centering of the mind: Prayer is to mentally put yourself in God's presence, meaning to sit down, get comfortable, be AWARE of God's presence, and then just be quiet and sit with Him. I would start at about 10 minutes and set a timer. If you get distracted, (which you will....Satan HATES this prayer and will discourage you horribly) just say "Jesus I love you" softly in your mind and keep trying. Other forms of new age meditation are simply looking for ones own power, or to quiet the mind, they are NOT communicating with God, which is a huge difference.

gracia, sterph, AED and 3 others like this.
  3. AED

AED Powers

A priest from sensus fidellium whose talk was recently posted recommends a book called The Catechism of Mental Prayer" or The Interior Castle by St Teresa of Avila. Both can be gotten on Amazon. I too am looking for a good guide.

gracia likes this.