1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone considered becoming a Deacon?

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by Don_D, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Just wondering. My step Father is starting the process to become a Deacon but he is not sure if he will make it because of his age and the level of responsibility required.

I don't know much about this so I figured that I would ask. It seems we have a real problem in our area finding people to take up these vocations.

2. BrianK

BrianK Resident Kook, Crank, Curmudgeon - & Mod Staff Member

Yes, but my diocese considers me a trouble maker because I helped get rid of homosexual pederasts from the local priesthood. :confused:

3. BrianK

@Mario I think you can shed some light here?

Mario likes this.
  4. Mario

Mario Powers

Hi Don,

I'm in the Syracuse Diocese up in NY State. A new class of deacon candidates is formed every two years. To join such a class, one must first complete a 2-yr course open to all adult, lay Catholics, called Formation for Ministry. So the process including Formation for Ministry, application, interviews, and 4 yrs. of Diaconate formation can take up to 7 years or so. My class will be ordained next May and consists of 12 men. The 2020 class behind us consists of 17 men as of right now.

It is an excellent program. Fr. Lou Aiello, who oversees the program is a wonderful man and most of the instructors are of high caliber. There have only been a few disappointing teachers, of whom one allowed the promotion of a heretical position by inviting a modernist to come in as a guest speaker. For the most part, I'm very pleased.

Safe in the Refuge of the Immaculate Heart!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Denise P and Mary's child like this.
  5. Mario

Mario Powers

You, Brian?! I find that hard to believe.;) Maybe the definition of orthodox has come to mean troublemaker?:coffee: I'll have to look it up in my Modernist dictionary!:LOL:

Safe in the Barque of Peter!

BrianK, Mac, Fatima and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mary's child

Mary's child Archangels

:ROFLMAO::rolleyes::D

7. BrianK

Our previous bishop literally called me an “enemy of the diocese.” I must be a really bad dude, huh?

CathyG and Mary's child like this.