1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy New Year!!

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Dec 31, 2015.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I am sitting here drinking a few whiskeys and beers and thinking of what to thank God for in 2015.

My sister died this year, what's left of it.:)..and I know many of you lost loved ones, some of them in the most tragic of circumstances.

Yet I can only say, speaking for myself God had come closer, even through the year. Of course I keep trying and failing..and having to rely even more on God than ever before. This brings great peace and joy. Let the victory be God's not mine. I have felt an ever greater peace and joy than ever before. I have to lie back and let God carry me through this New year of 2016.

Let Him cary you too. May the Mother of God , whose Feast is tomorrow lift you too in her tender arms. May she carry you too through 2016.

Such Peace! Such joy! Such happiness!

John 14:27

Peace I Leave with You
    27"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful. 28"You heard that I said to you, 'I go away, and I will come to you.' If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.…

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Marie-Lou, CrewDog and Joe Crozier like this.
  2. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

A beautiful depiction and powerful song of prayer. Please tell me more about this holy nun. I tried googling her but no info.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2015
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  4. padraig

padraig New Member

St Charbel of course was Maronite.

Joe Crozier likes this.
  5. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

Marie-Lou, Marianna and Sam like this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

Joe Crozier likes this.
  7. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

Thanks CD. That brought a wee tear to this old Scot so far away from home. Happy New Year to you. Its been 2016 here in New Zealand for nearly 10 hours already.

8. padraig

padraig New Member

Tell us the future then.:D:eek:

9. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

"But they'll never take our freedom."

Here's tae us
    Wha's like us.
    Damn few
    And they're a' deid!

That's a toast by Robbie Burns. I never really understood it but its said all over the world at new year.
    Cheers Padraig
    As we leave the old year behind i think of the Parting Glass that I first heard sung by Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers.
    THANKS PADRAIG

10. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

We have Charlie for that:cautious:

11. padraig

padraig New Member

12. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

13. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

You beat me to it, beautiful version. even bagpipes. Before Auld Lang Syne this was the song Scots sang at New Year. Better stop hogging the site with our own wee party. Have a dram on me. I will be going to 11 a.m.mass and confession today for my first Saturday tomorrow.

14. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

.... and as we say good-bye to 2015 and those who passed through our lives this year.

My Old Mother would have been 101 today! I always toast her on her New Years Eve B-Day :) ... this year I forgot to buy a bottle of her favorite booze, "Canadian Club" .. :( .. I live in a Dry County & 60+ miles from an "Oasis" .. she liked her CC & Water ... so.. I'll break-out my special bottle of Jameson instead to toast her and my MOG & elsewhere Friends :LOL:

GOD BLESS & Happy New Year!!

fallen saint and Sam like this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

Indy likes this.
  16. padraig

padraig New Member

17. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

Amazing how many people here thought of "The Parting Glass" within a 5 min period. This song, of course, is an Irish & Brit tradition and I only know of it from the movie "Waking Ned Devine" ... Great Show!... anyway! I liked the song so much I came up with my own version and told my sons to see that it was "performed" at my Wake/"Going Away" Party:

The Parting Glass

Of all the money that e'er I had,
    I spent it in good company.
    And all the harm that e'er I've done,
    Alas! It was to none but me.
    And all I've done for want of wit,
    To memory now I can't recall.
    So fill to me the parting glass.
    Goodbye and joy be with you all.

Of all the comrades that e'er I had,
    They're sorry for my going away.
    And all the sweethearts that e'er I kissed,
    They’d wish me one more day to stay.
    But since it falls into my lot,
    That I should go and you should not.
    I take my leave and fondly call,
    Goodbye and peace be with you all.

Fill to me the parting glass,
    And drink to health what'er befalls.
    Then gently rise and softly call,
    Farewell and God be with you all.

Traditional Irish c. 1700
    Adapted by D Shea :ROFLMAO:

Fill to me a New Year's Glass and God be with Ya'll!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016
    Katfalls likes this.
  18. miker

miker Powers

I am truly blessed in that I will be welcoming in the New Year with my wife and our two youngest children along with our small community of Catholics at Holy Mass. It starts around 10pm and we usually finish just at midnight. I can't think of a better way to end one year and start another. You will all be with me in spirit along with your intentions at Mass tonight. I took a sneak peek at the readings and the second one from St. Paul is just so awesome. This truly is good news as we start the year. We have not only been ransomed by Jesus but God the Father has adopted us as his children. We have it all no matter what happens this year. Our "dad", our Abba, Father is in our hearts. Now that is a Happy New Year. Peace.

Brothers and sisters:
    When the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son,
    born of a woman, born under the law,
    to ransom those under the law,
    so that we might receive adoption as sons.
    As proof that you are sons,
    God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts,
    crying out, “Abba, Father!”
    So you are no longer a slave but a son,
    and if a son then also an heir, through God.

19. Verne dagenais

Verne dagenais Principalities

Happy new year to everyone. 2016 is going to be a great year

20. DonnaS

DonnaS Guest

Happy New Year, Verne and all at MOG forum....God's Blessings on all of us!