Feast of our Lady of Loreto today

Discussion in 'Mother of God' started by mothersuperior7, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Our Lady of Loreto, pray for us!
    Feast day is December 10th
    I enjoyed this homily and learned some new things about the Holy House of Loreto. The feast day is December 10th.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://airmaria.com/?sn=121210b&vp=32407&prefx=hmly&plyrnb=1&ttl=Homily
    or

- Fr. Elias on the feast of Our Lady of Loreto preaches on the Holy House of Loreto where Our Lord was conceived and grew up in Nazareth. He underscores the historicity of Christ's life that is actually denied by some and how humble the circumstances that Jesus the Son of God and our Savior entered into our world. Ave Maria!The holy house where Our Lady lived in Nazareth was translated miraculously to the Italian city of Loreto in the province of Ancona on December 19, 1294 - more than 700 years ago.

[​IMG]
    Our Lady and the Divine Infant pictured in the translation of the Holy House to Loreto

The house did not go straight to Loreto, but in the year 1291 it was miraculously transported from Nazareth to the town of Tersatto in Dalmatia (Croatia). The local population, filled with astonishment, did not know how to explain its sudden appearance. Their Bishop, who was gravely ill, now appeared in their midst cured. He had prayed to the Virgin Mary that he might be strong enough to see the prodigy for himself, and the Mother of God appeared to him, surrounded by Angels, saying:

“My son, you have called for me, and here I am. I came to give you succor and to reveal to you the mystery [of the translation of the Holy House] you desire to know. The holy dwelling is the very house where I was born and raised. It was there that I received the good news brought by the Archangel Gabriel and I conceived the Divine Infant by the operation of the Holy Ghost. It was there that the Word was made flesh.

“After my death, the Apostles consecrated this dwelling, illustrious for its great mysteries, and sought the honor of celebrating the August Sacrifice there. The altar is the very one that the Apostle Peter erected; the crucifix was placed there by the Apostles. The small cedar statue is an image of me made by the Evangelist Luke, who, moved by his attachment and affection for me, expressed through his art my features as perfectly as possible for a mortal.

“This beloved house, so dear to Heaven, highly honored for many centuries in Galilee but today deprived of due homage caused by to the general decay of the Faith, has been transported from Nazareth to these lands. The author of this great event is God, for whom nothing is impossible.

“For you to bare witness to all that I am telling you now, you will suddenly be cured and return to full health after the long illness you have borne, so that through you all will believe in this miracle.”

[​IMG]
    The interior of the Holy House of Nazareth

After the Moslem takeover of Albania in 1294 and the possibility of profaning the Holy House of Nazareth, it disappeared from Tersatto. According to reports of shepherds, on December 10, 1294 that house miraculously appeared in a wooded area four miles from Recanati, Italy. The news spread fast and soon it was visited by many pilgrims.

From there, for reasons only known to Divine Providence, the house moved twice in the same region and finally set down where is today the town of Loreto.

The people of Loreto sent a group of 16 men to Tersatto and Nazareth to determine for certain the origin of the Holy House. They related that the foundations of the house were still in Nazareth, and that they matched the house in Loreto, which has stood in a marvelous way for hundreds of years with no foundation.

Over the centuries, many Pontiffs have testified to the authenticity of the Holy House and the miracles that have been attributed to it and have granted numerous indulgences to those who visit it.

jayneturner2012 likes this.