Fasting Difficulties

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Border collie, Jun 28, 2013.

1. I decided to start this thread so as not hyjack another :)

On the topic of fasting difficulties, what is it that some people find hard?
    Maybe there are some easy solutions... for example I know a person who used to get the shakes when he fasted. He found however if he took a little spoon of honey it sorted this immediately.

2. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" ADMIN Staff Member

I would suggest your friend get tested for diabeties immediately !!!!!!

3. That could be true Quis ut Deus.. I'l check it out. Thanks for that.

4. grimisocks

grimisocks Archangels

My main issue is when I fast (right now!!) my mind plays all types of tricks on me. Yer man on my left shoulder tells me "Why not have your breakfast? Isn't it normal to have nourishment". While the fella on my other shoulder says "Look, whatever hardship you go through in fasting, can and will be offered up for your causes today. If you only knew the great deeds suffering brings, you'll embrace it more. Padre Pio said that one time don't you know". So yeah, there you have it. My stomach is howlin' with the hunger as I write:cry:

HOPE likes this.
  5. I checked it out Quis ut Deus, turns out he was doing more days at a stretch than just one, but he has got sense now and just does the wed and fri. :)

6. Hi grimisocks,
    you describe the struggle very well :D

I don't think fasting is about going hungry though, to me it's more about choosing to eat one kind of food and (water, which we drink everyday anyhow). I have finally found a bread I like and I stuff myself with it til the hunger eases.
    The most important part though I think, is to pray for the grace to fast.

I don't have all the answers and I only know what works for me, but I'm sure others will help out here...

God Bless

7. grimisocks

grimisocks Archangels

Well, if it's not about going hungry. That is depriving oneself of the comfort of food. What is it about? I mean, eating bread to stave off the hunger pangs is the same as eating cake to stave off the hunger pangs.

Fasting is a very intimate and individual undertaking and is often left up to oneself to discern what's best for the individual. But I'm wondering is there an actual fasting template? Hopefully someone would be kind enough to point this out...

8. grimisocks

grimisocks Archangels

Oops:oops:. Just read the other forum on fasting. I've learnt that Mary in Medj has said to fast on bread and water. Apologies BC. My bad...

9. Adoremus

Adoremus Powers

My difficulties with fasting don't have so much to do with hunger as with comfort. I can handle the hunger pangs and tend to fill up on bread (which you can only eat so much of before it loses it's appeal, which, I suppose, is the point) but what I haven't been able to do yet is go without tea or coffee. They are my crutch throughout the day and it really all comes down to comfort. That's what I need to work on.

I mentioned this before on another thread but it's worth suggesting again, it is a good idea to keep a notebook or diary in which you write down your intentions for each day you fast. It helps to motivate you and keep you focussed if you refer back to it throughout the day, especially when temptation raises its ugly head.

10. no worries :p

11. I'd prefer cake any day to bread for hunger pangs lol.