1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Evangelical Counsels (or Vows)

Discussion in 'Video Blogs' started by Mario, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Mario

Mario Powers

Traditionally, they are three: chastity, poverty, and obedience. They are seen as foundational for the religious life. I have two sons in the Legionaries of Christ. My oldest son, Benjamin, is permanently professed, and was ordained a priest in December, 2014. My second oldest son, Patrick, was just permanently professed on August 20th and will be ordained a priest in December, 2018, God willing.

For my two sons, I consider the professing of vows as more important than becoming a priest. Initially, Patrick took temporary vows which I view as equivalent to an engagement. There is commitment, but one that is not for life. But the professing of permanent vows is for life and akin to marriage. It is the giving of one's heart entirely to Christ for the sake of His Body, the Church. This gift of self is to be generous and selfless and is what Jesus called Patrick to do just two weeks ago! The Legion also adds a 4th counsel, that of charity.

Below, is a short clip of on that holy occasion and is important because none of my family was personally present. At the 1:49 mark the brothers are making their vows and since Patrick is closest to the mic, his voice is most clearly heard.

It is a precious moment and one that BrianK will appreciate, especially if his son continues his formation in the Norbertines.

Praise God!:ROFLMAO:

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

How beautiful Mario...you must be so proud. Nice to see you posting again and I hope that means things have turned around for you.

Carol55 likes this.
  3. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Thank you, Mario, for raising two sons to dedicate themselves in the service of Christ's Church, and thank God for their vocations. May He call many more to labour in His vineyard.

Carol55 likes this.
  4. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

Mario, Wow! Thank you posting this. I will be praying for your sons.