1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone here belong to KoC or Stephan ministries?

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Don_D, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Don_D

Don_D Powers

I have been thinking quite a lot about how I might try to contribute in the life of the Church. Given my physical limitations, I am not a great candidate for things requiring much in the way of physical sturdiness anymore. My health can be day to day so I really don't know what I can do to help others and share my talents but I know that there has to be some way I can contribute. I have of course been praying about it.

I was talking to a man I met who belongs to Knights of Columbus. They do all sorts of things at our Parish and it seems that this organization has a real penchant for those in need. I just wonder if someone like myself would be a good fit for them so I thought I would ask if anyone here has belonged to this group and if so would it suit someone like me?

Another organization I heard about recently at our Parish was Stephan Ministries.
    https://www.stephenministries.org/default.cfm
    This one called out to me because I have been through quite a lot having a chronic illness which has completely changed my life. Also, I had quite a tough upbringing and thought that maybe I could help some younger people through my experiences.

At any rate, I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has any comments or other suggestions that I might consider. Thanks.

Byron, CathyG, AED and 1 other person like this.
  2. Frank Markus

Frank Markus Angels

I don't belong to the Knights but I heard great things about them.
    God bless,
    Frank

Carol55 and Don_D like this.
  3. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

My son is Deputy Grand Knight in our parish council. He works a lot of hours for his job, but he is flexible for attending meetings and sponsored events. I attended his induction recently and it was VERY reverent (a surprise, really, how reverent it was). In our parish, we have a monthly breakfast after two morning Masses on Sundays. Lots of folks attend and money is made for scholarships (free will donations). The men shop for, prepare and serve the breakfast. They clean up. They are wonderful. They have an omelet bar and a waffle machine. Rosaries said in public occasionally. Pro-Life Group is supported. Full meetings once a month.
    Look up Fr. Michael J. McGivney. I hope I spelled it correctly. He was the founder, and he is on the path to sainthood if I am not mistaken.
    Not a bad idea to consider joining this group, IMHO. Surely it is an antidote to Masonic groups.
    Wonderful that you are now in a position to consider what the Lord is calling you to do. Now hopefully, someone will weigh in on the other ministry you mentioned.

Don_D likes this.
  4. Mary's child

Mary's child Archangels

Don, though my parish is small our KOC group are wonderful. There are several of them with physical limitations but doesn't stop them in doing God's charitable works. With your enthusiasm for the faith you will be a great fit. :)

Don_D and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  5. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Don, I am a 3rd degree knight and past Grand Knight. It is a great organization. I would like to see it get back to what Father McGivney founded it for and that was to defend the Church and her teachings against the assaults Freemasonry. Today it is more connected to social justice causes and works of charity.

Byron and Don_D like this.
  6. Claves.Sancti.Petri

Claves.Sancti.Petri Principalities

Im a 1st degree but haven't approached it or gone into a new council.

Byron likes this.
  7. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Thank you for the information everyone. I will have to spend some more time researching these groups.

Stephen Ministries is the one which touches me after an initial look because of my experience with chronic illness over the course of my life. I know that I can offer support to others who are experiencing this and I hope give others some of the hope which has been given me.

Mary's child and Sam like this.