1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Communion on the tongue

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Torrentum, Apr 27, 2015.

?

How do you receive:

1. Hand

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Tongue

40 vote(s)
    88.9%
  1. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

I have read all sorts of things about the masons and their desire to extinguish the light of Christ in the world.
    I don't know what to make of these 33 edicts against the Church. Indeed as others have said, it is chilling how much has already been imposed on us.

Has anyone ever heard of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It was published back in the 1920s and apparently discussed in the House of Commons back then. It is a similar type of plan of attack on Christianity.

The one so called edict I would question is the one about Hosts being sent for use at black masses; because I have read that the 33rd degree (or whatever they call it) of masons have a red mass (equally satanic). It is purportedly conducted by the bishops who are in that secret society which has been condemned by Rome, and Catholics are not allowed to join. We know of course many do. Once again like the gays, who listens to the Pope. Or should I say who puts loyalty to God before loyalty to man these days.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. ComeSoon!

ComeSoon! Mercy & Discernment

I have found this a bit myself. I receive on the tongue when going to daily Mass (my preference) during my lunch at a different Parish but at my own, I find so few receive that way and being in the choir, one of the ladies has clearly seemed uncomfortable with giving it on my tongue.

3. Virtue

Virtue Angels

This is going to sound harsh, (but is not aimed at anyone in particular because I only skimmed the thread), but I think that if an extraordinary minister is unwilling to give Communion on the tongue, then they are unfit to be a minister of the Eucharist. This was the standard practice for centuries and is still preferred. So, if they are uncomfortable, they need to get over it. I am not going to compromise the way that I am best able to revere Christ because someone is squeamish. Unfortunately, I have encountered plenty of priests who are squeamish about it as well.

Light, AED, Booklady and 1 other person like this.
  4. ComeSoon!

ComeSoon! Mercy & Discernment

Frankly, I have to agree Virtue. The other factor is when possible, talk to the extraordinary minister.

Virtue and AED like this.
  5. lynnfiat

lynnfiat Fiat Voluntas Tua

6. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I was surprised to read what St. Cyril of Jerusalem (4th Century) said about the proper reception of Holy Communion http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04595b.htm:

The description of Mass speaks of the mystical washing of the priest's hands, the kiss of peace, the "Sursum Corda", etc., and the Preface with its mention of the angels, the Sanctus, the Epiclesis, the transmutation of the elements by the Holy Ghost, the prayer for the whole Church and for the spirits of the departed, followed by the Paternoster, which is briefly explained. Then come the "Sancta Sanctis" and the Communion. "Approaching do not come with thy palms stretched flat nor with fingers separated. But making thy left hand a seat for thy right, and hollowing thy palm, receive the Body of Christ, responding Amen. And having with care hallowed thine eyes by the touch of the Holy Body, take it, vigilant lest thou drop any of it. For shouldst thou lose any of it, it is as though thou wast deprived of a member of thy own body." "Then after Communion of the Body of Christ, approach the Chalice of His Blood, not extending thy hands, but bending low, and with adoration and reverence saying Amen, sanctify thyself by receiving also the Blood of Christ. And while thy lips are yet wet, touch them with thy hands, and sanctify thy eyes and thy forehead and thy other senses" (Cat. Myst., v, 22, 21-22). We are to make the sign of the cross when we eat and drink, sit, go to bed, get up, talk, walk, in short, in every action (Cat. iv, 14). Again: "if thou should be in foreign cities, do not simply ask where is the church (kyriakon), for the heresies of the impious try to call their caves kyriaka, nor simply where is the Church (ekklesia), but where is the Catholic Church, for this is the proper name of this holy Mother of all" (Cat. xviii, 26).​

My understanding of the above is that it isn't a whole lot different than the way Communion in the hand is received now. The difference seems to be that in St. Cyril's time the communicant touched the Sacred Host to their eyes before consuming it. By telling them to make their left hand a seat for their right, it appears that they actually received the host in their right hand (we receive in our left). I'm guessing that they didn't touch Christ's body with their left hand.

What they did after receiving the precious blood of Christ is also interesting. I wonder if it would be ok for us to do that.

Sam likes this.
  7. davidtlig

davidtlig Powers

This is interesting. I always receive on the tongue but this is the first time I have seen a very clear indication that the early Church didn't do it this way.

I wonder what Bishop Schneider's view of St Cyril's advice would be!

8. sunburst

sunburst Archangels

9. Dolours

Dolours Powers

It's the first I heard of it too, David, and I was very surprised to read it. Actually, I was more surprised to read that Catechumens didn't learn the Our Father until a short time before being received into the Church. Perhaps there was some variation in the custom from diocese to diocese. To this day, Catholics from the Eastern Rite Churches use what I think is called intinction (dipping the Sacred Host into the Chalice). Some Churches, perhaps Orthodox, are given the precious blood in what looks like a tiny ladle with a long handle. I'm sure that in the 4th century they didn't use hosts like we have.

No doubt there are other sources than the one in the video supporting the belief that Communion was never permitted. I would want a better source than the quote of St. Basil used in the video. To this day, it is not permitted for people to self-administer Holy Communion or any sacrament of the Church. Self-administration could be what St. Basil is describing when he talks about people keeping Communion in reserve either in the desert or in their homes and receiving by their own hand. I didn't see anything in the quotation from St. Basis where it says the Communicant is not permitted to touch the Sacred Host with his hand.

The New Advent site didn't quote the part about receiving when in sin but we don't know whether, if the quote is accurate, St. Cyril could have meant venial sins. New Advent is usually a very reliable source. I find it hard to believe that they would fail to mention that the authenticity of the work quoted is disputed by reliable sources. Perhaps there were other reliable sources which did consider it authentic or perhaps parts were authentic and parts not.