1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Communion on the tongue

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Torrentum, Apr 27, 2015.

?

How do you receive:

1. Hand

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Tongue

37 vote(s)
    88.1%
  1. Spirit of Truth

Spirit of Truth Archangels

It does not matter how you receive Him (tongue, hand): receive Him with a good contrite heart first.

God bless!

Sanctus likes this.
  2. Infant Jesus of Prague

Infant Jesus of Prague The More you Honor Me The More I will Bless Thee

The Church allows both ways, both must be in reverence!
    personally I receive on the tongue but most receive in the hand at Mass. 2 Churches I frequent have older priests and always make mention about their eye sight going. many times communion never made it on my tongue and ended up on the floor or I caught the Host.so with both of these priests, I receive in the hand....playin it safe

3. Spirit of Truth

For those of you that receive by hand fear not. Remember that the Mother of God held Jesus in Her hands when He was baby and when He died. To me this subject is rather trivial. One must get their house in order first.

If not done with a good heart then it is irrelevant.

God Bless!

PotatoSack and Bernadette like this.
  4. Clare A

Clare A Archangels

To me this is anything but trivial. I used to receive in the hand, and one day at a daily Mass, the priest gave me a piece of the broken large host. A particle fell off as it was put in my hand. After the Mass I went back over the carpet where the piece had fallen and couldn't find it. I felt horrible, really bad. Since then I have always received on the tongue.

In the book 'Get us Out Of Here' about Maria Simma, the alleged visionary with a mission to pray for the Holy Souls, a story is recounted of a woman who died and was later found to have blackened hands, which Maria attributed to receiving in the hand. I am aware that this is only a pious opinion and that Nicky Eck who wrote the book has his own agendas, but it sat uneasily with me. For those who receive in the hand, always check your palms for crumbs. Please.

Joe Crozier likes this.
  5. Spirit of Truth

I personally would receive our blessed Saviour on the tongue. However, I would not pass judgment on another's goodwill; heart. This would be rather mischevious of me. To reiterate: Received Him with a good contrite heart first: that is the right way. Then in one's own state of health -discernment- receive Him by tongue or hand.

As way of further enlightenment:

"And whilst they were at supper, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke: and gave to his disciples, and said: Take ye, and eat. This is my body."
    Matthew 26:26
    Douay-Rheims

God Bless!

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  6. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

When communion in the hand first began we were given precise instructions how to receive - humbly and carefully with one had cradling the other so we could adore and enthrone the Lord Jesus as we took Him to ourselves. We consume God and God consumes us. In the past, in discussions with an atheist friend I have noted that while atheistic Darwinianism preaches transmutation of the species we preach trans-substantiation of the species. What a difference. Whereas there is no real evidence for the missing link (that's why it's called missing) we evolve to be fit for heaven through our link with Jesus Christ in Holy Communion. Without this evolution we could not survive in heaven. We could not move on. "Unless you eat of the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood you cannot have life eternal in you," Communion produces transformation as opposed to transmutation. Mutation is always a downward step. In Communion we change from glory to glory, ever improved until we are raised up with Him and perfected in Christ. There is no real evidence for inter-specific evolution, although I think have seen it suggested in the bible. (I will try to find it) There is plenty of evidence for intra-specific evolution and the prime example of this is the transformative gift of God becoming man and lifting our species to heights unimaginable through His life, death and resurrection. In communion He takes us on this journey with Him as we enter into the mystery of love. We will always be human but our human nature will be transformed and glorified and so we will live forever in perfect happiness. St Padre Pio said that if we truly appreciated the value of suffering in this world we would gladly accept it. I am no saint so I am still not there but feel I am slowly progressing to to the points of acceptance and grateful acceptance. God stepped down to us to lift us up with Him. We should truly treasure this gift of Communion for it may not be so freely available to us in the near future as we encounter the calamities ahead. Many years ago when going through one of my darkest times I found myself in a small upper room of St Patrick's Soho square. To reach the room I had to pass a shrine to St Rita, the saint of hopeless cases. I had been drawn up to the room by what to me was the heavenly sound of singing in tongues. I had never heard anything like it before. Tears came to my eyes as the following words kept repeating in my heart "Oh Lord your love is eternal, discard not the work of your hands" That work was me. And he did not discard me. I have come a long way since then but have never forgotten that God loves the work of his hands - and now the hands of his workers. I am an osteopath and my hands are used each day to treat my patients. What a privilege. Sometimes in attending funerals of former patients I realize that I have had more physical contact with the departed than their closest relatives. Ours is a religion of the body - the Body of Christ with Him as our Head. We love our bodily relics of the saints and we celebrate the feast of Corpus Christi. I believe that in receiving Jesus reverently in the hands He is, indeed, in good hands.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2015
    Spirit of Truth likes this.
  7. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

Hi SoT Did you mean reiterate or irritate. Funny.

Julia and Spirit of Truth like this.
  8. Spirit of Truth

reiterate!

Should get my eyes tested. Sometimes google changes the words on me. Perhaps God was having a laugh at my expense. Great sense of humor you know, God.. he'd have to have, says you.. haha!

God bless!

Julia and Joe Crozier like this.
  9. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

Please excuse me for going off thread a bit but it is interesting to know that Darwin's great great great granddaughter has converted to Catholicism. She is a Ph.D and an apologist for our Faith.

Julia, Mac and Spirit of Truth like this.
  10. Spirit of Truth

Yes, I read that sometime ago. It is amazing how God works. I'm sure it doesn't go down too well with diehard atheistic evolutionists. God will have the last laugh as the saying goes.

My apologies too for going off subject.

11. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

I was an altar boy when I was six. During the distribition of Communion I used to follow the priest along the altar rail holding the paten under the chin of each kneeling recipient like a safety net. As the priest fed each communicant he would pray.
    "Corpus Domini nostri Jesu Christi custodiat animam tuam in vitam aeternam. Amen."
    In my old missal that belonged to my great uncle Willie, Joe or Eddy, two Jesuits and a Parish priest, that is translated as "May the body of Our Lord Jesus Christ preserve thy soul to life everlasting." The commentary in the margin says "This beautiful wish is one of infinite significance. It expresses the definitive and continuing effect of the Eucharist in our lives."
    I am not SSPX or anything like that but I still love this format.

Pray4peace and Julia like this.
  12. hope

hope Guest

I always felt receiving on the tongue was more reverent{ and would also stop a number of abuses}, but both ways are accepted by the church. It's the reverence with which it is received that matters. I was wondering how Jesus felt about this when I received this in my email a short while ago:

One time when St. Faustina received Holy Communion, a second Host fell into her hand.
    Jesus told her,
    "I desired to rest in your hands, not only in your heart." And at that moment I saw the little Jesus. But when the priest approached, I saw once again only the Host (Diary, 160).

13. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

I was also such an altar boy. And you would know then Joe that the communion plate would be catching quite a few particles by the end , at least if there were a couple hundred communicants.

14. Joe Crozier

Joe Crozier Guest

Absolutely. And they would be carefully wiped away. But I cannot actually remember seeing any particles. That would have disturbed me.

15. Mac

16. Infant Jesus of Prague

17. Mac

just the opposite actually . Very pro Pope.

18. Infant Jesus of Prague

once my fingers are burned, as the saying goes...he who plays with matches... gets???

19. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

At the time the practice of receiving Holy Communion in the hand arrived on the scene so to speak, we had a very holy parish Priest. He was a Canon R.I.P.

His sermon to us parishioners was that a Priest washes his hands at least 3 times before he gets to consecrating the Host. He asked us to be very aware of the physical aspect of receiving Holy Communion with purity and reverence, along with the spiritual aspect with purity and reverence (confession).

And fair play to him, he asked us to be aware that especially children are apt to have their hands in all sorts of places not mentionable from the Altar. In a nutshell, he advised us it was permitted to receive by hand or on the tongue. But he recommended we continue to receive on the tongue and encourage our children to do the same.

This is how I have continued to this day to the best of my ability.

Pray4peace and Joe Crozier like this.
  20. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

Oh my !
    I don't know where that beautiful picture came from that has appeared by my post. But, I love it.