1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Communion on the tongue

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Torrentum, Apr 27, 2015.

?

How do you receive:

1. Hand

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Tongue

37 vote(s)
    88.1%
  1. Torrentum

Torrentum Guest

Just out of interest, do you receive in the hand or on the tongue?
    If you receive on the hand, what is the reason for you choosing that method of reception?

2. Torrentum

Torrentum Guest

I'll get the ball rolling; I receive on the tongue.

3. little me

little me Archangels

On the tongue here. Was taught by my mother as a child and then read the indult as a young adult and understood why my mother forbade us.

Jeanne likes this.
  4. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

I receive in the hand simply because when I was taught for my first communion I was told I could receive on the tongue or in the hand. I chose the hand because I was nervous that it would fall from my mouth and end up on the floor and as someone in 1st grade that would have been very embarrassing. My memory is very foggy if my church ever had someone with a plate under your chin like you see in pictures. I think maybe sometimes they did but usually not. So I just received in the hand simply because I was more confident it would be consumed without falling. I have done it that way ever since. I have always understood it to be as valid a way to receive as on the tongue and don't think about it too often. I suppose some here would disagree with that, but it is just something I do not get hung up on.

Patty and Torrentum like this.
  5. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

Its really not a big deal in the hand. But it really depends on individual.

If people were more reverent and not walking away while taking Our Lord. Then I would be more accepting of hand Eucharist.

Also, the stealing of hosts is more accessible with the hand.

Brother al

6. Torrentum

Torrentum Guest

I was taught to receive on the hand in first communication formation.
    The parents were unhappy with that and after my first communion instructed me to change.

Of course both ways are valid, hand or tongue. But what amazes me is, whenever I watch coverage of an event on the Vatican, they insist on tongue reception over there. Sometimes even rebuking those who receive on the hand. I think someone mentioned that in a thread on this forum before also.

7. Adoremus

Adoremus Archangels

It's funny, I just had this very discussion in the car on the way to school with my son and my nieces, since one of them is making her first Holy Communion on Saturday.

I was also taught to receive communion on the hand but began to receive on the tongue after it was pointed out to me that often particles of the host remain on your palm even after you have consumed it, and unless you gather these up and eat them as well then you are letting tiny pieces of the host just fall to the floor or wherever. I've seen more hosts get dropped from the hand than from the tongue, in fact I saw this happen just yesterday. To me, reception on the tongue is just more reverent and I've taught my son to receive this way also and he's happy to do so.

8. Torrentum

Torrentum Guest

It's a very personal choice. And I understand people reasons for hand or tongue reception.
    However my main reason for starting this thread was to see the poll results.
    They are pretty much as I expected they would be.

fallen saint likes this.
  9. MMM

MMM Guest

Our church has begun offering the body dipped in the blood during most masses. Obviously tongue is only option this way but in hand without is option too. It began during weekday only masses now appears they are doing all the time.

Julia and Infant Jesus of Prague like this.
  10. Torrentum

Torrentum Guest

I've seen that on TV but never experienced it. Seems nice.

11. Carmel333

Carmel333 Archangels

Last weekend we had several First Communions and I was sitting in the front handicap pew because of my surgery so was able to see them. I watched 2 persons (adults) receive on the hand and drop the host on the marble floor as they were walking away trying to get it in their mouths. They did pick it up, but I'm sure fragments were trampled on the floor. I stopped watching at that point...

12. Andy3

Andy3 Powers Staff Member

It depends for me. If I am in the communion line and a priest is administering it, I usually take it on the tongue because he is well trained to deliver that way. For all others, I take in the hand because most seem very uncomfortable this way and whenever I have tried, they touch my tongue with their fingers, or almost drop it, or I almost drop it, etc.

13. Infant Jesus of Prague

Infant Jesus of Prague The More you Honor Me The More I will Bless Thee

This form of communion is called Intinction. IN-TINC-TION ...The norm in Byzintine Rite Churchs/ also Eastern Orthodox...

http://www.therealpresence.org/cgi-bin/getdefinition.pl

INTINCTION. The liturgical practice of dipping the consecrated Host into the consecrated wine in giving Holy Communion. Its use was already established by the time of Dionysius of Alexandria (d. 264). In time it became a regular method both in the East and the West. In the East, the intinction was (and is) done by means of the communion spoon (labis). An alternate form of intinction is described in the Ordines Romani (sixth century) and since discontinued. The consecrated Host would be dipped into unconsecrated wine. Intinction had long disappeared in the West, and has been revived since the Second Vatican Council (1969).

Modern Catholic Dictionary
    by Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J.

Copyright © 1999 by Inter Mirifica

Used with permission from Eternal Life

14. bflocatholic

bflocatholic Powers

I agree with Andy3 -- whenever I receive from a Priest or Deacon, I receive on the tongue. I stopped trying to receive on the tongue from lay ministers, because most get a panicked look in their eyes when I try to do so! The good news is that either way is appropriate.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  15. Adoremus

Adoremus Archangels

I thought only priests were allowed to receive Communion that way? I'm fairly sure that is the case, anyway.

16. Adoremus

Adoremus Archangels

Just quickly read up on this, I see that intinction is acceptable when performed by the priest, but self-intinction (dipping the host in the sacred blood yourself) is strictly forbidden.

17. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

Andy,
    Its funny lay ministers have a hard time...one lady just tosses Jesus in my mouth. Another one pokes it in...its a strange thing, we want more reverence and we have to deal with those things. But overall at least they are trying :)

Brother al

18. MMM

MMM Guest

Now that you mention it, I do recall only the 2 priests administering this way. The regular communion servers do not come up any longer. Perhaps when only one priest is performing the mass (or available) they only administer the body. Will have to ask about this or at least take note. I have been receiving body and blood this way for weeks now and about 1/4 -1/3 of the time the past year. Seems it's all the time now. From Belleville, Ontario, Canada

19. Malachi

Malachi Archangels

Contrary to positions outlined above it does indeed matter the manner in which we receive the Eucharist. Whilst one can receive on the hand with love and devotion the very form itself betokens the manner of receiving common bread and readily facilitates further abuses. The external form of receiving kneeling and on the tongue of itself, aside from internal spiritual attitudes and dispositions, most fittingly expresses reverence and adoration before this awesome sacrament. It needs further to be noted that the abuse of receiving in the hand was introduced during the reformation era in order to express rejection of the Church's eucharistic doctrine. Note to in this awful era the replacing of altars with mere tables in order to further undermine the Church's teaching on the Sacrificial nature of the Mass. During Vatican II such uncatholic practices and abuses reared their ugly head again and despite Pope Paul's best efforts (Encyclical Mysterium Fidei-Instruction Memoriale Domini-must reads) gained momentum giving rise to the phenomenon of legalised abuse. There is so much more I can say but I will leave it at that. I have just finished a series of lectures related to this very issue and many of you may find Archbishop Athanasius Schneider's work Dominus Est helpful.

little me and Torrentum like this.
  20. Patty

Patty Angels

When I was young we knelt at the altar rail to receive on the tongue and it seemed natural. Standing to receive I always felt the host would fall out of my mouth onto the floor. I feel more comfortable receiving in my hand because of that.