1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas morning breakfast

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by PotatoSack, Dec 7, 2016.

1. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

What are you guys eating? Do you have any family traditions? Or is it all about Christmas dinner?

Carol55 likes this.
  2. Mario

Mario Powers

Believe it or not, on Christmas Eve my family enjoys Chinese takeout. Earlier in our marriage, Geralyn was exhausted with Christmas prep and so I went out and bought some Chinese dinners on Christmas Eve. We have done so ever since, and the homecoming kids love it!:D

Safe in the Grace of the Holy Infant!

Beth B, Carol55 and PotatoSack like this.
  3. PotatoSack

PotatoSack Powers

That is a great Tradition! although, if I ate a lot of Chinese food, I might not make it through midnight mass!

Carol55, Beth B and Mario like this.
  4. CathyG

CathyG Principalities

Our traditional Christmas morning brunch consists of a creme brulee french toast casserole; sausage, egg and cheese casserole; candied bacon; fruit salad and mimosas. My boys love it and won't let me deviate from the menu. The best part is the casseroles can be prepped the day before and popped in the oven in the morning.

Beth B, Jeanne, Sam and 3 others like this.
  5. Rain

Rain Archangels

Chinese for Christmas . . . Mario, you know somebody had to post this video.

6. Rain

Rain Archangels

No breakfast traditions at our house. From childhood, I think this stemmed from the fact that we had so many relatives to visit, mornings were a scramble to get going. Even today, it's all about the dinner.

Carol55 and PotatoSack like this.
  7. Elisa

Elisa Archangels

And who of us spends Christmas eating alone ?

Beth B, Carol55 and Carmel333 like this.
  8. Harper

Harper Guest

Pancakes! Blueberry or pumpkin pancakes with syrup or pumpkin butter. And lots and lots of coffee:)

PotatoSack and Carol55 like this.
  9. Carmel333

Carmel333 Archangels

I'm alone now. I follow my parents tradition of Oyster Stew. I usually start on Christmas Eve by going to early evening Mass, come home and light a fire in the fireplace, and heat up the stew which I eat with Christmas Cookies. I actually love this time of my life where I am alone at Christmas, as it has become so very devotional for me. Lately I've been also watching the movie "The Nativity" which I love. Christmas day afternoon I usually have a big dinner with my friends at their home. The only really hard part is going to Mass alone when all the families and children are there together, and I really miss my family and childhood.

Sam, PotatoSack, Carol55 and 2 others like this.
  10. Denise P

Denise P Principalities

I grew up in south Louisiana-- right on the West Bank of the Mississippi River. Soon after Thanksgiving the teenage boys in our huge family ( I have 76 cousins on my mom's side) would begin to build an elaborate bonfire on the top of the levee as would other families in the community. On Christmas Eve we would gather at sunset at a family members home (we took turns) and ate a traditional meal of seafood gumbo and potato salad. When it got dark the bonfires would be lit all along the river to New Orleans to light the way for Papa Noel. We lit fireworks and sparklers and drank hot chocolate. The year we turned 7 was the year we would be considered old enough to attend Midnight Mass-- and those making their first communion would dress as angels for the nativity scene.

On Christmas morning I have always made for my family -- orange cinnamon rolls in the shape of a Christmas tree, with red and green marchiano cherries for the ornaments.

Jeanne, Sam, PotatoSack and 2 others like this.
  11. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

Wonderful thread. When my children were little we had a tradition of feeding the Santa's reindeer special oatmeal, we would sprinkle it our front lawn on Christmas Eve. As far as breakfast and dinner goes there is no set tradition but we put more emphasis on dinner and decide together what it will consist of so everyone enjoys it.

This thread is making me hungry with all of the wonderful foods you all prepare, I would love a sample of everything! I also have a fond memory of my daughter dressed as an angel for the nativity one year.

Sam, Denise P and PotatoSack like this.
  12. Mario

Mario Powers

:LOL::LOL: You are to much, Deanna, too much! Wait to Geralyn sees this! We'll be laughing all through dinner!:giggle::giggle:

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

Carol55 likes this.
  13. FatimaPilgrim

FatimaPilgrim Powers

"It's smiling at me" lol, I can't watch that movie enough and I laugh till I cry each year

We go see if the reindeer cleaned up all their oatmeal from the porch, those goofballs always spill it everywhere and make a mess :)

Hot fresh cinnamon rolls for a break halfway through the opening of the gifts and then I spin up brunch for everyone when we're done, scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon, my special hash browns scattered/smothered/covered, english muffins

14. soldier of christ

soldier of christ Principalities

I am from upstate NY, and my daughter is a pastry chef, and she had someone ask her if she has ever made this "English Biscuit" for anyone before. She described it. You use a cupcake pan and put in each cup a dough that has raisins and such. She says it is very popular in England. Can anybody help??? I was thinking of trying it for Christmas morning.

PotatoSack, Carol55 and JAK like this.
  15. JAK

JAK Principalities

Soldier, do you mean a scone?

Carol55 likes this.
  16. soldier of christ

soldier of christ Principalities

I love scones...but no it wasn't a scone, she was describing something more like a muffin type. She said it was becoming popular in Canada, but was starting to lose that original "English" touch.

Carol55 likes this.
  17. Bella

Bella Archangels

We get up around 10 ( we get home from Midnight Mass around 2am. After Mass the parish all have minced pies and mulled wine together ) and I usually squeeze lots of oranges and grapefruits to make fresh juice and then scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and Hollandaise sauce.. I love hearing what everyone else does.

We watch The Queen's speech at 3pm and then have Christmas Dinner. The sun is usually setting and by the time the Christmas pudding comes out it is dark. I heat up a ladle full of Brandy until the blue flame appears and then pour it over the pudding. With the lights off it looks stunning in the dark.
    upload_2016-12-7_20-33-55.jpeg

We always go to Mass for the feast of St Stephen and then go and see the local hunt set off for the Boxing Day hunt.

18. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

I pray nobody!

19. Timothius722

Timothius722 Archangels

At the in laws house its fried pork lion, eggs cooked with bacon grease, biscuits, gravy and fried potatoes with onions. Apricot and strawberry jams and jelly and lots of butter. Man its good eatin !

PotatoSack, Beth B and Carol55 like this.
  20. Adoremus

Adoremus Archangels

Flaming plum pudding has always been a tradition in our house too, a nice dramatic way to finish Christmas dinner!

In our house the focus has always been on the dinner so breakfast was always a non-event. This year we're having dinner at my sister's so I think I'll put some effort into breakfast... planning on making pancakes, sausages, crispy rashers, maple syrup, washed down with plenty of coffee of course.

PotatoSack, Carol55 and Bella like this.