ChristMas Greetings of the Holy Father to the Roman Curia:

Discussion in 'Church Critique' started by Xavier, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Xavier

Xavier "In the end, My Immaculate Heart will Triumph."

"Dear brothers and sisters,

I offer all of you a cordial welcome. I express my gratitude to Cardinal Angelo Sodano for his kind words and in a particular way I thank him, also in the name of the members of the College of Cardinals, for the valued service he has long provided as Dean, in a spirit of helpfulness, dedication and efficiency, and with great skill in organization and coordination. In the manner of “la rassa nostrana”, as the Piedmontese writer Nino Costa would say. Now the Cardinal Bishops have to elect a new dean. I am hoping they will elect someone who can carry this important responsibility full time. Thank you.

To each of you here, to your co-workers and all those who serve in the Curia, but also to the Papal Representatives and their staff, I extend my best wishes for a holy and joyful Christmas. And I add my appreciation for the dedication that you bring daily to your service of the Church. Thank you very much.

Once again this year, the Lord gives us the opportunity to gather for this moment of fellowship which strengthens our fraternity and is grounded in our contemplation of God’s love revealed at Christmas. A contemporary mystic has written that “the birth of Christ is the greatest and most eloquent witness of how much God loved man. He loved him with a personal love. That is why he took a human body, united it to himself and made it his own forever. The birth of Christ is itself a ‘covenant of love’, sealed for all time between God and man”.[1] As Saint Clement of Alexandria writes, “Christ came down and assumed our humanity, willingly sharing in our human sufferings, for this reason: so that, having experienced the frailty of those whom he loves, he could then make us experience his great power”.[2]

In the light of this boundless benevolence and love, our exchange of Christmas greetings is yet another chance to respond to Christ’s new commandment: “Even as I have loved you, you must also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another” (Jn 13:34-35). Jesus does not ask us to love him in response to his love for us; rather, he asks us to love one another as he does. In other words, he asks us to become like him, since he became like us. As Saint John Henry Newman prayed: “May each Christmas, as it comes, find us more and more like Him, who at this time became a little child for our sake, more simple-minded, more humble, more holy, more affectionate, more resigned, more happy, more full of God”.[3] And he went on to say: “[Christmas] is a time for innocence, and purity, and gentleness, and mildness, and contentment, and peace”[4]. "

Full Address at: http://w2.vatican.va/content/france...nts/papa-francesco_20191221_curia-romana.html

2. Xavier

Xavier "In the end, My Immaculate Heart will Triumph."

Thoughts on the letter? Pope Francis says some good things amid some confusing things. Later on, he speaks of "new evangelization." And unfortunately things like, "Christendom no longer exists! Today we are no longer the only ones who create culture, nor are we in the forefront or those most listened to". The Church should always be creating and forming the culture; that's part of catechesis of Catholics, which comes even before evangelization of non-Catholics. Sadly, some churchmen have given up both.

Truly Catholic Churchmen should work both at forming Catholics to form the culture; and, to evangelize cultures that have become "post-Christian" with a new Christian Spirit.