1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardinal Burke calls resignation of Benedict XVI into question

Discussion in 'Church Critique' started by Blizzard, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

2. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

Just a word of caution for those who may be unaware, Louis Verecchio the author of the first article, very vocally refuses to accept Pope Francis as a valid Pope. He has for quite a while now. While I agree with many points he writes about and he is an educated man, he is in serious error in overstepping his authority on this point.

Secondly the "conclusions" Mr. Verrechio draws about Cardinal Burke's inner thoughts and motivations seem totally wrong to me. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think Cardinal Burke was sending us "smoke signals" and I think it is equally wrong for Mr. Verrechio to imply that is what he was doing. Mr Verrechio is simply reading what he wishes to see into what Cardinal Burke stated.

Carol55 likes this.
  3. I hope Cardinal Burke doesn't think this, it'll make him look like he's wrong about the other stuff.

4. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

I questioned the timing of Cardinal Burke's statements in this regard but we need to remember that he is being asked a question here and this was his reply not something that he just blurted out at the moment. I hate to say that he was being led but in a way he was. The point I think he was trying to make is that although a Pope may not be able to travel and keep a hectic schedule due to his age or health, a contemplative and prayerful life for a Pope is something that should be esteemed by the Pope and by people in general, especially by a highly respected theologian like Pope Benedict. I think that his statement was meant as a complement to Pope Benedict, nothing more. Just my opinion.

Booklady and Praetorian like this.
  5. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

That was essentially my take as well. A compliment and perhaps a wish that he hadn't resigned.

Carol55 likes this.