1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Candlemas 2 Feb

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Adoremus, Feb 1, 2018.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

Jewish Converts often comment on how Jewish they find the Catholic Church. Candles are very much part of this.

The use of candles in Worship is very, very ancient

Don_D likes this.
  2. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Yes, it makes perfect sense.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  3. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Don
    I know of a couple of websites where you can give a donation for Blessed objects
    And I think candles are included
    I have used both places
    Walkingword.net
    And cukierski.net

Don_D and AED like this.
  4. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Thank you!

5. padraig

padraig New Member

It's funny how scripture can sometimes come alive for us. It came alive for me in the Gospel for the Presentation concerning the Prophetess Anna daughter of Phanuel.

The Gospel mentions Anna was 84 years old at the time and I was interested they gave such an exact age for the lady. Then I wondered how they knew 84 exactly? It also mentioned her in Temple telling everyone about the baby Jesus ,so I take it she was a woman of quite considerable eminence not only for the Jews but for the Early Church. That she was someone people people paid considerable attention to in life and after she died. Someone you could listen to and believe. I think maybe it must have been her grandchildren passed on her age to the Gospel writer after her death.

I would love to have met her ;she must have had the most extraordinary personality. Formidable.

AED and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

Yet Anna is often sidelined later by Simeon, but if you look at the actual Gospel Anna has a big, big place in things.

AED and Don_D like this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

[​IMG]

8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Love this!
    My maternal grandfather’s name was Simeon
    And they named their first child Anna
    Gorgeous picture
    But I think that video was the circumcision and not the Presentation also known as purification I think
    So I think this might be incorrect
    In the movie

sterph and Don_D like this.
  9. Don_D

Don_D Powers

What an incredible movie. I bought it and have watched it many many times now. I would heartily recommend it to anyone who has not seen it.

10. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

Went to my first actual Candlemas at my new parish the other night - beautiful! Previous parishes I’ve been to would never light candles (too dangerous, apparently). Lots of kids holding candles late at night, complete with a procession, and no one caught fire. My kids loved it!

Don_D, AED and padraig like this.
  11. padraig

padraig New Member

AED and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  12. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Our Parish had a procession at the Friday morning Mass. All the kids from the school came with candles in hand and were followed in by the adults. It was so beautiful and Friday morning Mass is always my favorite Mass during the week because Father will speak with the kids and ask them questions about the Gospel reading for that day. Some of the answers he receives are priceless and he has such a great way with the kids. It is sometimes very hard to contain ones self in the sanctuary because of this.

DivineMercy likes this.
  13. Dolours

Dolours Powers

In our church they put out a box of candles for people to take and left a box for donations alongside it. I like that system. In some churches people bring their own candles or buy them in the church porch before Mass and the blessing.

I think that the old Christmas tradition is that if you haven't taken down your decorations at the feast of the epiphany, you shouldn't take them down until Candlemas day.

There was a big crowd at our Mass on the feast of St. Blaise. There usually is for the blessing of the throats.

14. padraig

padraig New Member

I am always surprised how many People in Ireland have a Great Devotion to the Blessing of St Blaise, especially in some rural areas. In County Fermanagh when I was there I always surprised that the Church was always quite packed for this Blessing. I always pay attention to these things as if generations of Catholics have Devotion to these Devotions well...you can be sure they work.

HeavenlyHosts and Dolours like this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

I have started going down to one o'clock mass in St Patrick's. They have a Great Devotion to St Anthony of Padua there and a Grotto and first class Relic and Perpetual Novena on Tuesdays and Blessing.

I had not got a very strong Devotion, but a few times near the Grotto (and once or twice not so near) I have smelt this wonderful overwhelming perfume. I took this as a little nudge to 'Pay attention', so now I do try to be more Devout about St Anthony (it is not so hard he was a wonderful saint) .

But if we find a particular Devotion to a Particular Saint or Marian Devotion in a Church we are visiting. I think it is good to pay attention to this. It is there for a reason and we should be paying attention.

It is there for a reason.