1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Baptism of the unborn

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Border collie, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

This topic may have already been discussed on here but I can't find a link to it anywhere.

What are your views on the baptism of the unborn/aborted babies?
    I was given a baptism prayer on it some years ago and the first night I said and did it, I was given an image in my mind of Our Lady seated with lots of little children running around her and climbing up on her.. I've continued to say it almost every night since..

Somebody recently however told me that I shouldn't be baptising or saying this prayer. Basically it consists of shaking holy water, reciting the creed, the naming of children to be baptised, shaking holy water for boys and girls and ending with the Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be.

God Bless
    Border Collie

Larry Wethington likes this.
  2. Rain

Rain Archangels

I'm not clear on the mechanics of what you're doing, but I'm under the impression that you're attempting to baptize unborn and aborted babies from afar. The sacrament doesn't work that way. The baptisms you've done aren't valid.

During baptism a baby must be sprinkled, poured, or immersed in water. Amniotic fluid doesn't count. Without water, there's no baptism.

Also, the one baptizing must say: "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." Little deviation is allowed. You can pray a million Our Fathers, Hail Mary's, and Glory Be's, but no baptism will take place without those specific words.

Anyone can perform a baptism, but if you're not a priest, bishop or deacon, you should do so only under extreme circumstances. I'd say a dying baby or one under threat of death is an extreme circumstance. Unless you work in a hospital though, I can't imagine that you'd be in the position to baptize a baby caught in such a position.

If you're performing valid baptisms on children who aren't likely to die, without their parents' consent, that's a whole other ball of wax, and I think it's a bad idea.

3. Thank you Rain for your reply.

Part of the prayer does consist in saying: "I baptise you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." Also it does consist of baptising from afar ie my bedroom..
    It is specifically for babies who are either born dead or aborted.

I suppose the one good thing in this is that my room or wherever I happen to be at the time gets sprinkled with holy water every night.

God Bless
    BC

4. MomsCalling

MomsCalling Principalities

Baptism of Desire is very real. It is ok to do this, a person or baby need not be physically immersed or sprinkled with water. Yes, this has been talked about in other threads. Now, baptising people who would not necessarily want to be, who can and did already decide for themselves at their moment of death, something that has actually been in the news lately, that is an abomination of this act. BUT, there are very valid and I believe, grace-giving baptisms of desire that are performed. It is interesting to think if we can do this, but is it necessary? These little souls should be in heaven already. Personally, I do not think that just anyone should be baptising random souls out there. I think this may be an abomination of the act. But if you yourself had a baby who died, miscarried or aborted, then you can go to a priest and act on their behalf as you would if they had lived, and some priests will perform a baptism of desire with you for the little one, thus giving graces to you and your child. Giving the child a name and acknowledging its soul in heaven through a priest is a great thing. I know many stories of this and also of lovely messages in dreams or signs given to tell the persons that they did a good thing.

5. Larry Wethington

Larry Wethington New Member

6. Larry Wethington

Larry Wethington New Member

REGARDING YOUR PRAYING FOR THE UNBORN CHILDREN, IT IS CERTAINLY A GOOD THING. TRUE, YOU CAN'T POUR THE WATER Over their head in these circumstances, but God, who is all powerful can act outside His own laws, according to the teaching of St. Thomas regarding baptism of desire for instance, and these are certainly not normal circumstances where a baby is being killed by a doctor and you can't even get close to it.If it is not true, you will still gain the merit of your prayer of charity and the good work. If it is true, you may help thousands of babies get to heaven throughout your life. And what have you got to lose if you do it? Absolutely nothing! It doesn't matter who says it's not a valid sacrament. No one can prove by their arguments that you aren't doing any good.

We can argue what the Church teaches in the natural order, and we should, but in circumstances outside of that, the Church has not made any formal declaration. They do say if a child dies without baptism it goes to limbo. This is part of our faith. If an unborn child dies without purification, it goes to limbo, but that is much better than being born, losing its soul, and burning in hell for all eternity like so many do. Abortion is an incomprehensible evil, and parents who have done this and die unrepentant go to hell forever, but the little children, whatever happens to them are saved from this. God does bring good even out of this evil for the little children. I sometimes wonder if God purifies the little ones who would have accepted him and takes them to heaven, and the ones who wouldn't have, he has mercy on them by allowing them to go to limbo rather than being lost forever. God is good.

Regarding the parents who have made this terrible mistake, God is always willing to forgive those who ask him. And who knows, perhaps when they get to heaven, hopefully, they will see the little soul they aborted in heaven due to someone else's prayers like yours. Then, not only the babies will thank you but also the parents who turned back to God. beautiful ending, God willing.

I would certainly encourage you to keep it up. You have nothing to lose, and maybe, thousands of babies will be saved through your prayers. I would also encourage all who read this to do the same. You won't lose anything by your prayers and charity, but if it 's true and you don't do it, many little unborn children may never make it to heaven. Because the Blessed Mother said at Fatima, ''Many souls go to hell because they have no one to pray and sacrifice for them.'' Prayer and sacrifice saves souls. God bless to all those who read this. Let us pray for one another.
    Larry Wethington

Border collie likes this.
  7. Ana Kowalski

Ana Kowalski New Member

The baptism of the unborn is acceptable as it does not contradict our catholic faith. Several of our greatest and trusted saints have declared the existance of a special place (not heaven) such is the case of St. Faustina Kowalska, Ann Catherine Emerick, Maria Simma, etc... who have described the state of the departed babies and children who left this world without the sacrament of baptism and the place where they remain is not heaven, Not hell, and not purgatory. Rather, as Maria Simma described it, when asked about babies without baptism: (Question)?Do aborted and stillborn babies go to heaven? (Answer): "Yes, but first they go to a temporary children’s heaven of sorts since they were not baptized. The babies are so happy there that they do not even realize they are not in heaven. It is only in the real heaven in which we behold the Beatific Vision". ?Can a parent expedite the transition of that baby into heaven? Yes, have a Mass said for the baby. Simma also recommends naming the child and accepting the child into one’s family, and of course, asking the child for forgiveness in cases of abortion. The souls from purgatory also told Simma that although a mother will see her aborted child in heaven, she will also “see in Heaven the spot where her child should have been after having lived a full life, but that spot will then be empty.”
    "St. Faustina also described her vision of limbo for a certain child and so did Catherine Emerick; she prayed for a child who died without baptism, he was able to go to heaven subsequently. Thus, I do believe that prayer is a valid form of moving an unbaptized soul of a baby to paradise. As Maria Simma describes in her writtings a Mass for the unborn is enough to move him to heaven.
    Dear friend, I believe that that your prayer for the unborn made our Lady very happy; thus she manifested herself to you! Keep up the good work!

Mario likes this.
  8. Mario

Mario Powers

Ana,

My wonderful wife, Geralyn, and I, have done something similar for our two miscarried children, Nathan and Elizabeth. Not only have we named them after asking God to reveal their sex, but we had a Holy Mass celebrated for each of them. God bless you.

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

9. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Archangels

Mario
    Thank you for sharing this
    I lost a baby to miscarriage years ago
    The nurse told me to sprinkle water and say the words of baptism which I did

She was a Catholic nurse who had done the same for her miscarriages
    Over the years I have come to understand that my child was a girl and her name is Angelina
    I will have a Mass said
    Thank you again

SgCatholic and Mario like this.