An Idea for an Apostolate

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Richard67, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Richard67

Richard67 Powers

An idea has been growing on my mind for some time during prayer, and I thought I'd share it here. I'm not sure a new "apostolate" is the correct technical term for this idea, but here it is. It presented itself as a question in my mind: how best should we take Christ to each and every person we meet in our daily lives and the world? In thinking about this question, an idea came to my mind: what if each and every lay Catholic became a Eucharistic minister, not in the traditional sense of bringing Holy Communion to the elderly and sick, but rather what if each Catholic had a pyx with the Eucharist on his/her person, 24/7? To my mind, this would literally be the fulfillment of taking Christ into the world day to day, whether it be to work or during the course of our daily routine. St. Tarcisius comes to mind. The objection was also raised in my mind that in these circumnstances, the Eucharist might be subject to abuse. This is a valid point, but the counter argument coud be made that the good that would undoubtedly come from such an apostolate, would surely outweigh any possibility of abuse. Anyway, just felt compelled to share this idea.

2. Adoremus

Adoremus Powers

While there is definitely something attractive about this idea, I think in practice it would surely expose the Eucharist to potential abuse, as you say. Instead, why not adopt the practice, or attitude, of receiving the Eucharist daily with the intention or disposition of becoming a "living monstrance", bringing our Eucharistic Lord to the world through our very bodies? I have read that this is the attitude we should try to adopt, but I can't recall who it was that said it.

gracia, josephite and Light like this.
  3. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

I think this is the scariest idea I have ever heard. :eek:
    The idea of giving the Holy Eucharist to all Catholics to carry around daily would lead to so much abuse it is horrifying. I don't think most Catholics even believe in the Real Presence, much less show the Eucharist any kind of reverence. This would not increase reverence, but decrease what little is left. Our Savior would cease to be adored and would become just another thing in our pocket. I know your heart is in the right place, but exposing Our Lord to any sacrilege isn't worth any good that might come of it.

gracia, josephite and sunburst like this.
  4. sunburst

sunburst Powers

Hi Richard,
    I receive Holy Communion on the tongue and only from a priest because of what I know about the history of how Communion in the hand came about. I could never even consider carrying Our Lord in my pocket. When the angel of Fatima gave us the prayers about the Eucharist I do believe that they were meant for our times. I do think Adoremus is correct in how we should bring Our Lord to others. God Bless

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=8616

Oh Most Holy Trinity,
    Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
    I adore Thee profoundly.
    I offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity
    of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the world,
    in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges and
    indifferences by which He is offended.
    By the infinite merits of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
    and the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
    I beg the conversion of poor sinners.

http://www.fatimacrusader.com/cr116/4-10.pdf

josephite likes this.
  5. Ed Kleese

Ed Kleese Servant

+
    Hello My Brother,

Whenever we Catholics received the Eucharist, we used to hear the words (in Latin) of St. Augustine, "Receive of who you are, become what you have received." We are to become the Eucharist to our Brothers and Sisters everywhere. We become Christ, to offer Christ, to Christ.

Peace,
    Ed

6. Light

Light Guest

I truly believe that the greatest sin to our Eucharistic Lord is committed by the Church itself.

The reality of the Real Presence is being continually diluted by church practices:

Who is going to get his faith strengthened by:

(a) finding the Blessed Sacrament exposed and unadored.
    (b) being obliged to wait until the last person has received the Lord, before kneeling.
    (c) the sign of peace (its become a circus)
    (d) watching extradordinary ministers dispense Holy Communion while a priest or Deacon remain seated
    (e) lay persons bringing up the"gifts" to the priest at Mass (Are the sacred vessels less sacred than those in the Bible?)
    (f) lack of genuflection (a bow or nod will do).
    (h) no correction (apparently) given to those who give big smiles, fist pumps.. etc. on the way back from receiving the Lord

If I TRULY believe that HE is there, I will come before Him at every chance I get.

Yes our Church is indeed preaching by example!

God Bless

gracia, Byron, Dolours and 1 other person like this.
  7. Daniel O'Connor

Daniel O'Connor Principalities

I'd say a beautiful idea, but calling for a slight modification. For this is what Our Lady did in the Visitation (which, as Pope Benedict said, was truly the first Eucharistic Procession), as well as what St. Anthony Mary Claret did his whole life in praying for the Eucharistic species to be miraculously preserved within him from one Communion to the next.

This is essentially the mission of the Divine Will Missionaries of Mercy (wwwDWMoM.org), albeit without the physical pyx and Eucharist within it

Mario likes this.
  8. Mario

Mario Powers

Richard,

A former spiritual director of mine had a similar idea, but with an opposite twist. He asked me to consider how I treat those who have just received the Lord in Holy Communion for they have become a tabernacle of His Presence? Do I treat them with loving patience, with gentleness, and with preferential respect. And even after the Real Presence remains no more, do I take that initial awareness and practice it throughout the day, for the Holy Spirit indwells and sanctifies all who are in a state of grace. Both reality and attitude can thus help to amplify what John called us to in his first epistle:

1John 2:9 The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now. 10 The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him.

I try to keep these verses in mind, for it makes no sense for me to extol the marvelous gift of Jesus in the Eucharist while at the same time maligning and thinking unkindly of another who has just received Holy Communion.:oops:

Safe in the Refuge of the Immaculate Heart!

josephite likes this.
  9. David Healy

David Healy St Pio Son

Hi Richard. Supposing in your vision, a lay Catholic was to have the Eucharistic Lord on his/her person throughout the day to 'bring Christ' to others; how would they in practice achieve this? What would they actually 'do' with the Lord in the Eucharist besides having it on their person? How would the fact of having the Blessed Sacrament on their person bring Christ to people if those people were unaware of the fact?

fallen saint likes this.
  10. David Healy

David Healy St Pio Son

Hi Richard. Perhaps in considering a direction for any apostolate you might look into doing catechesis on the Real Presence of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Many many people, even sadly very many Catholics don't believe in the real presence of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Our Lord did say that His people perished for want of knowledge. Would you be open to this as an idea? Encouraging devotion to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament?

Also you could set up Eucharistic Adoration in a church. The world has such a need for this now more than ever before.

God bless.

SgCatholic likes this.
  11. padraig

padraig Powers

I think Our Lord remains in us for all for different lengths of time after we receive Holy Communion. I remember one day leaving mass early in a rush and being distracted and my angle guardian reminded me that the Eucharistic Lord was still present and that I should be conscious of that fact.

I think it would be good to forward Respect for the Eucharist. I am afraid carry it around constantly would not foster this respect. We find it hard enough to show sufficient respect as it is.

gracia, Leroy miranda and Booklady like this.
  12. border collie

border collie Archangels

Richard, your idea is very similar to what Jesus revealed to Luisa Piccarretta in Living in the Divine Will. Only that one would not be physically carrying the Eucharist but would have a profound awareness of Jesus living constantly in one's heart right throughout the day and would act accordingly.

Booklady, gracia and Byron like this.
  13. Richard67

Richard67 Powers

Thank you all for the responses. Maybe if I muster up the courage, I'll take this to my spiritual director for discernment.

Booklady and padraig like this.
  14. David Healy

David Healy St Pio Son

Hi Richard. The world is literally starving for the Eucharistic Lord. People are perishing for want of knowledge about Our Lord's presence, His Real Presence in the Blessed Sacrament. If you were to do some work to educate people on this then I am sure Our Lord would richly bless your endeavours.

May God bless you.

gracia and Mario like this.
  15. gracia

gracia Archangels

What about printing out cards or tracts about the Real Presence, to leave with people, or hand out?

16. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

Interesting...The Order of the Holy Eucharist. Sounds good in concept. But very difficult to control. Not sure many of us could act accordingly carrying God with us. Every action, reaction or event we put ourselves in. Could lead to desecration of Eucharist. Not to say it would happen to you but it would be very difficult to control your apostolate. Maybe a secret religious order...maybe a high ranking Opus Dei but even that would have many obstacles.

The concept seems wise but the implementation would be extremely difficult at best.

Brother al