1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

A Tough Start to Winter

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Mario, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Mario

Mario Powers

If someone had asked me how winter was progressing on the Feast of St. Nicholas back on Dec. 6 I would have been tempted to forecast a mild winter. After all, at that point we had only received 8 inches of snow and the temperatures had not been too cold. Alas the last 3 weeks have been tough. Right now we're struggling with frigid temps in the Northeast. This morning I awoke to -11F and the rest of the week will fare the same. The snow has been steady too, with our total up to 77 inches as of this morning.

But this is symptomatic of the whole area around Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. The city of Erie, PA. received 5 ft. of snow on Christmas and St Stephen's Days. The City of Oswego which is right on Lake Ontario declared a state of emergency. And to top it off, the village of Richland, which is 30 minutes east of us up on the Tug Hill Plateau has already received 170 inches of snow!

What a winter!

Safe in the Prayers of St. Nick!

Mary's child, AED, Patty and 4 others like this.
  2. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

We have been following this
    We have the cold air in place
    Not as cold as you but about 20 degrees below our normal
    Be careful
    What a tough start

3. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Ouch, Mario, -11 is about -23 celsius, and I can't even imagine what that much snow would be like. I drove to the supermarket about an hour ago. The temperature was about 0.5 celsius and they were gritting the roads. If we had your kind of weather the whole country would close down for winter.

Will say an extra prayer tonight that all those affected will be warm and safe.

HeavenlyHosts, Mario, AED and 2 others like this.
  4. heyshepard

heyshepard Principalities

Oh Yes Mario, I know how you are feeling... The Upper peninsula of Michigan gets it about 3 days ahead of you as it travels across the U.S. I pray that you all stay warm and safe. We didn't get a lot of snow but the sub temps we did get and it's expected to stick around a few more days. By New Years we were told it will get up to a balmy 5 degrees F. Almost bikini weather!!! :ROFLMAO:

5. AED

AED Powers

I know that area well. Snow is no joke. What a challenge for all of you. We are freezing in Maine with below zeroes and wind chills WAY below zero. Brrrr. So grateful for a warm roof over my head.
    My college roommate was from Oswego. I remember the stories! Yikes.

6. AED

AED Powers

The first thing my Dad said when he saw our home in Maine was”this is just like the UP.” He was a Michigan boy and I spent the first 14 years of my life there. I think maine is a lot like the Upper Peninsula.

7. Mario

Mario Powers

:D:LOL::LOL::LOL:!

Watertown is 30 miles north of us and they have temps more like the Upper peninsula. It was -32F up there this morning!

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

HeavenlyHosts and heyshepard like this.
  8. heyshepard

Wow! That's some frigid air! Please stay safe!

Carol55 and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  9. heyshepard

AED, I was born and raised Glens Fall NY. There was a lot of cold and very snowy days but I was young back then & the cold didn't bother my bones like it does now. There was a blizzard in the early 70's that we received an overwhelming amount of snow... It was enough that we could walk of the roof of the side porch and step down into the snow. I suspect it was mostly because of drifts but still the amount was very impressive.

Mary's child, Mario and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  10. Mario

Mario Powers

Dolours,

Thanks! Here in Oswego County, which is mostly rural, a lot of people have wood burning stoves. You can be sure mine is blazing away! Remember, we're accustomed to the snow and stuff. Now, I think people who live up on the Tug Hill (30 miles east) are nuts! They average 350 inches of snow each winter, it's always colder, and there's no highway within 25 minutes. It takes them forever to get anywhere! :eek: Why would anyone want to live there? :LOL::LOL: After all, we only get 200 inches of snow each winter and I'm only a few miles from Interstate 81! Even when Obama was in office I felt somewhat safe. I couldn't see him and his cohorts coming in snowshoes to get me!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Safe in the Refuge of the Immaculate Heart!

sterph, Mary's child, AED and 2 others like this.
  11. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Wow Mario that is some impressive snow and cold. Stay toasty! I am such a wimp now, with the rheumatism if it hits 30 degrees all my joints start aching and its time for a roaring fire. I hate to leave it!
    We did have a dusting of snow this year for Christmas eve which is about a once in 20 years event in the PNW. :)

12. Dolours

Dolours Powers

You'd need a forest of logs to keep warm in that kind of weather. I hope you don't have to chop them yourself. How do you manage to keep the water pipes from freezing? I know the pipes inside the house would be ok but what about the pipes leading into the house? Do you have to wrap them in special kind of lagging? When the temperature drops below freezing here some people leave a tap dripping overnight. Fortunately for them, the water charges were scrapped in the Autumn.

Too cold there for Obama. Flip-flops are more his style than snow shoes.

13. Rain

Rain Powers

It's so cold . . . the squirrels are throwing themselves against the electric fences and I had to chisel my dog from the fire hydrant.

maryrose, Seagrace, Dolours and 6 others like this.
  14. Heidi

Heidi Archangels

We also have a wood burner, with a propane tank for backup. Our well has frozen over twice in the last 3 years....hopefully it won’t again. It has been extremely cold here in Minnesota as well.

15. Mario

Mario Powers

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)

I must admit, Rain, you may not post too often, but what you lack in volume, you offset with humor!

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    AED likes this.
  16. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Is this an excerpt from a comedy routine ?
    I am gullible but.....
    :D

17. Mario

Mario Powers

Dolours,

Our 22 ft. dug well dates from 1830 and is just 10 ft. from the house. The pipe that runs from the foot valve into our basement is about 12 feet down, below the frost line. It does split into two lines once in the basement. One line goes to the electric pump and the other goes to a hand pump. If we ever go without power for more than 5 or 10 minutes we can switch over to the hand pump so that we have a water source.:) As far as heating goes we use about 11 face cords and 110 gallons of oil each winter. That ends up cheaper than gas or electric heat. We own a fair number of acres. About 2 out of the 11 cords this year are from our own property. The other is bought at $55/face cord.

Safe on the Father's Lap.

18. heyshepard

My prayers go out to all the people who parished and their families in the Bronx NY apartment. It sounds like dozens are dead. I imagine it is due to trying to stay warm.

19. AED

AED Powers

This is pretty much our story too including the hand pump. When we lived way up north on the Canadian Border we left the water dripping absolutely. If not—frozen pipes! Right now it’s so cold we are using oil wood and propane. Wood stove gas fire place and forced hot air. I thank God for it. I am about to leave for Mass in the frozen dark right now. Brrr. Has to be strength from my Guardian angel. I want to hide under the covers!

20. AED

AED Powers

Oh no. I didn’t know. Every day anew tragedy it seems.