1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

A question regarding etiquette..

Discussion in 'Positive Critique' started by Don_D, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Don_D

Don_D Powers

So I was wondering if anyone could help me with regard to something that happened recently during communion to both my wife and myself.

Twice now, (incidentally both times my wife and I have received communion from one of the ecumenical ministers at our parish) we have each had a long fake nail placed on our tongues when receiving the body of Christ. I felt revulsion over this wondering how many other people she had done this to before me. This is certainly not the way I think anyone should accept the Eucharist.

What would be the proper way to bring this up and to whom to give our EM's a friendly reminder? I will not receive in the hand. I won't get into a debate over it either. At the same time, I find it very hard to accept the Eucharist now except from our Priest or Deacon. I was hesitant to begin with and to have this happen straight out of the gate? Ugh.

2. Is it possible that this is totally accidental,, fake nails can be extremely long and the EM might not be aware of the stress that it is causing you ???

3. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

I feel your pain - I was highly frustrated with the female EM’s at my old parish. I was constantly worried that one of them would trip as they teetered in 3-4” heels while holding the Precious Blood. Not paranoia on my part, as this did happen and Precious Blood was spilt on the altar floor. I think those in charge are too afraid of offending anyone by insisting on flat foot ware, tragically. At your parish, have you noticed if the priest consistently uses the same location to distribute? I would say to just sit in that section. If you notice that no, he changes locations often, then another option is to sit in a back row and causally walk over to the line the priest is distributing in once it reaches the back. Just something I may have notice some people do occasionally ;)

AED likes this.
  4. Solanus.

Solanus. New Member

There is no proper way to bring this up as you call it. Just receive from a priest ordained to this purpose if possible. Don't you worry as to who see's what in the parish.

Just be true. This post amuses me somewhat as I wonder as to just why you are unsure.........

5. AED

AED Powers

Don I do everything I can to receive from the priest even if I have to take a long walk around to the other side of the church. I just can't receive from an EM. You are within your rights to do so too. I want to receive Our Lord from the consecrated hands of the priest. And I try very hard at every Mass to be sure I do. Don't hesitate or worry about the protocol.

6. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I wouldn't bring it up with anyone. Just go to the priest or another EMHC. There's no law saying you can't move to a different line for Communion. Before going up for Communion, wait and see where she will be standing and make sure you aren't in her line.

Carol55, Julia, David Healy and 2 others like this.
  7. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

I literally had an EM wipe his thumb on my tongue one time. Not a little wipe either. It was so gross. I totally know how you feel. I usually try to receive from the priest or deacon too, but had gone to the EM because it was a special, standing room only type Mass. I couldn't even pray reverently afterward because it was so disgusting.

Priests can have their own difficulties distributing on the tongue too though.
    I know of one priest who literally just tosses the Eucharist into the communicant's mouth. Another priest used to wipe his hand on the communicant's shoulder after distributing on the tongue. He tried to play it off like it was a kind gesture, but his real intentions were obvious.

Distributing directly onto someone's tongue seems to put some of these priests and EMs into a tizzy.
    Is it really that difficult???

Julia likes this.
  8. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Thanks. I'll do everything possible to receive from the Priest from here on out. At the very least I will just avoid these two women at all costs and leave it at that.

BrianK and Julia like this.
  9. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

The other conundrum to be prepared for is if the Bishop issues orders that all Communions must be distributed in the hand as in the case a few years back when there was a flu epidemic.

What I did that time was purchase a pair of white cotton gloves, and wore them for Holy Communion, so I could still receive without touching the Host. I know it is not ideal because of the danger of Particles falling from the Sacred Host. But it was better than receiving straight in my hand.

Thought to give you the advance warning, since we hear there is a flu going around in many places lately. And the Bishops could decide to do this again. They even stopped administering the Precious Blood when the last flu scare meant we could not receive on the tongue.

Don_D and DivineMercy like this.
  10. Shae

Shae Principalities

At my Parish, our Priest is not administering the Precious Blood right now due to the flu outbreak.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  11. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

I think that was a very thoughtful gesture on your part Julia. I remember when that outbreak happened and my bishop said the same thing. However, our priest was a devout Filipino, and as an aside told us that he would never deny communion to those who still chose to receive on the tongue. He has tried his best in the diocese that he is in :)

josephite, HeavenlyHosts and Shae like this.
  12. CrewDog

CrewDog Archangels

Gang!!
    Got to remember that we live in The Age of Lawyers & Litigation!! To protect itself, a Diocese in time of serious disease outbreaks must, quite simply, opt to the safe solution! To do otherwise would risk lawsuits and any number of "victims" coming forward claiming damages ...... if an outbreak were to be traced to the Church! I would also submit that "gun shy" insurance agencies would insist on the "safe solution" as well.

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!

PS: In one of his plays, The Bard wrote: "First we kill the lawyers" ... Merchant of Venice?

Shae likes this.
  13. Shae

Shae Principalities

Yikes! Never thought of that(n)

14. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

I only receive directly from the priest, then there is no problem.

So far priests are not allowed to wear long fake nails, though the way things seem to be going I can imagine that day is not far off :confused:

Mary's child and BrianK like this.