11 Days of Prayer

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by padraig, Jan 13, 2020 at 9:46 PM.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I worked right through Christmas and was really looking forward to 11 Days off which I promised myself I would give to prayer.

I'm coming to the end of them now and love to look back on them; thinking that the bottom line is ; did I learn anything, did they do any good, was I faithful in prayer.

Well they centred around the Latin Liturgy in my New Old Rite Parish. I struggle with the Old Mass. I read Pope St Pius x saying the lay person should try to follow what is going on. I have bought two breviaries. I downloaded a Latin Mass App (IMiss).

I tried to do a Holy Hour before each mass.

What did I find?

Well the first thing is the Church was so quiet! You Could have heard a pin drop. So quiet it was actually unnerving. Even on Sundays when the Church is pretty full not a single person speaking. Amazing.

Can I follow the Liturgy? Well better and better.

I love the gorgeous vestments and the incense.

The Homilies I would say 5 out of ten; pretty stilted. I love a story and a joke. Fulton Sheen would be my ideal.

Apart from the Church, the forum went down and this kind of lost me for the first week.

Am I any closer to God at the end of the time? Well so many things are happening all around us it can be so distracting. Al lI can say is I tried. Catholic Life is so often step by step. Nothing usually dramatic. Step by step.

I'm really, really saddened by the Mass Apostasy around me. Especially in Rome and the Higher Clergy. Its like my family got up and left me.

Sigh . This has a huge dulling effect. It really has.

I picked up one good thing from Our Lady which is a big help. She warns about worrying too much about things. She says it distracts from prayer. That when we are looking too much about bad things going on we are not looking at her.

So at least I learnt something.:)

The Holy Hours went so quick. With them and the mass and prayers after mass. Maybe two hours twenty minutes in Church on Sunday. But it passes pretty quick.

Shae, Jo M, Carol55 and 5 others like this.
  2. AED

AED Powers

Great post. I can identify!

3. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Good for you, Padraig. God is good.

Shae and padraig like this.
  4. padraig

padraig New Member

I notice the days are getting a tiny bit longer. If notice when it gets around now the heart starts to long for the Spring.

The Feasts are so different in the Old Rite. Also they repeat the same reading through the week , like a heart beat.

If anyone is looking for a good app for the Latin MAss I recommend.

IMISS.

It includes the Rituale, the Breviary, the Missal and live broadcasts of the old Mass from round the world.

Shae, Jo M, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.
  5. maryrose

maryrose Powers

I really like the old Mass if the organ is being played as it carries you with it and it's transcendental.
    One thing I miss is the scripture readings in English. Ideally I would like a combination of the Latin Mass with the daily scripture readings in the vernacular.

Shae, Jo M, padraig and 3 others like this.
  6. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Transcendent is the word not transcendental

Shae and AED like this.
  7. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Maryrose, here in the US, the priest reads the Scriptures in Latin, but just before the homily, he reads them in English. It helps. Padraig is right, the readings echo.

Shae and AED like this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

I always bring the Imiss app on my smartphone to do the daily readings in English. For Sunday I have the reading in English in my Breviary.

I would be more than a little careful of modern English readings in Church , many of the , 'Translations' are quite wicked.

Shae and AED like this.
  9. padraig

padraig New Member

Last night for my last Holy Hour before returning to work, I thought I saw a vision! A young nun in the gloom gliding about in full habit and wimple. veil nearly to the ground, a huge pair of rosary beads at her girdle.

She must be a Traditionalist Nun sent to help out. Not a trace of make up. So devout. She knelt upright for an hour without twitching so much as her nose. I couldn't help staring a little. Like being in a little time machine. Really like a vision.

Why on Earth did we dump this stuff? Such a delight. She did Sacristant so ably. It reminded me that that was St Therese's favourite Office in Carmel.

I wonder would she let me take a picture with her for the forum? I am a little shy.

I just love all this. So Catholic.

Shae, djmoforegon, SgCatholic and 4 others like this.